Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Observations and questions (halibut)

So last Thursday I went out bound and determined to catch my first Halibut.

I had the van loaded up and when I got off work at midnight, drove the van down to Newport and slept in till like 7. And boy were the reports off. Wind was about a steady 10mph all day. I get out and could NOT make bait, I would meter some and by the time I dropped I was away from them. I made one little mac, and one sardine and paddled down to the north end of crystal cove.

My plan was to troll the back of the surf zone, but that was clearly out of the question. It seems like he kelp has grown since I was last there, right up to the surf zone and the surf was pumping. SO I tried tossing my 1.5oz leadhead to bounce it along the bottom to see if I could get some action but the wind and current just weren't working for me.

So i got back in like 50ft of water and trolled back to the harbor. A question, on a day when the wind and current are ripping you just need more weight to stay on the bottom right? I was using a 5 oz and couldn't stay on the bottom. So more weight right? And what should be the angle of the dangle of my line, no more than 45 degree right?

When I put on like an 8oz sinker I have a hard time keeping it right, either every swell pulls more line, or I have to put the reel in gear and back off the drag to get it to tug along I totally get why lever drag is used for trolling, just don't have one right now. Trolling between 1-2 mph am I going to fast on this.

I also thought I was a clever devil by gooping my ducer at the prow of my yak thinking I would meter stuff and be able to drop on it quicker. Well don't do that, all day I was being slammed up and down and every time my bow lifted out of the water the finder would loose contact and take a 10-30 seconds to get a good reading again. It was really frustrating and maybe contributed to my not finding bait.

I REALLY want to land my first Halibut, I've heard that spring time in Crystal Cove is bananas for Halibut. But I've also heard the kelp around Dana Point is great too, maybe I'll give there a go next time.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
min-va

In these kind of wind, maybe should just try drifting instead of trolling, slow down a bit.

Free spool, clicker on....and keep drifting~~ and then...zzzzz..zzz.z..z.zz fish on!!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

yeah, It was my only bait down there and he wasn't looking so hot and I was a little fed up and just jamming back to the harbor.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
cobrakid
Junior

the angle of your dangle is crucial.
cobrakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

On those days I swear alot then go home. But you will have better luck going and jigging around the bait barge for Macs feeding off bait escaping the nets. Then trolling the harbor. Just match your tackle to the size of bait and hope a big hungry flatty is around. I use a6oz to keep the big bait from swimming up

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakid View Post
the angle of your dangle is crucial.
I disagree. halibut are more concerned with the beat of your meat.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
taggermike

I agree with William, some days you just gotta give up or have a plan "B". There can be good halibut fishing inside most harbors and you can make smelt inside too, usually. It kinda depends on my rig and water depth but I like to have the line as verticle as possible. With 6oz or more it's very difficult to slow troll or drift with the clicker on. Spectra lets you use less weight as it drags in the water less. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Yeah plan B was heading out like 200 ft of water where people have been doing rockfish reports, but the white caps ended that one!

Can you make smelt on sabiki? are they fairly hardy?
Old 05-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
Bennyblanco
Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
Yeah plan B was heading out like 200 ft of water where people have been doing rockfish reports, but the white caps ended that one!

You sure can all day long.if you troll from coastguard station down to the red bouy chances of landing a halibut are great.i like to get in when low tide is on.it will drag you out and by the time you get to the red bouy high tide will bring you in..let me know when you wanna head out there again I got room for three kayaks.
Bennyblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #10
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

sounds good Benny, I have this weekend off and nobody wants to take me up on plans so lets see what's up
Old 05-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I'm down too if ya'll will have me:-) don't know what I'm targeting till I hit the water and see what conditions are but I live 3 miles from the launch

Old 05-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

go over to BD and message a guy named "tunataxi" he might may be able to get you some Butt.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
dc1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post

I manage about 7 smelt last weekend in Dana Point. If you ever head down that way hit me up I go out usually once a weekend
dc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
kobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
go over to BD and message a guy named "tunataxi" he might may be able to get you some Butt.

Good advice right there. The guy might be a little like HTBO. But, he does seem to know what he's doing.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #15
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobra View Post
Good advice right there. The guy might be a little like HTBO. But, he does seem to know what he's doing.

WOOOOOORD.

I HURD HE'S A COOL CAT

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #16
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
WOOOOOORD.

I HURD HE'S A COOL CAT
Just ask him.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote