Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-10-2008, 12:20 AM   #41
keljad

thanks for that grego. I was looking at placing the transducer out on the wings as you have done, but wasny sure how it would go.

Nice battery box also..........I am presuming the 7a/h battery is lying on its side inside??? Does this damage the battery??

James

keljad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:47 PM   #42
SteveK
Junior

This was on KFS's site, another Bassyaks X-13

That live well is GREAT!!

When mounting your transducer "Flame treat" the hull before you do anything that's a very important step that beginners neglect to do.

tightlines Steve
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #43
YakAss

I don't have much room to speak since I'm still looking at buying a kayak, but what is that thing? looks like my son's Transformer came to lifelol.
YakAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:28 AM   #44
mattyoga

Flame Treating the Hull

Could you elaborate a little on flame treating the hull? Is this too smooth it out?

Also if you mount the xducer on the side, does it effect the readnig much as its now on an angle rather than horizontal?

Cheers
Matt
mattyoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:23 PM   #45
Grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyoga View Post
Could you elaborate a little on flame treating the hull?
Not sure what you mean? After sanding it helps burn off those little hairs of plastic and also helps the adhesive of whatever your putting on stick a little better.

When I worked at MK we would flame treat the hull if there was a dent on the bottom to pop it back out, and we would flame treat the red kayaks because it made that particular color come out looking a lot brighter.

For the other post, I haven't had a problem with the batteries laying on the side.
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:25 AM   #46
fyr4efect
Junior

X-13 newbie

Hey Greg,

Saw your X-13 modes..very kool.I am a newbie and have a X-13 on the way.I am mainly going to use it for lake bass fishing.At 250# 6 ft.I have been told it might be too small and unstable.Any opinion?

Mike
fyr4efect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:11 AM   #47
Grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyr4efect View Post
Hey Greg,

Saw your X-13 modes..very kool.I am a newbie and have a X-13 on the way.I am mainly going to use it for lake bass fishing.At 250# 6 ft.I have been told it might be too small and unstable.Any opinion? Mike
Mike, I don't have an opinion, my experience is only with my own weight (165lbs). Perhaps Andy "Iceman" can give you an opinion based on feedback from his customer base?
Old 09-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #48
cabojohn
PROBATION

I paddled a X-13 today...went to Sunset OEX and talked with Andy.
He let me test paddle one of his rentals. I will be adding a X13 to my fleet. What I like best about the X-13 is that I can put TRIPLE flush mount rod holders on the rear of the kayak!!!
The kayak paddled like a dream! After a quick paddle I realized that I NEED ONE in my fleet. This just might be my primary kayak.
It's a little different from anything I have paddled before. I would say its something in between my Tarpon 160i & Prowler 13. (I love both of these kayaks) The deck layout is great too. Although I paddled the kayak with no extra weight, the X13 feels well balanced and I wouldn't hesitate to use a x13 on a long distance paddle or go throug any surf! I know the X13 surfs good too, I watch Tman ride a really big wave at Sano at the last surf club day. AWESOME!
I have / had many many differnt fishing kayaks...if I had to pick just one kayak for me, it would probably be the X13.
I just cant decide which color? Hot Pink???

***anyone looking for a good all around fishing kayak should test paddle the X13.

$.02
cabo j

PS- Thanks Grego for showing me how I want mine set up.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:34 AM   #49
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Saw your X-13 modes..very kool.I am a newbie and have a X-13 on the way.I am mainly going to use it for lake bass fishing.At 250# 6 ft.I have been told it might be too small and unstable.Any opinion? Mike
That same day at San O, before T Man caught a wave, a 250 pound (Land Whale) rode an impressive wave in on my X 13.

The X 13 is plenty stable and will work for you, doing mainly freshwater I assume you won't be adding an extra 100 pounds of bait tank and gear.

I just brought in the 3 gallon bucket tanks as I think keeping the load as light as possible retain the benefits that this kayak offers in ease of paddling.

Thanks for the rave review John.......the price is still the price
Old 12-13-2008, 07:06 PM   #50
Kansas Tree Rat

Hi Guys
Thanks for the great info on the X13. I plan to order one soon. The one thing that I have been thinking is that the large BLACK hatch would draw a lot of unnecessary heat. I think the first thing I will do is paint it. Was thinking maybe just primer grey. Any thoughts on this?
Kansas Tree Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #51
Flyfisher70

Very nice and clean looking kayak.
Thanks for sharing all the cool ideas.
Flyfisher70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:51 PM   #52
jaywo
Junior

You look like you've done this before so I intend on copying you a lot. I have an x13 that I have yet to drill a whole in. Part of being new to this and a pansy I guess. Can you tell me specifically how you put the plug together for the bow scupper, specifically the screw type and how you attached the cord. I also wanted to get your thoughts on putting a 4 inch hatch in the bow well to access the inside of the hull. I want to put my FF at the end of one of the footwells to keep it off the center bridge, but can't do it without inner hull access from the inside of the live well. Thanks
jaywo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #53
Grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywo View Post
You look like you've done this before so I intend on copying you a lot. I have an x13 that I have yet to drill a whole in. Part of being new to this and a pansy I guess. Can you tell me specifically how you put the plug together for the bow scupper, specifically the screw type and how you attached the cord. I also wanted to get your thoughts on putting a 4 inch hatch in the bow well to access the inside of the hull. I want to put my FF at the end of one of the footwells to keep it off the center bridge, but can't do it without inner hull access from the inside of the live well. Thanks
I'll put some pics up of the plug tomorrow, it's real simple. Andy "Iceman" did that hatch there already...maybe he'll respond or give him a call at the oex sunset beach store. I would do it another way if all I wanted to do was put a fish finder there. I would've used those plastic thing-a-ma-jigs that you pound into a hole and then when you screw the screw it "stars" out. They rate for like 125lbs of pressure. Then tape the power and ducer wire ends to a straightened out clothes hanger and feed the wire up the hole to the FF. Use the same plug type to make that hole water tight.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:32 PM   #54
Grego

Here's the plug....how i put a string on it isn't key to anything....just do whatever works with what you got. You can figure out how i did it from the photo.