Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2013, 03:57 AM   #1
BrokeLoser

My personal Mothership....

Picked me up a new toy for the offshore stuff I want to do. I'm not giving up my yak by no means...Do any of you have boats that you cart your kayak around on? If so, how are you strapping it to the boat without screwing things up? I'm considering a yakima / thule type rack system for the hard-top but I'm not sure if it would take the pounding of the sea. Any suggestions?

BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #2
Tandem Assassin

NICE....
Tandem Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:18 AM   #3
CKallday71

So how long would it take to get to Catalina in that thing? I'm thinking 4 or 5 people, Yaks on top, everybody pitches in for gas, bait and beer!
CKallday71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
BrokeLoser

Haha...fishes 4-6 comfortably...24mph cruising speed...Catalina in just over an hour
Old 05-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
TJones

broke?

i can come up with my share . lets go fishing .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKallday71 View Post
So how long would it take to get to Catalina in that thing? I'm thinking 4 or 5 people, Yaks on top, everybody pitches in for gas, bait and beer!
2 yaks maybe 3.

Nice boat.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
MrPatrick

I'm thinking Mini-X's on the bow.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
dorado50

Cool mothership! Personally, I would be more concerned with having a radar on that boat considering you'll be fishing and cruising So Cal waters. Getting caught in the fog going to and from Catalina can get hairy!. With radar you'll also be able to travel at night with more confidence. Just stick your kayak between gunnel and cabin(use towels for padding). It will be fine!. If it doesn't fit get a mini-x.......
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
finyak

Very nice,I've always liked those Stripers.If your ever in San Diego and you need a boat ho give me a call .
finyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
StinkyMatt

Dude,

You just made 127 new friends!

Hi, my name is Matt, can I be your friend?
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #11
JeffB

Nice! No but if I owned one I would tote around yaks for sure!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
Cool mothership! Personally, I would be more concerned with having a radar on that boat considering you'll be fishing and cruising So Cal waters. Getting caught in the fog going to and from Catalina can get hairy!. With radar you'll also be able to travel at night with more confidence. Just stick your kayak between gunnel and cabin(use towels for padding). It will be fine!. If it doesn't fit get a mini-x.......
I plan to add a radar at some point...in the meantime I have to use it in fair weather with only a GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finyak View Post
Very nice,I've always liked those Stripers.If your ever in San Diego and you need a boat ho give me a call .
haha...thanks, will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Dude,

You just made 127 new friends!

Hi, my name is Matt, can I be your friend?
I thought we were already friends Matt...WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
Nice! No but if I owned one I would tote around yaks for sure!
That's definitely the plan
Old 05-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #13
bubblehide

Custom top.

Seriously, contact Jim Day, send him a PM. He is a professional metal sculpture-er, with a graduate degree in it. The guy can fabricate anything. He can build you a folding top that will fold out to hold that yaks, rods, and radar; and then fold in half when your not carrying the yaks, while still carrying rods and radar. I mean fold down to the size of what you have now. His prices are more than reasonable, as you get way more than you pay for.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #14
SoCalCJ

Let me know when you want to buddy boat to the island! Never taken the PA over, but thought about it a lot. I have a little OK scrambler I load up on the bow and usually put SUP's on the sides. Enjoy the new mother ship!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.3 KB, 259 views)
SoCalCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #15
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
Seriously, contact Jim Day, send him a PM. The guy can fabricate anything.
Yeah, yeah, yeah.... I build shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
I'm considering a yakima / thule type rack system for the hard-top but I'm not sure if it would take the pounding of the sea. Any suggestions?
Here's the deal. I don't know enough about the Yak/thule system to say if it's any good for marine use but in general racks made for cars are usually too thin, not rigid enough, the wrong type of alloy and eventually sometimes quickly break up and fail.

Aluminum work hardens very quickly, and the stronger the alloy the faster it hardens. What that means as if it bends or flexes it's gets harder and more brittle. With boats especially small ones you have all kinds of motion not found on a truck or car. Pounding swaying rolling through swell all put stress on a rack and if it bends or flexes it work hardens and cracks.

I've built a lot of racks for big boats like this 56 Ocean:

That boat will cruise at 20 knots through six foot seas but it will still roll around a lot, and that inflatable on the rack on the bow weighs about half as much as your boat. In other words the rack is subjected to a ton of stress, and that is on a big solid boat that doesn't bounce around like your boat will in rough conditions.

No matter what kind of racks I build, inflatable, jet ski, Kayak, I always use the same stuff. 6061 T6 Aluminum with a minimum of 1/8 wall thickness. You can weld the shit out of it, it's solid and if the rack is built correctly it won't flex or crack.

Bottom line is there are no maybes. It's not a car it's a boat, and if your rack is not bullet proof it will fail.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 05-21-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #16
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
I would be more concerned with having a radar on that boat considering you'll be fishing and cruising So Cal waters...... Just stick your kayak between gunnel and cabin(use towels for padding). It will be fine!. If it doesn't fit get a mini-x.......
Radar is great but far more necessary on a larger boat. I've probably got over a thousand hours offshore running in the dark on skiffs under 25 feet without radar, and have only had a few instances where fog was a real issue. Twice heading out for Mexico out of Shelter Island, and once fishing PV. I actually have radar for my skiff but almost never use it. For me I'm more worried about things radar can't pick up in a skiff: like logs, pallets, semi submerged junk, kayakers etc....

Radar tends to give people overconfidence in my honest opinion. I once was fishing with a guy on his 25 skippy flybridge with radar and we got fogged out. While running in at a good twenty knots (crazy IMO) he almost ran right over some kayakers fishing right outside the harbor. He wasn't even paying attention just watching the screen and though he could see the breakwall he never saw them until I yelled at him when I saw them.

I'm with you on kayak storage. That boat has tuna written all over it. I'd be more worried about setting it up for offshore use then anything else.

A while back we did a three kayak trip aboard my buddies 23CC. This is how we stored the yaks.

Two X-13s on one side and a bigger Kevler Kayak on the other with no problems.

I actually built a custom aluminum tower and seat post for that boat but it's set up for finding tuna not carrying kayaks:

If I was him I'd concentrate on fish areas like the 302 and 9 with that skiff this summer season then figure out what he needs to change next winter.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 05-21-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #17
BrokeLoser

Finally made a trip over to Catalina with the yaks.....
Mounted my 138lb Hobie Pro Angler on the hard top and a Malibu Stealth 14 across the transom...worked great, didn't budge an inch in pretty big seas.
I built the 'rack' out of 3/4" PVC and two $3 pool noodles from Walmart...Total cost...about $12