Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-08-2018, 02:51 PM   #1
TJones

While I am online

I am disappointed with the lack of fish reports this year? Are you guys holding out again? I do have to admit, I’m not on the board this year. Lost a few nice chances. Slow start for me.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:27 PM   #2
Caseym

Whoopers at LJ!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
I am disappointed with the lack of fish reports this year? Are you guys holding out again? I do have to admit, I’m not on the board this year. Lost a few nice chances. Slow start for me.
This morning I launched in idyllic conditions. I backed the Tacoma down near the waters edge, sipped on my still warm coffee as my leather Reefs “flip flopped” beneath my feet in the semi wet sand. I peered out through the light marine layer and spotted but one distant light on the horizon. The tiny waves quietly lapped against the shore, todays launch would be serene. I removed the straps from my Hobie and slid her onto the sand. A gull flew by and glanced downward toward my empty hull. I climbed back in my truck and cranked the heater, fleetwood mac was playing on Pandora and I slowed my roll to take it all in.
Hobie was prepped, 4wd engaged and i left to park. As if a gift from heaven, a large truck pulled out beside the beach and I parked within eyesight of my olive colored plastic machine. Effortlessly I was again back at my yak, dragging her into the probably cold water....waders keeping me warm and dry. I made my way out to the kelpline, trolling a sabiki 20’ behind. Water filled my baittank and equally returned to the jewel. My lightline twitched and my pole bent....greenbacks were easily made. 9 pieces, big and small, lively and ready to perform. I kicked away from the kelp and slightly bent the steering rudder lever toward 1 oclock as the bow took a course off shore. A grey whale quietly changed the surface texture, replaced a breath and silently slipped back beneath the surface. Another kayak was already in the zone zigging and zagging out off the point. We exchanged a simple “hello”, neither asking ‘The Question’, but both wondering. I drop a mac back and 10 minutes of kicking later and suddenly my 6’er begins singing! I swing around and position the butt into the seat, reeling to set the circle in the corner. He dives, head shakes and i lean back into the seat. Pop Pop Pop go the stringers...free again to continue the battle. 3 minutes later and hes at color. I shorten the leader..... Gaff in the right, rod in the left...STUCK him!! I calmly hook him through the gills and mouth like a Greg Andrew halibut, cut a gill and watch the fishy flavor bleed into the pacific....leaving only 32lbs of bled out, tasty Hamachi !! Slid him into my icy bag, zipped it closed and smiled, knowing dinner will be different tonight. I returned to another hour and three macs of trolling. Just passed 9 rod #2 is now buzzing. Repeat for a 26#er. I handed off my remaining macs, karma level 10. Surf now is up, i pull my drive and stow it for the landing. As i paddle toward the sand a green rolling ball of liquid energy approaches from the rear. Im too late to back out. I paddle hard, feel the swell lift and push my yak, now tripling my speed. I drag the left paddle and watch as the shoulder stands up tall. i draw a line down the face and watch as the lip curls up and over my head. The green room engulfs me and I count to 3....then I am spit out just as the face begins to close out. I drag the right paddle and straighten my yak....10 seconds later i slide up onto the sand, raise the paddle above my head and mutter under my breath “Hell Yeaahh that just happened!” I am surrounded by beachgoers who raise me into their shoulders, carry me up the beach and all i hear are cheers! I imagine OCCY in the late 80’s after winning Pipeline!! I load everything into my truck and begin my drive home. I turn on the radio and Ice Cube is on and I join him in singing “Today Was A Good Day!”

Regardless of whether I sold my yak two years ago...its my reality....so maybe it did happen.
-Cheers!
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:03 PM   #3
kirkdavis

And then...

your alarm clock rang and you had to get up to go to work.

Great story! Regardless of the facts, you had me hooked.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #4
aftahour

what a story!
aftahour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:58 PM   #5
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseym View Post
This morning I launched in idyllic conditions. I backed the Tacoma down near the waters edge, sipped on my still warm coffee as my leather Reefs “flip flopped” beneath my feet in the semi wet sand. I peered out through the light marine layer and spotted but one distant light on the horizon. The tiny waves quietly lapped against the shore, todays launch would be serene. I removed the straps from my Hobie and slid her onto the sand. A gull flew by and glanced downward toward my empty hull. I climbed back in my truck and cranked the heater, fleetwood mac was playing on Pandora and I slowed my roll to take it all in.
Hobie was prepped, 4wd engaged and i left to park. As if a gift from heaven, a large truck pulled out beside the beach and I parked within eyesight of my olive colored plastic machine. Effortlessly I was again back at my yak, dragging her into the probably cold water....waders keeping me warm and dry. I made my way out to the kelpline, trolling a sabiki 20’ behind. Water filled my baittank and equally returned to the jewel. My lightline twitched and my pole bent....greenbacks were easily made. 9 pieces, big and small, lively and ready to perform. I kicked away from the kelp and slightly bent the steering rudder lever toward 1 oclock as the bow took a course off shore. A grey whale quietly changed the surface texture, replaced a breath and silently slipped back beneath the surface. Another kayak was already in the zone zigging and zagging out off the point. We exchanged a simple “hello”, neither asking ‘The Question’, but both wondering. I drop a mac back and 10 minutes of kicking later and suddenly my 6’er begins singing! I swing around and position the butt into the seat, reeling to set the circle in the corner. He dives, head shakes and i lean back into the seat. Pop Pop Pop go the stringers...free again to continue the battle. 3 minutes later and hes at color. I shorten the leader..... Gaff in the right, rod in the left...STUCK him!! I calmly hook him through the gills and mouth like a Greg Andrew halibut, cut a gill and watch the fishy flavor bleed into the pacific....leaving only 32lbs of bled out, tasty Hamachi !! Slid him into my icy bag, zipped it closed and smiled, knowing dinner will be different tonight. I returned to another hour and three macs of trolling. Just passed 9 rod #2 is now buzzing. Repeat for a 26#er. I handed off my remaining macs, karma level 10. Surf now is up, i pull my drive and stow it for the landing. As i paddle toward the sand a green rolling ball of liquid energy approaches from the rear. Im too late to back out. I paddle hard, feel the swell lift and push my yak, now tripling my speed. I drag the left paddle and watch as the shoulder stands up tall. i draw a line down the face and watch as the lip curls up and over my head. The green room engulfs me and I count to 3....then I am spit out just as the face begins to close out. I drag the right paddle and straighten my yak....10 seconds later i slide up onto the sand, raise the paddle above my head and mutter under my breath “Hell Yeaahh that just happened!” I am surrounded by beachgoers who raise me into their shoulders, carry me up the beach and all i hear are cheers! I imagine OCCY in the late 80’s after winning Pipeline!! I load everything into my truck and begin my drive home. I turn on the radio and Ice Cube is on and I join him in singing “Today Was A Good Day!”

Regardless of whether I sold my yak two years ago...its my reality....so maybe it did happen.
-Cheers!
Like a penthouse forum letter.who cares if reait's real.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:43 PM   #6
Orca Winfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
Like a penthouse forum letter.who cares if reait's real.
LOL! Can’t believe it happened to me. Awesome story. Reminds me of how Barney McKenna of The Dubliners described a fisherman’s bar in Ireland and how there were more fish caught in there than have ever been caught in the sea.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:16 AM   #7
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

You forgot about the mermaid happy ending

But the rest of the story was most excellent.

Last edited by katchfish; 05-09-2018 at 02:37 AM.
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:23 AM   #8
steveooo

Excellent I think anyone who has been bit by this bug has played the day out in their head over and over. Post o' the month!

Quote:

-Cheers!
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:09 AM   #9
TJones

so another words ?

Quote:

-Cheers!
you just made 90% of the Local's look like spit in one of the most trying years in half a decade? . any pics ?
Old 05-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #10
TJones

I knew it was a bad idea

what have I done?
Old 05-09-2018, 09:27 AM   #11
Harry Hill

I thought that story was going to be submitted to Penthouse by the time we got to the end.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #12
dpasinli

Curren still rips over Occy....and thanks for the 3 min mental mind bang! Cool post nonetheless, thanks!!
dpasinli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #13
JJ

I need a cigarette after that one for sure
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #14
goldenglory18

I havent been out nearly as much this season as I was last year.

New gig + accelerated school schedule = not nearly as much time to fish.

Worst part, the misses gave me the go-fwd to buy the next kayak. I DONT EVEN HAVE TIME FOR THE ONE I HAVE NOW. I sear that woman is a genius and knew I wasnt going to be able to pull the trigger any time soon. Clever girl....
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:39 PM   #15
jorluivil

I haven't caught anything that's worth reporting

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote