Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
el pescator

First timer today and loved it! Fished LJ

Well all,

I have broken my cherry today with my first yak fishing experience. For those that don't know, I bought a Trident 11 last Saturday and joined BWE that same night. I am an experienced fisherman and usually take the sport boats but found a great deal on a new addiction so I went "all in".. I didnt go out this week as I needed to purchase a few safety items and it turned out to be a great decision. I was going to fish the bays for a while for a couple of reasons. One is that I've never used a Kayak. Two is that I'm beyond green in Kayak fishing. With that said I took an overnight offshore trip yesterday and didn't even get picked up! There was at least 200 scoops of bait on the 30+ patty's we stopped on. Anyways, my need to try for a YT today on my new yak just had to happen. Well this is where the story gets better....

On the way out i dumped my yak about 100 yards from shore. Thankfully I had just recievd rod and paddle leashes in the mail yesterday so I DIDNT LOOSE A SINGLE THING!! I was able to reset myself and my gear and headed out. I spent about 4 hours out there trying plastics, surface irons, live bait that I caught, but not sure what they were, and a megabait. The bait I caught looked like a sardine in a way with a dark back and silver side with a yellow splash of color in and around the eyes. What is this and is it a good bait to use?? I found out that nose hooking this unknown bait was a bad idea as it was very soft and casted right off. I got fried by the sun, was sitting in water the whole time and lost several plastics. I did learn a lot about using my fish finder, bait tank and anchor system tho. I also learned that bringing backpack was a bad choice. I will be bringing a small tackle box next time!
I found that once I was out there the community of Kayak fisherman were very friendly and open to answering questions. I was surprised to see how many guys were doing this actually!

I didnt catch a single fish and I'm as green as they come. Maybe I shouldnt have gone big by going out to LJ for my virgin experience but that's just the kind of guy I am. As I headed back in I realized I was about 2nm from LJ Shores but very comfy out there. I wish I knew more about the sport and would really like if someone would be willing to help me out and show me the ropes a little. I paddled back in and ended up getting dumped again in the surf.. Once again all of my gear was accounted for and I made it ashore safetly. I cant wait to go again and cant wait to land my first fish off a yak! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post but I'm hoping my story will inspire one of you BWE experienced fisherman to take me under your wing.... Tight lines and thank you!

P.S. I wouldn't have known how to recover from being capsized if it wasn't for reading posts on this site. Invaluable info that I am very grateful for!!!
el pescator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
StinkyMatt

Welcome to the community.

Post up your fishing p,ans a couple days ahead of time. There are countless kayak fishermen in SD that will help you out.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Good job on leashing everything down. What could have been a horrible experience like YakAttack had on his first trip out on his new yak http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=18597 for you was a good and fun learning experience.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
el pescator

Thanks for the advice StinkyMatt. I think ill try again tomorrow in SD Bay. I plan to launch out of Shelter Island around 9am...
Old 08-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
el pescator

Just viewed the link AlanW.. OMG!! I feel so bad for this guy... The one thing I do know about fishing and boating, in any form, is to expect the unexpected. I will say that having all my gear leashed/roped and tied was my only rule to myself before i was to get in the water..PLEASE LEARN FROM EXAMPLE NEW GUYS! LEASH ALL YOUR GEAR!! EVERY SINGLE THING!!!

I was going to take a safety course before I went out as well but everyone's informative posts on this site gave me a enough confidence to charge the LJ kelp.... For those that may be reading this that are not experienced and feeling confident, please note that I've been a surfer, free diver, boater and overall general waterman for over 28 years... Please respect the ocean, bays, lakes and rivers. We are but a flea on mother natures hide!! We can be easily scratched off...