Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
Limits
Kayak Fanatic

How often do you have a 'yard sale'?

Just curious...for you frequent LJ yakkers, how frequently do you have 'yard sales (i.e. flip the yak on reentry)?

Is this a rare occurence or really dependent on season, Winter vs Summer?
Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limits View Post
Just curious...for you frequent LJ yakkers, how frequently do you have 'yard sales (i.e. flip the yak on reentry)?

I don't think anyone plans them it all depends on your experience level and how you negotiate the waves as you are coming in. Knock on wood I have not flipped launching or landing yet.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
wms,Jr
Junior

I flipped a year ago with my son sleeping in the front, messed up situation, my fault, i got so into trying to get a lure from being stuck on the bottom I started rocking the boat without realizing it and when the line snapped, wow it went over the other way really fast. I did learn some tricks about tying your gear down the hard way, i caught my son first and then my best pole, lost everything else. I'm not a real good kayaker or fisherman, adds to the experience though
wms,Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #4
mtnbykr2

Frank,
always always lean into it dig the paddle in to, you can put your feet
out if you feel like it is sketchy, that will stabalize you a bit more, and always exit the yak sea side, never beach side...sorry about the yard sale,
no one ever expects to have one but like everyone has said, be prepared to have one and it won't be so costly...
the hat, damn that was your lucky hat...a staple, but look at it this way, now you can start over, I think a pink feather in the new hat would be cool....lol
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #5
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
Frank,
always always lean into it dig the paddle in to, you can put your feet
out if you feel like it is sketchy, that will stabalize you a bit more, and always exit the yak sea side, never beach side...sorry about the yard sale,
no one ever expects to have one but like everyone has said, be prepared to have one and it won't be so costly...
the hat, damn that was your lucky hat...a staple, but look at it this way, now you can start over, I think a pink feather in the new hat would be cool....lol

The only hat i have left is this one!!

So if you see me wearing it you know its me.

wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
mtnbykr2

[QUOTE=wiredantz;80454]The only hat i have left is this one!!

So if you see me wearing it you know its me.

that is awesome I believe all of us "north shore navy" should have those
hats, i love it
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
Frank,
always always lean into it
I'm no expert at surf landings. I will agree with mtnbykr2, because there was one time I was being pushed to the sand by a wave, kayak parallel to the beach. I leaned into it so much that my ear and shoulder were getting wet - but, I didn't flip - I was surprised. Wished there was a video of that landing.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
ODOGFISH

are ya planing one

Don't want to hear about it
Every single one's got a story to tell
Everyone knows about it

Oscar
ODOGFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #9
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

I just Flipped my yak yesturday!!

Here is my story, went out to Topanga Beach in Malibu.

So i started my day by myself at around 1pm there some wind and the launch was a breeze, i go all around left, right, south. Well i went out got plenty of bait, small calico no keepers. AND NO haliBUTTS!!!

Time 6pm
On the way back to land my radio says there having 3-5 ft surf and i said to myself ok i hope i make. I go back to see how the area i launch from is doing. AND there i saw some huge surf. So i strap and tie everything that loose. and i wait for the shore pounds to calm down. FINally a break int the surf. I start paddling really hard and fast. I am going to make it i think to myself 30 ft to go 25 ft to go 24,23,22, 18 ft to go. When i turn behind and look behind my shoulder and I see the biggest the meanest 7 FT wave that i have ever seen so close (maybe like 5-6ftwave) AND I SAid to myself O CRAP its going to break on me!!!! I grab my paddle hard and start paddling to one side to keep the yak from turning in the water. I gather my samsonite strength and start paddling even faster. My MALIBU X-FACTOR kayak raises from the stern and the bow faces to a 45 degree angle into the water that the last thing i remember before i ended upside down and tosses me over board with my dignity. NEXT thing i know my kayak is upside down in about 4 ft of water. My rods are all over hanging by there leashes as well as my crate. I flip it back over. I toss my rods back on and pull it to shore. I only lost my hat and a gameclip. Forgot to tie the gameclip down. I am pretty good about leashing everything down. Man that was my first wipe out since i started fishing.

If anyone sees my Brown Cowboy hat and a game clip, let me know and for some reason i have alot of tar on my yak.

Man that surf was brutal!!! i am exhausted.

O SNAPs I just remembered i had my Fish ID cards that i made at kinkos in the CRate!!! Damn it...

Last edited by wiredantz; 04-03-2011 at 07:54 AM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #10
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

If you are prepared to flip than you probably won't lose anything. Most peoples yard sale is because they were not prepared for what happened. If you have every thing secure and you flip the worst thing that happens is you get wet and people on the beach got to witness it. Hopefully without a camera on you.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
old_rookie

I think I have flipped of rolled more than half the times of landing back at the beach. That is why I got the OK Trident - I can store my rods, and gaff, in the rod pod and not worry about them.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #12
StinkyMatt

Frank, that silly hat needed to go!
Paddle faster you slow poke!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #13
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limits View Post
I've rolled once at La Jolla: all I lost was my sunscreen a few Irons I had thrown in the baittank. At Esco I have had a couple of incidents where I had just hit the sand, jumped out and then had the yak tossed around by a second beach break wave that came out of nowhere. I haven't lost much but I stow my gear every time. You never know when your going to get dumped.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 04-04-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #14
rogersmith

I rolled a week ago, idiotically because I was already off the kayak, but I let the boat turn sideways, pulled from my tired grasp. Very lucky not to have broken rods, will ALWAYS use the rod pod from now on. Had to do some repairs on flush mounted rod holder, popped the welnuts out but rod didn't break! Kudos to graftech
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #15
JPSURF

Tommy as long as you have been on the Yak i doubt you dump much!

JP
JPSURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #16
Riskey Water

I've never been DOUSHED paddling in, but had one day in Mex that went Gilligans Island on me .The ocean was like a pond going out but 10 hours later coming back in it was close-out sets with 15 ft faces and the only safe landing was 7 miles away at La Salina .So I made sure EVERYTHING was stowed and the paddle leash secured .I paddled into the surf break waves ,caught a wave and half way down the face I bailed out and let my kayak get washed on shore and I swam in .No gear lost or broken ,but my ego was taken down a notch .
Riskey Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #17
T Bone

The following is a link to "THE ULTIMATE YARDSALE"

This forever changed my views toward landing in the surf

One tip I will give you is leave the water in your bait tank The ballast will help you out.I had drained my tank and had a monster fish in my lap in Med-Heavy surf.I have since landed in bigger surf with water in the tank and it helps.I lost some very high end gear.That Shimano Calcutta rod is now a cult classic,they were made in washington and go for big bucks when they come up for sale.Not to mention losing 2 2spd avets a brand new diawa sealine and a graphite usa rod and my glasses.I figure about a $2K loss.lesson learned.I rod podded my big game and can get 8'ers in there and leash the 90J.Big Thanks to the BWE community for offering all the loaner gear.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...imate+yardsale

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10

Last edited by T Bone; 04-04-2011 at 11:50 AM.
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:00 AM   #18
old_rookie

I wonder if it is worth snorkeling the area in search for lost gear? Of course you'll need to be able to dive deep enough to retrieve some of it.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #19
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
The following is a link to "THE ULTIMATE YARDSALE"

This forever changed my views toward landing in the surf

One tip I will give you is leave the water in your bait tank The ballast will help you out.I had drained my tank and had a monster fish in my lap in Med-Heavy surf.I have since landed in bigger surf with water in the tank and it helps.I lost some very high end gear.That Shimano Calcutta rod is now a cult classic,they were made in washington and go for big bucks when they come up for sale.Not to mention losing 2 2spd avets a brand new diawa sealine and a graphite usa rod and my glasses.I figure about a $2K loss.lesson learned.I rod podded my big game and can get 8'ers in there and leash the 90J.Big Thanks to the BWE community for offering all the loaner gear.

just read your previous post. great fish!!
how is Dylan? hope that everything turned out okay.....
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #20
dmrides

Man, if I get skunked one more time, I am going to have a big ol' yard sale. Oh wait, you are talking about a different kind of yard sale. Do what Joe says, go surf it for a while. It is a heck of a lot of fun and an incredible learning experience. While you are waiting for waves, see how far you can lean before you roll, how to correct a roll, see if you can stand up, kneel down, reach the bow and stern, etc. It will pay off huge and increase your comfort level a ton.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote