Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
PAL

Waders of death?

Yeah, the thread title is click bait.

I held the camera when Jim Sammons hopped into that cold pool a few years ago. He didn't sink or take on a ton of water, but we all knew the environmental factors were set on "easy."

Ric Burnley recently did Jim one better. During field testing for a Kayak Angler Magazine story, Ric cannonballed repeatedly into 36 degree Chesapeake Bay. Videographer Kayak Kevin was there to catch Ric's polar plunges on camera.

There's snow on the shoreline, but the wind machine was turned off and the water is nice and calm. Even so, I'm convinced waders alone could have killed him in a real fishing scenario in that frigid water.

Check it out and see what you think. I know you'll make your own judgements.

http://www.kayakanglermag.com/featur...ear-test-.html

Last edited by PAL; 01-27-2011 at 01:35 PM.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
Sherm

Glad we live in so cal. That looked cold.

Waders have always concerned me for that reason but they are way more comfortable than those other options.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

In those waters I would invest in the dry suit. Here the paddle top is sufficient with waders or something like Kokatat Tempest or NRS Endurance pants. The key is to cinch up the bottom of the Dry top ........and the collar for those o' dark "black wall" launches
Old 01-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
Jimmyz123

I'm still not seeing death by waders here. Sure in the cold waters like he was in I would wear more than that but really here in San Diego or So. Cal do we really need waders? All I want are some drypants and jacket, which my wife just ordered for me, and I think that's all I need. I know the water can get cold here, but not in the 30s.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
PAL

Where do you guys draw the line on water temperature?

When I said Ric could have found himself in a deadly situation if he'd been fishing offshore, I meant in those water temps (in the 30s). That doesn't mean our milder winter water temperatures aren't a hazard. You just have more time. Maybe I'll look it up.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post

When I said Ric could have found himself in a deadly situation if he'd been fishing offshore, I meant in those water temps (in the 30s). That doesn't mean our milder winter water temperatures aren't a hazard. You just have more time. Maybe I'll look it up.
You are correct PAL, I did not read what you were saying correctly. I was expecting to see his waders fill with water but, like with Jim's, they sucked to his legs and did not sink him. Yes, off shore in those cold temps, one could die from the cold water trying to paddle back to shore, depending how far off they are.

I love watching those videos though.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
old_rookie

Near the end there was comment about the waders filling up and pulling him down. Why would that happen?? It wouldn't. There is a misconception about that. I'd you put a bucket in a pool then fill it with water it won't drop to the bottom like a rock.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #8
MVC

I was with Ryan in Catalina when he went in the water for about 45 minutes and came out almost dry in waders and a paddle top. The conditions were about as bad as they can get. I agree with Andy.
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

My new zipper waders are very wide at the top. Like the top of a funnel, not form fitting at all. Without a belt, these guys could become the death trap you mentioned. Of course if you have a splash jacket or something similar on over the waders, that problem would be minimized.

Note to self... always wear a belt and try not to flip.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
Amish Ed

Will the bucket sink? No. But, what happens when you try to pick that bucket up out the water? Huge amount of weight. So, if your waders fill up you need to strip down, then re-enter your yak. 56º water can get you hypothermia quicker than you think. That being said, waders with a dry top would be fine. I rarely wear my waders, but when i do it's mid-winter and night time. I layer for the cold, but should invest in a dry top.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:03 AM   #11
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Will the bucket sink? No. But, what happens when you try to pick that bucket up out the water? Huge amount of weight. So, if your waders fill up you need to strip down, then re-enter your yak. 56º water can get you hypothermia quicker than you think. That being said, waders with a dry top would be fine. I rarely wear my waders, but when i do it's mid-winter and night time. I layer for the cold, but should invest in a dry top.
Agreed - it would be difficult to get back on the yak - my point is the comments in the video implied you will be pulled down if the waders filled with water (but that was yesterday and I've been forgetting what people are saying lately).
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

I kayak fish in waters that are pretty cold, sometimes the air is pretty cold as well, so I've got the kayak fishing wardrobe pretty well figured out. How cold? Went out a few days ago, water and air were both in the lower to mid forties.
If it's really cold, I wear waders with polarfleece long johns and wool or waterproof socks. Of course you should always wear a wader belt, looks like a lot of wader manufacturers are starting to provide one with the waders. I have gone into forty degree, fast moving river water with waders with a belt; pretty cold but not much water got in the waders.
Dry suits are OK for extreme cold, otherwise, without being in the water(like a surfer or diver), they are too hot. Wetsuits, without a layer of water between your skin and the rubber, can be very cold. Most of the time I wear waterproof pants with polarfleece underneath, waterproof socks and neoprene wading booties with a felt sole.
On top, usually a fleece pullover and GoreTex shell(rains a little bit up here).
Old 01-29-2011, 06:47 AM   #13
Kahouna

I've duck hunted in some pretty extreme cold (-degrees). I've also fallen through ice in waders. The one thing that is constant throughout all the waders I've worn is a belt of some sort. Yeah, you will get water in them but they won't turn into a drift chute if you have a belt on. Dress the part and you should be good to go.
Kahouna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:07 AM   #14
Jimmyz123

I know that when Kayak fishing you should be Prepared to get wet, however that doesn't mean that you have to stay wet all day. I bought some waders and also will invest in some dry pants. I've tried using those Frog Toggs but after about 30 minutes if you are sitting in water, they will soak through. They are good for rain protection but long term use in water is not recommended for them. Reading all of you post really helps, that's what is great about this site.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:12 AM   #15
bigbarrels

waders filling with water is one thing but try to swim with waders on even without a drop of water in them........forget about it......those booties definitely impede on your performance......but they sure are comfortable to fish in
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #16
Jimmyz123

I can imagine they are not that easy to swim in, but having the PFD should make it so I won't have to swim too much if I do have to some day. I'm looking forward to the warmth and dryness.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #17
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post

Heat is lost more quickly in water than on land. Water temperatures that would be quite reasonable as outdoor air temperatures can lead to hypothermia. A water temperature of 10 °C (50 °F) often leads to death in one hour, and water temperatures hovering at freezing can lead to death in as little as 15 minutes. Water at a temperature of 26 °C (79 °F) will, after prolonged exposure, lead to hypothermia.

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #18
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Just fish in the summer.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:34 AM   #19
MVC

I always have my radio clipped to my PFD. I have gone into the water a few times with waders but was never there long enough for them to fill with water.
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:04 AM   #20
PAL

Quote:
Heat is lost more quickly in water than on land. Water temperatures that would be quite reasonable as outdoor air temperatures can lead to hypothermia. A water temperature of 10 °C (50 °F) often leads to death in one hour, and water temperatures hovering at freezing can lead to death in as little as 15 minutes. Water at a temperature of 26 °C (79 °F) will, after prolonged exposure, lead to hypothermia.
Thanks for doing the homework. Somewhere or other there's a temperature / survival time chart put together by the USCG. IIRC, it looks a lot like the data you cite.