Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
sanjuancapokayak

1st five reports/dana pt

Hey y'all. Well, I've got a new hobie again. Haven't been seriously since age 19. Now it's 20 yrs. later! But, we moved 2 yrs. ago to San Juan Capistrano...landed a house/townshouse with help from Habitat for Humanity.

Bought a home made kayak from a cool old dude made of plywood and epoxy. Wait, alot of you are from S.D. maybe you know him? When I met him he introduced himself like this... "Hi, My name is Don....IM A FISHERMEN." The Kayak I purchased from him was posted about a month ago on craigslist as The Ultimate Fishing Kayak. Got it for $300. Came with a small humingbird fisher, homemade baittank, homemade gaff and livebait net, and a battery. The Kayak is painted blue and has two Charger bolts (one for each side of the Kayak). I'm a big baseball fan (Angels)... but, I figure I'll keep the bolts on the side- that way I'll have to root for the S.D. Chargers and pay attention to football again. Don was so cool, he even threw in his tool box for the kayak. Don has a hearin' aide...Any of you seen him on the water? He made a boat I almost bought from him for 600.

Maiden Voyage: Was feeling iffy... hoping this kayak would float me. Neighbor was cool enough to help me launch. As we put it in the water...smoke was coming off the wires and I fried the wires (musta touched eachother somehow). Welp, there goes the livebait for today Met another kayaker named Glenn. Very cool dude. We both saw a Blue Whale. Scared the crap outta me, not gonna lie. I've been on my boys Whale watching trip and don't remember the sound of them coming up being so damb loud! Was fifty yards away. Any closer, I probably woulda craped my pants. Got skunked.

2nd Trip (I go once a week either on Monday or Tuesday as I'm a night custodian for 1/2 day in the mornings). Skunked again. Fished large sardines. Lots of bites, was thinking maybe whatever was hitting it...was maybe too small. Highlight of the day. I saw a sea turtle!!! I didn't know we had sea turtles in California??? I have seen them when I was in the service (Navy) in Pearl Harbor. That was totally cool. He wasn't big...maybe 2 ft by 2 ft on the shell. He was in all the Kelp. Did a couple of tours around my kayak and disappeared.

3rd Trip: Was more prepared and motivated not to get skunked. That'da be strike three, right? Went to Hogan's Bait and Tackle. Talked to the counterman and asked what would be good for catching calico's off the kelp. He recommended four plastics one being a grub that was white and he said looked like squid. I did catch a calico off that lure I remember. That day a caught three calicos. A 15" , A 14", and a short...along with two macks. Was just glad I didn't get skunked again. Fished squid this time around too

4th Trip: Launched early again 6 am. In total fog. I gotta get me more that the 99 cent variety that weakly attaches to the front of my yak and Get a headlamp that I see those dorky standup dudes with. Saw Glenn again. He was targeting sheephead fishing shellfish or something for bait. It was SO Foggy it was eirey. Could see about 25 to 50 yards max. Was thinking damb......!!!! Welp, I could follow the lobster traps back to the harbor if all else fails. Fished with Glenn for about an hour then we parted. I landed another decent sized bass and some kinda hugeass rockfish or perch. It was bigger than the bass. I though them in my baittank, so when I got home they were alive and kickin'. My girl was home shortly (early day) and said are they alive or dead? I said alive, I picked up the bass ...one hand under the belly and one hand carefully on the top. It kicked away agressively and scared us both half to death. My girl was so funny...she said, "THAT WAS TOTALLY AWESOME!!" and we both laugh as I stuck them alive in a bag and tossed them in the freezer. My wife said, "Your so mean". I smiled.

5th Time out: My calico lures were gone. They are stuck on DP kelp. I don't know what happen to the white squid looking one. I think I here it up in the front of my yak rollin' around. Will have to go headfirst and peek for it...before the next trip. This trip the wind was up when I first came out of the harbor into open water. Was a little hairy, and was tossed about. Reports said it was supposed to die down. It did a bit. Caught about 3 macks and a tiny perch. Was targeting halibut as Glenn said he had caught alot and a dude lobstering told me their were two 30's caught just inside of where I was. Don't know the best spots yet, but I game to learn.

Gotta roll almost 11pm Time to set the school alarm and call it a night. If any of you wanna roll out there with me I have been going once a week on Mon. or Tues.
Warning though. I'm slow in my homemade heavy craft.

I'll get pics up and take our old camera. Would like to go South and try different spots. Maybe put this yak in S.D. again ,,,in her home Charger waters.

Late,
S.J.C.K (san juan capo Kayaker)
Bryan (Whit is my nickname) Hope to see you all on the water.
ps. great site. Love the knowledge here.
p.s. how long should I go with the same fishing line? haven't changed it yet...??? Maybe it's time.
sanjuancapokayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Nice report man its cool ur back on the water. Keep going and youll figure it out. As for the line, i like to change mine when i see its completely done and chewed up. If you think its time to change it go ahead. It shouldnt be on there for more than a year but that depends on how often you fish.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
DanaPT

nice reports. . .

Not sure we have sea turtles in these waters. Maybe a sting ray?

a variety of fish species to be had (a some bigger models too).

Welcome back!
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
Not sure we have sea turtles in these waters. Maybe a sting ray?

a variety of fish species to be had (a some bigger models too).

Welcome back!
yes we do. and a lot of them actually.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

I want to see pichures
Old 10-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
Amish Ed

Great reports. Landwhale and I fish on mondays or tuesdays. Sometimes Dana. I like the Pipe myself, though it's been slow for a while. Next time we'll probably head for the Point or south for Capo. I'll try to post up in the General Discussion before we go.

I'd suggest going back to Hogan's and picking up some Sled Heads and some Zoom Flukes. They can show you how to rig them so that they are weedless. You won't lose nearly so many to the kelp and rocks as regular lead heads.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
Vikingj

Bryan- good job on the reports and keep them coming. It's great that you are getting back otw and enjoying your newly discovered sport. The fishing is just a plus with the awesome experiences- blue whales, turtles, fog, etc. Dana Pt has a lot to offer (shhhh!).
Enjoyed meeting you and seeing your custom yak. Those whales certainly got my attention when exhaling - sounded like old steam locomotives! It was really a weird sight to see you coming out of the fog the 2nd time we met -thought I was being approached by the Merrimac or the Monitor. I was also skunked.
PS: 15-20yrs ago(?) there were a couple of seaturtles that hung out upstream of the San Gabriel Rivermouth (LongBeach/Seal Beach). It was kept hushed but shared with other biologists. As a Zoology/Marine Bio teacher I took some photos to use in class but have misplaced them. Thanks for sharing.
Wayne (aka "Glenn"?)
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
sanjuancapokayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingj View Post
Bryan- good job on the reports and keep them coming. It's great that you are getting back otw and enjoying your newly discovered sport. The fishing is just a plus with the awesome experiences- blue whales, turtles, fog, etc. Dana Pt has a lot to offer (shhhh!).
Enjoyed meeting you and seeing your custom yak. Those whales certainly got my attention when exhaling - sounded like old steam locomotives! It was really a weird sight to see you coming out of the fog the 2nd time we met -thought I was being approached by the Merrimac or the Monitor. I was also skunked.
PS: 15-20yrs ago(?) there were a couple of seaturtles that hung out upstream of the San Gabriel Rivermouth (LongBeach/Seal Beach). It was kept hushed but shared with other biologists. As a Zoology/Marine Bio teacher I took some photos to use in class but have misplaced them. Thanks for sharing.
Wayne (aka "Glenn"?)
Sorry Wayne...screwed your name up. I couldn't believe it either when I saw that seaturtle. AmnishEd or Landwhale, I'd like to head out with you guys sometime. Let me Know when you head out on a Mon/Tues. It has to be early though as I gotta be back by home by 1pm to head off to work. Been launching at 6am of late.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
sanjuancapokayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Great reports. Landwhale and I fish on mondays or tuesdays. Sometimes Dana. I like the Pipe myself, though it's been slow for a while. Next time we'll probably head for the Point or south for Capo. I'll try to post up in the General Discussion before we go.

I'd suggest going back to Hogan's and picking up some Sled Heads and some Zoom Flukes. They can show you how to rig them so that they are weedless. You won't lose nearly so many to the kelp and rocks as regular lead heads.
Would like to fish the pipe. Thanks for the tackle suggestions. I'll definately ask for those at Hogans. What is Ghost Shimp? Heard that it works great?
Whit-
Old 10-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
Amish Ed

No problem, we usually launch between 5:30 and 6:30, back in between 11:30 and 12:30.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
DanaPT

I stand corrected. Sea turtles are now on the menu!
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #12
sanjuancapokayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad52 View Post
Nice report, "My teacher, recommend going returning to Hogan's and choosing up some snowmobile Leads and some capability flukes. They can explain to you how to rig them so that they are weedless. You won't reduce nearly so many to the algae and stones as frequent cause heads"
went in there and did what you guys recommended. The gal in there, Stephanie I think her name is...was very helpful. Landon showed me how to rig. Was back at it today in semi-fog. Learning it up. Gotta get me that halibut rig still (one with the treble hook at the end and reg. hook in the nose. First time in there I got four plastics and squid ($11) This time, Stephanie was very helpful in spending my green ($51)
Everyones been so helpful. That's what I dig about Kayaking so far. People being kind enough to help those starting out.

Caught a 14" calico today. He's gonna be dinner tomorrow. Cool how them big bass hit the plastic on the sink! Was fishing frozen Ghost Shrimp and that stuff is hard to hook! Now I know why they call it Ghost Shrimp, cause when you reel in...it's vanished.

Thanks for the Weedless rig know how...total plastics lost today was nada.

Whit-

Last edited by sanjuancapokayak; 10-30-2012 at 07:15 PM.