Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
yotasan

Malibu xfactor

Anyone on here recommend this boat?

Last edited by yotasan; 04-10-2013 at 08:46 PM.
yotasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
spottie slayer

ya its good but the hatches leak from time to time, and its kind of a beast to paddle, but other than that its probably one of the most stable boats on the market with one of the highest weight capacities. plus theres a factory sale at oex on saturday april 13 with FAT! i meen FAT! discounts. like over 50% off.

Last edited by spottie slayer; 04-10-2013 at 08:55 PM.
spottie slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
dbarnett66
Danodog

I have had my X-Factor out three separate times. Once in Mission Bay and two local lakes here in San Diego. I am a big dude 325ish and still losing weight. My ride has been dry, but that is expected since I am not hitting the breakers yet. I am extremely pleased with my purchase, although I honestly can't compare it to anything since I have only paddled this yak.

Very stable for a big awkward guy such as myself. It is heavy. I don't believe the kayak to be 62 pounds. I think it is 85+ pounds, but I need to weigh it. It can be a bear to load and unload by yourself. I have a truck, so it isn't too bad. CJ and the guys at OEX Mission Beach installed my fish finder, wiring, and bait tank setup. Works awesome. I had the bait tank and fish finder running off the battery for 11 hours on two days before I recharged the battery again.

The Stealth 14 uses the same hull and has a better casting platform, but the X-Factor has more storage than I know what to do with. While the X-Factor is not nimble, it isn't a barge either. I can maintain speed with relatively easy effort.

dbarnett66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
danjor

Great boat (and yes it paddles like a boat/aircraft carrier but than again I made the switch from a trident 15 so this is a completely different yak style for me) my only complaint is when moving water tends to splash up threw the scuppers causing you to get wet... really annoying considering there there to drain the yak and keep you dry not flood the deck... but other than that I love mine so much I have 2 hahaha

Last edited by danjor; 04-11-2013 at 05:43 AM.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:01 AM   #5
Jimmyz123

I Had an Xfactor and loved the Kayak, it paddled well, wasn't too tough to paddle, it was stable, dry, and a very good boat all around. I read someone called it a beast to paddle, but I do not agree with that.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
DanaPT

x factor

It was my first set-up. I still have it and really like it. very big and stable. Could carry me + my boy. A lot of room. Heck, I think you could stow camping gear on that thing. Super stable, I could stand and fish. It is like a big plane, it takes some effort to get it started but once it's going it goes.

That malibu sale looks like a great deal for a "Blem". Mine is a blem and you'd never know, so I wouldn't worry about that.

give me a PM if you are interested in picking one-up that is all set up (scotty rod holders, gator hatch, x-wing, bait tank, lowrance ff, seat, paddle, and bait tank). Mine was configured to run w/ a trolling motor and has foot cables to navigate. I'v stopped using the trolling motor when the battery went bad.

Mine is just hanging in the garage. It is sad (I can tell) because it's not getting used.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #7
spottie slayer

For me it was this boat or a Jackson cuda. I picked the Jackson because it suited me better. Test different boats and see which one you like the most.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
ctrujillo

Good solid stable yak.not the fastest paddle yak I've been told but its a yak you aren't going anywhere fast on a fishing yak any how.i learned to sit back and enjoy the ride.
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
easyday

Fant be as bad as paddling a cobra tandem by yourself
easyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #10
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

It wont kill you to reach a spot 2 minutes faster. I would rather have all the extra stability and storage then get .5 mph faster.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
Mahigeer

I just got in to kayaking with a used Malibu X Factor 14 footer. I went for the price, but I like the stability over speed.

I have also been doing a lot of research on this site and others. So maybe this item will help the situation below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
my only complaint is when moving water tends to splash up threw the scuppers causing you to get wet... really annoying considering there there to drain the yak and keep you dry not flood the deck... but other than that I love mine so much I have 2 hahaha

http://www.rei.com/product/833761/ocean-kayak-scupper-valves-medium-package-of-2

I plan to give it a try, if it fits.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #12
spottie slayer

if you can get your hands on a jackson cuda by all means go for it. I swear by this yak.