Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
zrbite

Launch location

I just bought a Stealth 12 from OEX Mission Bay last week and plan on trying it out. One of the places I wanted to try out is the jetty by Zuniga Point in SD Bay. Has anyone done this before?

I searched for areas to park and found references about the north island naval air station back gate, but I'm not quite sure where that is on the map still. Anyone care to post a google maps picture of that place? I assume once people park there, they bring their kayak directly to the water and paddle out to the jetty?

Also, if anyone is interested in fishing with me, I am free pretty much most days from tomorrow until past the new year. I do warn you that I'm still pretty new to fishing though.
zrbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Jimmyz123

Where you are talking about it the farthest end of Coronado beach and believe me that is a pretty good hike through the sand with a Kayak. I have not done it but I have carried my son, beach toys, and firewood through that area and it's not a walk in the park. Once you get down to the beach you then have to launch through the surf. If you catch that place on a good day the surf may not be an issue, but I have been down there when the waves are not small and they are wall like in form. Not fun. My advice to you would be to do like most do and launch from Shelter Island with the Outgoing tide to make the paddle out easier and then plan your return with the incoming tide. There is some nice fishing out there at times. Every spring a group of us gets together and heads out there. It was pretty fun the last one I went on.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
ctfphoto

Just launch at Shelter Island Boat Ramp, Not to far to the jetty from there.

BIG HINT: Plan your trip around the tides. Go out with the tide, then come in with the incoming tide.

I was SD Bay Today, way beautiful day out there. Targeting Halibut got me a Calico, Spottie, and rattlesnake. Good bycatch.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Mobie Hobie
Junior

Re: Launch

I launched at Shelter Island boat ramp this morning from the beach which is 75 yards north of the concrete ramp. Directly across the bay at North Coronado Naval Air Station is four pilings marked A through D. (shallow water-rocks) I got a few bass and a short halibut on 3" gulp bait on the incoming tide. There were some others that caught some bass and short halibut as well. For ten bucks you can go up to the bait barge and get live bait if you want.
Mobie Hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
ctfphoto

Mobie, was that you with the sail? Nice meeting you today, and you have a very AWESOME BOAT.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
zrbite

Going out with the tide and coming with with the tide means fishing as it goes from high to low and returning when its going from low to high.

I thought best tide times for fish was hours before high and after high?
Old 12-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
ctfphoto

I was just saying that it is an easier paddle using the tide to help move you. The currents can be strong in the bay and if you go against a strong current, it adds a lot of extra work.

As to fishing around the tides .............. well ........... I don't know, I just fish and most of the time I catch fish.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
flytuber4
Bay Destroyer

Also, if anyone is interested in fishing with me, I am free pretty much most days from tomorrow until past the new year. I do warn you that I'm still pretty new to fishing though.[/QUOTE]

I will take you up on that offer right after xmas cuz by then ill have my new ride 115 from OEX MB
flytuber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
Ggiannig89

I agree go with the tides! I'm new and on my first time out I paid no attention to the tides. Let me tell yo u, I had a hell of a time trying to get back with the tide going out and hundreds of sailboats swarming around me.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
JarrodMc

Just before the last couple weeks of rain came I was fishing with my mom and some friends by the bait barge and we were having a good time until a thick wall of fog came rolling in at a fast pace packed with hurricane force winds it felt like. Paddling back to shelter island was a pain in the ass but hey we made it.
JarrodMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #11
zrbite

Where is the barge in SD Bay at? On the west side where its illegal to fish according to the Navy?
Old 12-20-2012, 12:07 AM   #12
IslanderFishing

Also, if anyone is interested in fishing with me, I am free pretty much most days from tomorrow until past the new year. I do warn you that I'm still pretty new to fishing though.[/QUOTE]

I'm planning to fish out there on Sunday, Dec. 23rd. Still rookie status to kayak fishing. Let me know if interested. I'll be out on a new Hobie Oasis.
IslanderFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:03 AM   #13
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrbite View Post
Where is the barge in SD Bay at? On the west side where its illegal to fish according to the Navy?
The Bait Barge is where it has always been for as long as I know it. The Navy shut down fishing in that are about 10 years ago, but that's O.K. There's plenty of bay to fish in.

When I do the Jetty paddle I stop at the barge and pick up bait. Launch early enough so that maybe you're on the out going tide. You should arrive at the Jetty with plenty of water movement going on, and good fishing to be had. I have paddled back to Shelter Island against the wind and the tides and it makes for a long paddle. However I found it easier to paddle along the North Island shoreline then when you get to where Shelter Island is, paddle across to the beach. Also as your heading back do some long life fishing along the way, it makes the trip more enjoyable.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote