Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 02-13-2018, 03:31 PM   #21
jorluivil

AWESOME!!!!

also on a side note: since you're on a Hobie I would recommend you use the mirage drive to your advantage. When you see color I would recommend you start pedaling, this will get the fish to lay flat and keep you from having to muscle them in. Fish do not like to have their heads out of the water, they will thrash and pop the hook.

Anyway, congrats again on a nice winter time LJ YT!!!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:28 PM   #22
Baja Marty

That's one helluva nice yellowtail! And from a 'yak using 15# test? Incredible.... CONGRATS!

I'm not familiar with Hookup bait. Looked at their web site and it seems deadly for catching Calicos. I wonder if it will work on Cabrilla down in Baja Sur. I'll have to order some and give it a try.
Baja Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:44 PM   #23
bolocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Marty View Post
That's one helluva nice yellowtail! And from a 'yak using 15# test? Incredible.... CONGRATS!

I'm not familiar with Hookup bait. Looked at their web site and it seems deadly for catching Calicos. I wonder if it will work on Cabrilla down in Baja Sur. I'll have to order some and give it a try.
My paranoia is taking over. Two reports of hookup bait YT in LJ, can't seem to avoid the conspiracy theory in my head that this is a well planned commercial for hookup baits. Not accusing anyone, just sayin'...
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:23 PM   #24
Flounder

Squid bite

Since I was catching squid out there 2 weeks ago, im guessing they look like the squid the yellows are currently feeding on.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:13 AM   #25
sampei
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post
My paranoia is taking over. Two reports of hookup bait YT in LJ, can't seem to avoid the conspiracy theory in my head that this is a well planned commercial for hookup baits. Not accusing anyone, just sayin'...
It's true I did catch a yellowtail with the hookup bait but if you read at the post we spent 2 hours find bait with no success. I had these lures and got lucky. But it's also true that they don't last at all, I spend so much money on them catching a variety of species but, in my case, they are only good when new. I buy them from their website and never got anything free from the them not even a sticker. Lol
sampei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:16 AM   #26
JohnMckroidJr

Beautiful Yellowtail ! Congratulations ! Enjoyed the video.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:32 AM   #27
h2ofishfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampei View Post
It's true I did catch a yellowtail with the hookup bait but if you read at the post we spent 2 hours find bait with no success. I had these lures and got lucky. But it's also true that they don't last at all, I spend so much money on them catching a variety of species but, in my case, they are only good when new. I buy them from their website and never got anything free from the them not even a sticker. Lol
yep just super lucky he coulda got that dead sticking a iron with squid . Schools were moving in deeper water just had to have your . Yo-yo ,mac or in this case hook up bait in the right place right time. I was out there that day it was only a 1 hour window
Old 02-16-2018, 08:54 AM   #28
summers in kuwait

Pretty memorable first YT! Congrats! Nice meeting you at anglers arsenal yesterday. See you on the water!

Cheers,

Todd
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:28 PM   #29
jlabs63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post
I have caught a few yellows (all rats) with Hookup Baits. A couple of months ago I caught 2 rat yellows, a short WSB and 2 keeper calicos in about 10 casts. I also caught a 25" calico in November. They get bit, but they do not last.

Duckbutter, how did you catch it? Were you deadsticking it, or bouncing it off the bottom?

Baja Marty, I think the grouper will definitely bite them, but they will likely tear them apart. Also, they take a while to sink. Until recently, the heaviest one was 1.5 oz. I was stoked to see they came out with a 4 oz, but I almost fell over when I saw the $20 price tag. The Anchovy color looks like a sardina, so that would work. I caught two nice ones on an Anchovy Flat Fall. I love catching them!
jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:19 PM   #30
Duckbutter619
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabs63 View Post
I have caught a few yellows (all rats) with Hookup Baits. A couple of months ago I caught 2 rat yellows, a short WSB and 2 keeper calicos in about 10 casts. I also caught a 25" calico in November. They get bit, but they do not last.

Duckbutter, how did you catch it? Were you deadsticking it, or bouncing it off the bottom?

Baja Marty, I think the grouper will definitely bite them, but they will likely tear them apart. Also, they take a while to sink. Until recently, the heaviest one was 1.5 oz. I was stoked to see they came out with a 4 oz, but I almost fell over when I saw the $20 price tag. The Anchovy color looks like a sardina, so that would work. I caught two nice ones on an Anchovy Flat Fall. I love catching them!
Jlabs, I’m not too familiar with the terminology. I’m pretty new to everything so what is dead sticking? I was slow trolling with the 1oz bouncing it around 5 ft off the bottom. I also agree the hookups do not last but I have a lot of action on them especially with the bay bass. To me they are worth the price tag just because I’m pulling way more fish with them.
Duckbutter619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:52 PM   #31
Dingokevin

dead stick- just sitting there. standard tubes work the same and are dirt cheap
Dingokevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #32
lamb

Heluva fish for a first, on 15# to boot!
Old 02-23-2018, 08:38 PM   #33
kayakfisherman

Congrats! That's quite a story!! Love it!!
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:33 AM   #34
RookieYakker

Nice fish! You sure got your hugs in before you got home! Ha!
RookieYakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:16 AM   #35
_Obed
Bird nest master

congrats man. nice fish.

on a side note.. for the guy commenting on the noise, smh... you obviously never fished off a pb, charter/cattle boat where everyone is sooo respectful silent and the capt isnt on a loud speaker... please keep your "advice" comments to yourself.. especially when its shitty advice.. just enjoy the clip and move on..

liked and sub'd dude keep up the good work..
already one unlike.. congrats man you got some haters.
_Obed is offline   Reply With Quote