Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 02-03-2021, 07:38 PM   #1
captainbarky
Junior

LJ 02-03-2021

tldr; nada.

Today was my first beach launch and landing on the new-to-me solo skiff.

I hit the water at 08:30, with a good amount of fog. Air temp was low to mid 50s and water temp was 56. Wave intervals were a little tight and bigger than I'd like for a first launch, although I've done it with a PA14 a couple dozen times. Of note, the extra weight of the solo skiff makes it difficult to correct after a wave has turned you.

Once out of the preserve, I made a quick six pieces of bait - all good sized Spanish macs. I headed to 90' of water and drifted with surface and bottom baits. It didn't look like anyone was getting action, so I threw out an X-Rap and trolled to the hump, then south, and north again. In 120', outside of everyone, I almost ran over a spot of puddling YT. I had two sloppy throws with a chrome iron before they sunk out. Oops. Mint and blue/white are the hot colors.

Around 11:30, the SW/W swell was getting on the large side, so I powered in. Landing was easy, even with a hard kelp wrapped on the prop. It was nice to be able to start the day late, cover lots of ground, and end it early.
captainbarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:24 PM   #2
FISH11

Congrats on you first surf launch and landing on your Solo Skiff. I had decided that today's little break in the storms was a little short with the wind having been forecast to get higher by mid day. When I checked the Shores Hotel web cam this morning, I saw the heavy overcast and fog, while being nice and warm drinking my cup of coffee at home. I'm betting on Friday being a good day for LJ on the Solo Skiff. See you out there one of these days.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:33 AM   #3
Flounder

We were out there yesterday with a small group of yaks in hopes of some winter yt, I did the same and didnt find much. Everything good sized was deepest 1/3 of water column. 1 biteoff on the bottom and a few baits with some minor fish rash. Low winds good swell and sea was not angry, but not happy either. Ended day with a visit from some Gray whales.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote