Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2022, 11:59 PM   #1
dbarnett66
Danodog

Garmin Striker 4cv on 2013 Malibu X-Factor

My old fish finder died from 2013. I had OEX install it for me when I bought my yak from them. Will the Garmin transducer fit the same recessed spot as my old transducer? It would be nice to mount it in the recessed spot for a cleaner install. If not, should I find a new spot an drill the bottom of the kayak to make it work? I really don’t like the idea of the through hull method or using an arm off the side of the kayak. Thanks in advance.

Dano
dbarnett66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 12:32 PM   #2
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnett66 View Post
My old fish finder died from 2013. I had OEX install it for me when I bought my yak from them. Will the Garmin transducer fit the same recessed spot as my old transducer? It would be nice to mount it in the recessed spot for a cleaner install. If not, should I find a new spot an drill the bottom of the kayak to make it work? I really don’t like the idea of the through hull method or using an arm off the side of the kayak. Thanks in advance.

Dano
Hey Dano, That's a tough question as I can't seem to find any dimensions of the GT20-TM transducer for the Striker 4CV. It has an impressive range of up to 1900ft.

I doubt it will fit with the original transom mount brackets that come with it, but as shown in the photo above, a paper template can be created to fab a small piece of polypropylene cutting board. The piece could be used to connect the transducer to the kayak hopefully without having the transducer stick out of the protection of the transducer inset. One sure way to find out would be to have West Marine Price match the lowest price. If it does not fit, that will be an easier return than having to pay to mail it somewhere. If you fish frequently, the West Marine Warranty is well worth it IMHO.

Drilling new holes in the hull of the kayak does not sound like a good idea, and the transducer on an arm makes unnecessary drag. If it does not fit the transducer inset, I would consider mounting it inside so that it transmits through the hull. Good luck.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 01:02 PM   #3
dbarnett66
Danodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Hey Dano, That's a tough question as I can't seem to find any dimensions of the GT20-TM transducer for the Striker 4CV. It has an impressive range of up to 1900ft.

I doubt it will fit with the original transom mount brackets that come with it, but as shown in the photo above, a paper template can be created to fab a small piece of polypropylene cutting board. The piece could be used to connect the transducer to the kayak hopefully without having the transducer stick out of the protection of the transducer inset. One sure way to find out would be to have West Marine Price match the lowest price. If it does not fit, that will be an easier return than having to pay to mail it somewhere. If you fish frequently, the West Marine Warranty is well worth it IMHO.

Drilling new holes in the hull of the kayak does not sound like a good idea, and the transducer on an arm makes unnecessary drag. If it does not fit the transducer inset, I would consider mounting it inside so that it transmits through the hull. Good luck.
Thank you for the detailed reply. I ordered the unit and I will check out how to modify it to work in the recess led area if possible. I will post an update.
dbarnett66 is offline   Reply With Quote