Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-27-2017, 10:05 AM   #1
Saba Slayer

Big Changes to the Lobster Regs for next season

LOL...We Rec guys did pretty good with only these few changes...the commercial guys on the other hand will have some major changes coming their way this season...

Good thing somebody was looking out for our interests.....

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conserva...r/Fishing-Regs

New Regulation Changes for Recreational Lobster Fishing
California Spiny Lobster Fishery Management Plan that was adopted by the FGC at its April 2016 meeting. The public comment period closed on June 22, 2016 with the adoption of the proposed regulations. A summary of the new recreational lobster fishing regulations can be found below, which include changes for sections 29.80 and 29.90 Title 14, California Code of Regulations. All other recreational lobster fishing regulations, unless listed below, remain unchanged and remain in effect:

Effective for the 2017-2018 Lobster Fishing Season
Hoop net buoys south of Point Arguello (Santa Barbara County) must now be marked for identification and enforcement purposes. Hoop nets used south of Point Arguello shall be marked with a surface buoy. The surface buoy shall be legibly marked to identify the operator's GO ID number as stated on the operator's sport fishing license or lobster report card. Hoop nets deployed from persons on shore or manmade structures connected to the shore are not required to be marked with a surface buoy (§ 29.80 (b)(3)).
Existing language on the possession of a hooked device while taking lobster has been changed to provide clarification for both recreational divers and enforcement. Diving for crustaceans: In all ocean waters, except as provided in Section 29.05, skin and SCUBA divers may take crustaceans by the use of the hands only. Divers may not possess any hooked device while diving or attempting to dive. Divers may be in possession of spearfishing equipment so long as possession of such equipment is otherwise lawful and is not being used to aid in the take of crustaceans (§ 29.80 (g)).
The start of the recreational lobster fishing season will be delayed six hours from the current start time of 12:01 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. for safety purposes. Open season: From 6:00 a.m. on the Saturday preceding the first Wednesday in October through the first Wednesday after the 15th of March (§ 29.90 (a)).
Measuring requirements have been clarified in order to allow for measuring lobster aboard a boat. The change will allow hoop netters to bring spiny lobster aboard a vessel where they can be measured safely. All lobsters shall be measured immediately and any undersize lobster shall be released immediately into the water. Divers shall measure lobsters while in the water and shall not remove undersized lobsters from the water. Hoop netters may measure lobsters out of the water, but no undersize lobster may be placed in any type of receiver, kept on the person or retained in any person's possession or under his or her direct control (§ 29.90 (c)).

Be careful and don't let this happen to you...!!!!!!

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
TroutBum

Thank you!
TroutBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
NICKWORN

Jimbo!

You ready man, I feel a good year coming!!
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #4
blitzburgh

Thank you for all your hard work Jim!
Old 06-27-2017, 04:39 PM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Is the only difference they have to mark hoop nets? What am I missing?
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:42 PM   #6
GTboosted

Whats the difference?
Old 06-28-2017, 06:50 AM   #7
Mahigeer

When it was 12:00 midnight opener, a lot of boats would go to their favorite spot and sit and drink until mid-night.

Perhaps too many drunks operating the boats in the dark.

Then it would be only about 6 hours of hooping until dawn. Lobsters are usually caught during dark hours.

Now since it is 6:00 AM, they can drive to their place in light and actually have about 12 hours of hooping.

Is my guess.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:18 AM   #8
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Is the only difference they have to mark hoop nets? What am I missing?
Well for us freedivers, you weren't allowed to carry your speargun while diving for lobster in past years. So you kinda had to pick one or the other.

This year you can finally carry the speargun.

Also season opening time has changed from midnight to 6 am.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:36 AM   #9
kayakfisherman

Thanks Jim for all your endless, tireless, hard work!!!
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:44 PM   #10
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
Well for us freedivers, you weren't allowed to carry your speargun while diving for lobster in past years. So you kinda had to pick one or the other.

This year you can finally carry the speargun.

Also season opening time has changed from midnight to 6 am.

Thats for the rec guys. How about commercial?
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:36 PM   #11
jorluivil

I took the liberty of editing your comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
When it was 12:00 midnight opener, a lot of boats would go to their favorite spot and sit and drink until mid-night.

Perhaps too many drunks operating the boats in the dark.

Then it would be only about 6 hours of hooping until dawn. Lobsters are usually caught during dark hours.

Now since it is 6:00 AM, they can drive to their place in light, drink all night while hooping and motor back intoxicated.

Is my guess.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:09 PM   #12
Aaron&Julie

Sat 6:00AM Sept 30th
  • starts the opener,
is the way I read it.
That means if you go Friday night (Sept 29th) at all, anytime before 6:00 Sat, you'll be subject to a fine.
Not that people would be hooping in Saturday's daylight hours, but I wouldn't want people to get burned thinking it gives them 12 hours Friday night to hoop. Thanks for the info.