Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2016, 07:18 AM   #1
PapaDave

I've fished Dana now from kayak for about 5 years now. I have a few techniques that work fairly well for bass and halibut.

First, I usually use live bait from the receiver, usually sardines.

For calico bass I will usually use a a light setup. Typically this setup is comprised of 20-25lb braid with a 2-3' 15lb floro leader attached with a swivel (to keep the sinker from going forward) and a 1/2 to 3/4oz sliding sinker. I look for kelp, or these days bottom structure and drift over it while flylining the bait about half way down.

For sand bass, the same setup only using a 2-3oz sliding sinker and drift over or to the side of the structure either bouncing the weight along the bottom or slightly off the bottom.

For halibut, I use the same setup only using slightly heavier floro leader, about 25lb and a 4-5oz sinker. I drift this on the outside edges of the structure and keep it on the bottom as much as possible.

I use a sliding sinker setup because in my experience out there it doesn't get stuck on the rocks or bottom as much as a dropper setup.

I also have done fairly well using plastics and hard baits. Trolling a Rapala Shadow Rap Deep 11 in mackerel, olive green or perch colors over the kelp or structure areas is very effective. The perch one looks a lot like baby WSB, the calicos love em...

Most important s to explore the area, you'll find fish all over if you look.