Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
Flyfisher70

Bilge Pump

I have a Rule bilge pump 360gph, which I was running on a 6 Volt 7ah battery with a timer switch set, inline fuse and had it set at cycles of 15 seconds on/off. Well the bilge pump already took a dump after only using it on two outing.

Is this normal for the pump to stop working so soon after only two outings? Should I get another type off pump or do you guys think I just got a bad pump from the get go?

I did all the trouble shooting I could do, all wires and connections are corrosion free. I even cut the wire and tried the pump with just the battery and the pump is completely dead.

Thanks for any help guys.
Flyfisher70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Lets_Fish

Fuse?

Did you check your fuse? Sometimes it's the first thing to go. What amp of fuse are you using? Make sure it's met's the requirement of your pump needs.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
pchen911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher70 View Post
Is this normal for the pump to stop working so soon after only two outings?
Nope, not normal at all.

I ran mine on 12 volt and had one go bad after about 2 years. The second one is still going strong after 3 years.

My use interval is very irregular though. Sometimes I use it 3 times a week, sometimes I don't use it for half a year. Sometimes I just use the bait tube for the simplicity.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
Flyfisher70

Using a 3 amp fuse, the fuse looks good. The required fuse on the 360 say 2.5 amp.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
dorado50

Check for weed wrapped around shaft at impeller. That will stop a pump. Clear and u should be good to go!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
Flyfisher70

Went down to OEX and purchased another bilge pump. This time I'll keep the packaging and the receipt in case this one takes a dump as well. The packaging say 3 year warranty, I feel somewhat cheated. I'll see what rule-industries could do in a way of an exchange or even a refund, although I think it will be hard without the original packaging and receipt.

Thanks for the help guys.