Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-07-2020, 09:16 AM   #141
Harry Hill

I haven't bought a new engine for a long time, they never used to have kill switches on them, one of the reasons so many fisherman drowned when out by themselves in small boats. I guess I should have known that in todays world that would be required.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:20 AM   #142
FISH11

Solo Skiff

I had a change off plans on how I wanted a few accessories installed and that has taken a little longer, with having to re-think options. I changed how I wanted the transducer mounted, because I wanted it to not only be able to move out of the way for transport but also be able to kick up in case of hitting an object. So I ended up making my own braket, that also didn't put any holes on the hull below water line. The rear 3 rod holders on each side are for carrying the rods and keeping them out of the way and still allows good motor turning for harder right turns with the tiller. I also decided I wanted them removable and use Mighty Mount XLs, for a cleaner deck when not using them. Stupid cell phone it's rotating the pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200706_181742.jpg (51.8 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg 20200706_181737.jpg (48.8 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg 20200706_083845.jpg (41.5 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg 20200706_083823.jpg (41.8 KB, 244 views)
Old 07-07-2020, 11:45 AM   #143
NICKWORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
Do you guys put a dead man switch on the engine? I know that people get thrown from skiffs when they hit a crossing swell or wake from another boat. From the videos I've watched so far the Solo Skiff moves at a pretty good pace so it looks like it would be easy to get thrown overboard. It would get real lonely to watch your skiff going off into the sunset while you waited for someone to find you. I like the Solo Skiff but there isn't much to hold onto when things get rough.
I attach this to my ankle and the kill switch, allows me to move about freely but if tossed over it will kill motor. My buddy went over 2x on Sunday, learning curve, gotta learn to roll with the swells and throttle in and out, confidence is earned with time on water!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200707-124234_Amazon Shopping.jpg (39.1 KB, 237 views)
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:52 AM   #144
NICKWORN

[QUOTE=FISH11;308887] The rear 3 rod holders on each side are for carrying the rods and keeping them out of the way and still allows good motor turning for harder right turns with the tiller.

Yep, totally stealing that idea!

Just need to see if they would interfere with my H-Rail Hobie rod holders, i dont think so depending on placement. I may just attach a 3-pack to the outside of my milk-crate, the tiller never reaches that far as making too sharp of turns is going to end with you in the drink. I really kept an eye on my turning angles Sunday with my two rod holders inside the crate, one was for the gaf and the other for an extra rod, never came close to hitting them.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:56 AM   #145
NICKWORN

We all noticed a little water in our Skiffs, Google revealed the rod holders, similar to the PA tend to let water in if you get swamped or reverse to fast. Skiff made to allow all water to flush out of the stern. So I found these and plugged em, gonna paint black.

The reason the rod holders suck is the pole and reels are exposed to the salt water if you take on water.

I also found alot of eel grass in my intake impeller, solved by using a kitchen drain mesh stopper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200706_165353.jpg (64.8 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200706_173912_01.jpg (52.5 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg 20200706_165346.jpg (75.8 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg 20200706_173751.jpg (26.5 KB, 234 views)
Old 07-07-2020, 11:59 AM   #146
NICKWORN

Never ending customization's

That's why i love these platforms, comes naked, allows for each individuals unique take on what they want.

#personalizedskiffs

Motor finally completed its 10hr break-in, gonna change oil and lower gear oil and smashed out to LJ this weekend!

TIME!!
Old 07-07-2020, 09:40 PM   #147
FISH11

[QUOTE=NICKWORN;308893]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
The rear 3 rod holders on each side are for carrying the rods and keeping them out of the way and still allows good motor turning for harder right turns with the tiller.

Yep, totally stealing that idea!
Just need to see if they would interfere with my H-Rail Hobie rod holders, i don't think so depending on placement. I may just attach a 3-pack to the outside of my milk-crate, the tiller never reaches that far as making too sharp of turns is going to end with you in the drink. I really kept an eye on my turning angles Sunday with my two rod holders inside the crate, one was for the gaf and the other for an extra rod, never came close to hitting them.
No problem, that's why I shared my Idea. Got the stainless bolts, washers and nylock nuts and aluminum piece for top bracket, at Lowes. Long Mighty Mount XLs on the bottom attached to the inside of the gunnel and short Mighty Mount XLson the top. I used the aluminum pop rivets that are used for eyelets and other deck attachments. They are made to split is three sections and they are compressed by the rivet hand tool. When making the short top brace to the top of the gunnel, heat up the aluminum first before trying to make the sharp bend. The first one I bent slowly and was ok, the second I was a little impatient and it broke at the bend. If you heat that area first then the aluminum can stretch without cracking. Because of the angle of the hull, they have a slight outward tilt and give a little extra clearance for the tiller arm. They are removable and are really solid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post
That's why i love these platforms, comes naked, allows for each individuals unique take on what they want.

#personalizedskiffs

Motor finally completed its 10hr break-in, gonna change oil and lower gear oil and smashed out to LJ this weekend! TIME!!
Congrats on the 10 hrs break in. I'm taking mine out to Mission Bay to do some of my break in time, so it can be ready for the deeper water. I agree on the blank canvas, it makes it so much easier to add what you use and not have items that are not important to every owner. Thanks for the link for the seat and the heads up on the on deck rod tube leaking. I will pull one out to check if they might just need a little marine goop at seams or deck surface. When I installed the 8" Hobie hatch for the aerator install access on the bow I noticed the tube are just laying against the inside of the hull. I though that they might slap against the hull, so I put a piece of pool noodle under and made like a U under then and applied a small amount of marine goop to the noddle just a few drops so the noodle can't move.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:49 PM   #148
tak100
Recruit

Thanks for sharing guys. Giving me lots of great ideas.

Mine is supposed to be shipped this week, crossing my fingers.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:23 PM   #149
FISH11

Thumbs up

Took my Solo Skiff out to Mission Bay to put a few hours of break in time on the outboard motor. Launched at Dana Landing around 3:50 pm and headed out to the Jetty cause I wanted to see how it would handle with the swell going out and coming in. Going out was a piece of cake, coming back was fun learning the behavior of the Solo with a following sea and large boat wakes. It took a few minuted to get used to sitting so high. Kayak fishing the last 7 years, I never had a kayak were you are so far above the water. After getting used to the sway on the swell and large boat wakes. Coming back in was fun when I could match the swells coming in . It was almost like surfing. Tried slowing down to see the reaction to the swells passing and how that changed things. Took a couple bass rods to troll while motoring, but the speed was faster then was good for trolling, because the break in process was what the main point was. There were a lot of tourist on rental boat, pontoon boats and sit on Jet Skis. Bottom line I had to holler at several that didn't think the 5 mph buoys were for the entire channel areas. They are oblivious to the fact that all other boats are going slow (what should I have expected, it's Summer time). Anyway it was fun to take it out on it's maiden voyage and escape the 90+ degree weather up at my house for this last week. As I expected trying to load it back on to the truck bed and extender was not as easy as the unloading it by myself. Had to remove the motor first because my truck is high enough that the bed extender was still 18"-20"above the water with my rear tire in the water up to the rims. Once the motor was off lifting the Solo onto the bed extender was easy. The seat is awesome, great support and I could brace my feet on the front part on the deck and I used the bow attached rope to hold on with my right hand when bracing for going through the choppy parts and large swells. All in all the Solo is SWEET.. Have to make a couple more trips to finish the break in, then I'll concentrate on the fishing. Did not have any problem with any water getting inside. The live well worked good, but I might use a 12v battery, because the flow in a little slower than I would like. I think the length from pump to aerator has a lot to do with it. Still have to cut out and install the deck mat material I bought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7559 (2).jpg (52.2 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7565 (2).jpg (61.5 KB, 210 views)
Old 07-09-2020, 07:27 AM   #150
NICKWORN

RIGHT ON!!

She does take a second to get used but when ya do its a super stable platform.

How you like that seat all the way offset?
Old 07-09-2020, 09:10 AM   #151
Sdspeed

What's the thought behind the offset of the seat vs. centered?
Is everyone running 6hp motors and is it needed or could a 4-5hp work ?
thx
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:09 AM   #152
FISH11

Smile

Quote:
She does take a second to get used but when ya do its a super stable platform.

How you like that seat all the way offset?
It is good because it's just even with the side edge of the hatch and slightly over the front edge. I used some of the time the tiller extension and it would just clear the back to turn left and was just in the perfect spot to just rest my left elbow when going straight and not need to have my left arm behind me. The seat is AWESOME! It's very comfortable and as you said saves your back and core, plus the rotating base makes it easy to change body position and even turn around while still sitting. Also love that the rotating base makes the seat removal so easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
What's the thought behind the offset of the seat vs. centered?
Is everyone running 6hp motors and is it needed or could a 4-5hp work ?
thx
I've seen videos of guys using trolling motors on the back or 2.5 and 3.5 hp motors. But whats the point of the lesser hp. The price is about the same and without the extra hp it would be harder to control is rough water. The offset on the seat is because if you see video of guys not using a seat, they are almost sitting sideways with the feet on top of the gunnel. They are trying to brace their body, but fighting being balanced. I saw a couple guys using a rope from the bow and thought that's a great way to help brace on choppy water or surf and I made it long enough to help when loading or unloading to keep it from getting away from you, because of any current. Here is a short (64 seconds) GoProQuick video of the going out the Mission Bay Jetty to test out how it handled rough, choppy water and reaction to following seas.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:05 PM   #153
FISH11

Solo Skiff

Just finished putting on some deck mat material. Bought a large sheet and cut out the pattern I wanted. I think that's probably the last accessory I want to put on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200710_161513~2.jpg (42.3 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg 20200710_161343~2.jpg (74.2 KB, 183 views)
Old 07-11-2020, 06:41 AM   #154
NICKWORN

Transom saver

The first trip out I noticed my outboard jumped over a half in on the left side, so I loosened and repositioned it. Went on google and end up making this.

Two screws in the notches and some permathane SM7180, she ain't going anywhere now. I use that blue rubber tie down to keep the handles secured to one another.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200710_175335.jpg (51.7 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg 20200710_175324.jpg (61.8 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg 20200710_175328.jpg (53.5 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200710_170251_01.jpg (67.2 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200707-210430_Amazon Shopping.jpg (39.7 KB, 167 views)
Old 07-11-2020, 07:31 AM   #155
Harry Hill

wow, with the maximum capacity at 250 by the time you get a motor and bait tank on board with all your gear many of us would be pushing the max. I'm 195lbs, a five gallon bait tank filled is going to be close to 50lbs, then the rest of my gear and I would be overloaded. I'm going to need a bigger boat.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:45 AM   #156
NICKWORN

Quote:
wow, with the maximum capacity at 250 by the time you get a motor and bait tank on board with all your gear many of us would be pushing the max. I'm 195lbs, a five gallon bait tank filled is going to be close to 50lbs, then the rest of my gear and I would be overloaded. I'm going to need a bigger boat.
Might wanna zoom in on that sticker one more time brotha!
Old 07-11-2020, 09:52 AM   #157
Harry Hill

Quote:
Might wanna zoom in on that sticker one more time brotha!
ahhh, the fine print. Even at 400lbs there are some big boys out there who are going to be pushing the limits. That does make a lot more sense though. Old eyes and not zooming let me miss that part.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:03 PM   #158
NICKWORN

Quote:
ahhh, the fine print. Even at 400lbs there are some big boys out there who are going to be pushing the limits. That does make a lot more sense though. Old eyes and not zooming let me miss that part.
There a few youtube videos if 300lbers rocking this skiff. But ur right, big boys beware.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:00 PM   #159
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
There a few youtube videos if 300lbers rocking this skiff. But ur right, big boys beware.
It will get interesting when you get into nice tuna on the 9.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:03 AM   #160
NICKWORN

Need a few more folks

Just waiting on a few more folks to get their skiffs dialed in and become comfortable with the ride. It takes some getting used to riding with and against open water swells and wakes.