Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

La jolla Thursday and friday

Going down to La Jolla for the first real fishing trip there, figure this will be my only chance to fish the MLPA areas. I don't have a fish finder or GPS and am still a fishing newb so I wanted to run some things by you guys.

All I've ever caught are mackerel and I'd love to just even pull up rockfish. I have my reel spooled with 30lb spectra and was figurin I'll just do a dropper loop with two hooks on it and pin frozen squid/ shrimp and drop it down to the bottom around promising areas, move every 15 minutes if no bites. Jig a saki for bait while I'm at it.

Never been around the point anywhere in particular I should be looking? I'd love to hook up on a yellowtail of course but I'm probably nowhere bear ready for that.

Recommendations on hooks and line test? Should I get a heavy jig to pin squid two and work that while I soak stuff? Probably wouldn't hurt to do that to even practice casting, I still get my daiwa wavmaster all tangled anytime I try casting it.

Thanks again! Maybe I'll see some of you out there, help will be returned with beer!
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

your not going to stay still on the water, you'll drift. so set a drift from just outside the boueys to the squid grounds. make bait, then drift outside and in between the commercial lobster pots. you should pick up rockfish and calicos in there. they're plentiful. then go ahead and try the kelp. use a 3 or 4oz weight to hit bottom quick while you drift through holes. let it set and drag for a few seconds and dodge the kelp stringers the best you can (you need to be looking into the water at all times, they pop out of no where) and just keep dropping as you find a clear spot. dont be afraid to drop in a small spot where theres only 10ft between stringers. if you can hit bottom quick enough, a few seconds is all it takes to get bit.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Thanks, I've never made squid before. Should I invest in a squid jig or will a sabiki work? Are the squid grounds just off the point?

The only experience I've had in la jolla is making it out past the buoys making mackerel and dropping them only to have my buddy get violently sea sick and have to turn in. Is making squid a before the sun rises kind of thing?

Super appreciate the info, I have been looking forward to this trip for a few weeks. Going to be a good one in my new x-13.

I was thinking of tying off to the kelp but pot hole drifting sounds like a whole lot more fun.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
eertkao
Steve-O.

Hey guys! I'm in the same boat as you are mr.adventure

Although I have yet to rig my kayak, I'm going to plan a LJ trip soon and would like to know the answers to your questions.

I look forward to some good info!
eertkao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:20 AM   #5
T Bone

Squid will hit a sabiki quite well.just reel them up slow.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
grey zone

You should hire a guide or at least get some basic saftey equipment like a GPS and a compass. I think your underestimating what your getting into.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
james92026

Well.....not knowing your experience, I can only relate to my own.

I thought I was confident in my abilities, I seemed to handle most basic maneurvers, I had confidence in the stability of my Cobra Navigator, so...I foolishly ventured out of Oceanside Harbor (alone) about 1/2 mile and found myself swimming unexpectedly. Many reasons, (as depicted in earlier post "Impromptu Ocean Swim"), but the point is, it happened so fast and unexpected I am hesitant to go out again until I practice re-entry several times in warmer water. I now have proper attire and while I am confident that it would be different, I dont feel ready......yet!

Good luck, BUT DO NOT GO ALONE!
james92026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
PescadorPete

Keep an eye on the wind:

COASTAL WATERS FORECAST

COASTAL WATERS FORECAST
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN DIEGO CA
151 PM PST WED DEC 14 2011

SAN MATEO POINT TO THE MEXICAN BORDER OUT 60 NM

PZZ700-150600-
151 PM PST WED DEC 14 2011

.SYNOPSIS FOR FAR SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA COAST...
AS WEAK HIGH PRESSURE BRIEFLY BUILDS OVER SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
TONIGHT...EXPECT DRY CONDITIONS WITH A LIGHT OFFSHORE FLOW. ON
THURSDAY A TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE APPROACHING FROM THE NORTH WILL
BRING STRONGER ONSHORE WINDS IN THE AFTERNOON...AND A CHANCE FOR
LIGHT SHOWERS THURSDAY NIGHT. DRY OFFSHORE FLOW DEVELOPS FRIDAY
BEHIND THE DEPARTING COLD FRONT AND WILL CONTINUE INTO THE WEEKEND.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Just got my waders and compass, have a pfd will head in if the conditions get too sketchy. I've been out a good number of times now and have not flipped but have practiced re-entry enough to feel safe. I checked the weather conditions it all looks okay. The wind forecast looked pretty moderate.

Are there guides for La Jolla this time of year? Any anyone recommends? I know it can get hairy out there real quick, I have no problem heading back in when I know I'm out of my element.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #10
coxtanker421

Just got back

made squid just fine. would like to post all my true feelings but some members may frown . lots of black sea bass hooked and released. did not see anybody bring in the right kind. PM if you would like all the dirty details.
coxtanker421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
Just got my waders and compass, have a pfd will head in if the conditions get too sketchy. I've been out a good number of times now and have not flipped but have practiced re-entry enough to feel safe. I checked the weather conditions it all looks okay. The wind forecast looked pretty moderate.

Are there guides for La Jolla this time of year? Any anyone recommends? I know it can get hairy out there real quick, I have no problem heading back in when I know I'm out of my element.
the kid is a guide there. if you really want to get put on fish then go for it, but if you like to adventure and not really care if you have a full stringer at then end then go solo. ill be out there sat. and i've been in 13mph winds 5ft swells with no problem. well. it was a bit of a problem, but nothing you cant handle by just paying attention to your surroundings and keep moving. you may want a drift sock and kelp clip as well.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #12
driftwood

The forcast calls for foggy conditions and windy. make sure your GPS has fresh batteries.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:26 AM   #13
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Got out on the water at 2:30Pm yesterday and paddled out to the kelp and potholed for about 20 minutes and just scouted stuff out. Now to go have a wonderful day out there