Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2020, 10:38 AM   #1
ivanwang811
Junior

Kelp died out?

A little late to this report but headed out to salt creek out of Dana on Sunday. I was hoping the water would clear up but it was still murky. I tried finding some kelp beds to fish but I couldn’t find any? I was hoping someone else could back me up on this. I fished shallow and deep but couldn’t see/mark and stringers. Wondering if the red tide killed the kelp.A lot of boats out but didn’t see many pulling up fish. Ended up fishing a shallow reef and picking up one keeper sheephead and 15 or so short calicos. All caught on strips of squid. No pictures this time sorry
ivanwang811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:02 PM   #2
ProfessorLongArms

Did you happen to note the tide or the current at the time? Everywhere I’ve beenIn the Los Angeles area over the past six months has been crazy thick with kelp

Could have just been submerged and laying down
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:48 PM   #3
DanaYakAngler

From what i've seen the past few years the kelp at dana has really died off. It used to be super thick off the point. I've heard reports of some kelp off strands/salt creek recently but I haven't fished that area yet this summer.
DanaYakAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:10 PM   #4
ivanwang811
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
Did you happen to note the tide or the current at the time? Everywhere I’ve beenIn the Los Angeles area over the past six months has been crazy thick with kelp

Could have just been submerged and laying down
Surprisingly enough it was low tide at the time. I peddled from 30-70 feet and covered a decent area. Low tide should’ve revealed any kelp that would normally be underwater too
ivanwang811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:01 PM   #5
FISH11

Angry

I've been saying this about La Jolla for the last several years. I believe that's the biggest reason the fishing hasn't been what it used to be 3 years ago and before. Little to no kelp, mean no habitat for bait fish, etc.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:15 PM   #6
FullFlavorPike

Kelp in LJ has gotten better; but still hasn't recovered from the devastation of el nino and super warm water.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:02 PM   #7
Tomol

There’s no kelp south of Dana until you get to San Mateo Rocks south of the Pier, and that’s thin.

There’s a little kelp off Strands and Salt Creek. Pretty slim pickings’ on gamefish. Plenty of calico, sand bass & small sheepshead off Creek.
Tomol is offline   Reply With Quote