Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2017, 01:29 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Huntington Harbor, 1-6-17

Launched about 9:30 from OEX with Landwhale. Water was dirty and cold. Air warmish with a light south breeze. We headed to the main channel and drifted and paddled all the way to the bridge with the out going tide. A few bites and a very small sand bass were the results. Fished around the bridge for a small sponge and no bites. Met couple of nice guys fly fishing. They weren't having any better luck and had been out since 7:00. Current died at this point. Tried the buoy line for the reserve for one bite and Steve caught a rattlesnake there. Finally, we worked our way back up the channel and called it a short day about 12:00.

My yak for today was a 2014 Wilderness Systems Ride 135. I loved the stability. Of course the drawback is it's a little more work to paddle compared to the Trident. Seat was ok and footwells worked ok for my weird foot angle. I loved that it is completely dry, even with my big carcass in it. I'll definitely be buying this yak when I sell my current yak.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Launched about 9:30 from OEX with Landwhale. Water was dirty and cold. Air warmish with a light south breeze. We headed to the main channel and drifted and paddled all the way to the bridge with the out going tide. A few bites and a very small sand bass were the results. Fished around the bridge for a small sponge and no bites. Met couple of nice guys fly fishing. They weren't having any better luck and had been out since 7:00. Current died at this point. Tried the buoy line for the reserve for one bite and Steve caught a rattlesnake there. Finally, we worked our way back up the channel and called it a short day about 12:00.

My yak for today was a 2014 Wilderness Systems Ride 135. I loved the stability. Of course the drawback is it's a little more work to paddle compared to the Trident. Seat was ok and footwells worked ok for my weird foot angle. I loved that it is completely dry, even with my big carcass in it. I'll definitely be buying this yak when I sell my current yak.
good report Ed, how is the ride for paddling. It has the same bottom as the radar that I plan on trying out soon. Would you feel okay in it launching from LJ? What is a rattlesnake doing in Huntington Harbor? I'm guessing you aren't talking about a real rattlesnake. I caught a real rattlesnake about 4' long at Skinner once and when I landed him my brother bailed out of the boat on me. I told him he wasn't allowed in the water but he said he would rather get a ticket than be in that boat with me and the rattler. The rattler was a little pissy at me when I was getting the bass plug out of his hide but he swam away when I let him go, at that point my brother got back in the boat because he didn't like being in the lake with the rattler.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:33 PM   #3
Amish Ed

Rattlesnake = Sculpin

Funny story too. I would have been hard pressed not to join your brother.