Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
phreshwon
PHRESHWON

Pack some ground tackle when you go out there. I used to do a week long vacation there with the yak and got caught up in some nasty wind and current. I once had a lightning bolt strike the island on the east end 75 yards from me. There is not a lot of beach to land on in most areas. Get in 50ft of water which is like 20ft off the beach and drop anchor and rest.

I have caught alot of YT and seen some of the biggest schools of YT around the Frog Rock area. They can be VERY finicky. I once had a school of feeding YT all around me that i was throwing live squid at. They would not touch it. They were feeding on schools of smelt. The next day i sabikied up some smelt off the Mole and it was game on.

If anyone is looking at going there for a week or so and want to take their own yak call Catalina Flying Boats in Long Beach. It's been a couple of years since i bought a boat but it's like 35 or 40 cents a pound to ship your kayak one way. I would pick it up in town on Monday and send it back on Saturday before they closed. Just ship the yak and not your tackle to minimize cost.
phreshwon is offline   Reply With Quote