Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2020, 08:47 PM   #1
Roc
Junior

PA 12 roof loading tips

Can you tie down through the peddle drive? I have the 360, so worried that theres gremlins I might smush The front of my kayak Keeps going all over the place and trying to take flight. I tie down using the dreaded Rachet ties bc the buckle style doesn't work either, and keeps getting loose. I tie the back down through each supper hole separately, using 2 tie downs just for the back. I have two long buckle type straps that I wanna use, but don't trust. Any help would be appreciated. I load on a tall MDX, Ive read that your supposed to load upside down, but with the rudder and 360 controls, that's outa the question. Tips?
Roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #2
gveng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc View Post
Can you tie down through the peddle drive? I have the 360, so worried that theres gremlins I might smush The front of my kayak Keeps going all over the place and trying to take flight. I tie down using the dreaded Rachet ties bc the buckle style doesn't work either, and keeps getting loose. I tie the back down through each supper hole separately, using 2 tie downs just for the back. I have two long buckle type straps that I wanna use, but don't trust. Any help would be appreciated. I load on a tall MDX, Ive read that your supposed to load upside down, but with the rudder and 360 controls, that's outa the question. Tips?
Really depends on your budget.

On the cheap side, just buy foam pads that go on top of your roof rack. This gives you some support and prevents the kayak from moving side to side when strapping it down.

You can also buy something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Malone-Racks-...01658236&psc=1

So you can have a bow strap for added security.
gveng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:21 AM   #3
RookieYakker

I use ratchet straps and slide a pool noodle between my PA12 and rack to help with the grip and lessen the stress from tightening. The new addition I love is to hang a bath mat off the side of the roof between the racks. The rubber bottom holds the mat in place and the top lets the yak easily slide without scratching the roof.

Happy Hunting!
RookieYakker is offline   Reply With Quote