Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
sanjuancapokayak

D.P. 06 Feb 13

Name:  sandbass.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  48.5 KB
Launched at 6am. Fished The Pipe for the first time til 11:30am. Keeping the Trident Mojo going! First time out caught my PB Calico a 16" 2.0 pounder!!! Today I Got my PB Sandbass! Weighed in at 2 1/2 lbs and was 17". Was the only Kayak out and only saw a couple of boats.

Cool Part about today too was right after I caught the bass a whale watching trip full of kids on the bow were looking at me and ....you know - what else ya gonna do...showed them the goods!!! and the roar of the kids let you know that they loved seeing the fish.

Filleted this guy and wife is cookin' it up ! Not a ton of action. Had another short SB, but the quality fit the bill! Sun popped out about 10:00am.

All in all, I had a great day!

Last edited by sanjuancapokayak; 02-06-2013 at 03:58 PM.
sanjuancapokayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
Amish Ed

Congrats on the PB's. Haven't fished the Pipe in a while. Glad to see there's still some fish there.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #3
DanaPT

thread jack: DP different spot same result.

HA HA, we have similar reports. I was out there too but at the headlands, oh so early, around 5:45 am (burr it was cold). dropped bait (fresh dead squid) and for a while it was pretty fun. 3 to the boat and a few missed chances that hunkered down with the help of rocks/kelp. Had a 15 and 17 inch. Those ones stand out.

Not sure I landed another fish after 9. I must have been right behind you, was off the water by 11:30 am but I launched at the boat ramp.

While I saw a lot of seals, birds, and dolphins, no whales or mass schools of bait fish. And not another kayaker (fishing) in sight.

sorry for the stupid pose, getting used to the go pro camera.
Attached Images

DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
Mr hooks

Next time you guys head out let me know I live here in north OC. Good post. I want to head out to New Port Artificial Reef. If we surf lunch we could get there in about 2mi or less. Let me know if you guys want to head out.
Mr hooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
sanjuancapokayak

You got it Mr. Hooks...I usually fish early week M-W. early and have to be off water by 11:30am. Would like to surf launch for the first time. Definately interested in doing the reef off N.P. Leaving for Las Vegas early tomorrow and will be back late Monday. Leave me a message of when you want to hit the fish in N.P.
I definately need/want some fellow kayak buds to hit the water with. I'm eating that Sandbass in a sandwich while I'm typing this lol. Hard to pick out the bones when ya got the fish between a pita bread.

That's funny, I'd a seen ya out there Wed. if I'd have been fishing my normal grounds. Good going on the 15" and 17". Did yours fight much? Mine came up heavy but real easy, fought about 10 ft. from kayak...and then acted like it was exhausted after that??? Weird fish that one. And, do sandbass have that whatya call it on the top fin...looks like a worm or something??? Was wondering if they all grow those when the get big...or maybe it's a male ??? Just thought I'd ask...
sanjuancapokayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
blitzburgh

Nice work guys!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:26 AM   #7
fishing-kayak
Junior

That's a great catch.
Congrats.