Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Lake Perris Trout

So my buddy is comin out and we're going to take the yaks out to lake Perris tomorrow. I was planning on slow trolling a rapala shad and a powerbait/worm combo around the shoreline where it starts to drop off.

Anyway I could make this plan better? Anyone been out there and have success on trout?

Thanks
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

I always had great luck trolling / drifting along the dam. But when we trolled we were using downriggers on a boat. Much easier to keep the baits down in the strike zone. You can always locate schools of shad and drop down Kastmasters / Phoebe's on them as well.

Question: Why not launch at Bernasconi beach and work Rock Climbers Cove for some big ass green bass? Some good bassin' to be had on Huddleston's / Optimum Swimbaits, etc....

If I were trolling I'd be trolling those a ways back working various depths in Rock Climbers Cove.

Last edited by seriola_killer; 04-17-2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

My buddy isn't so much into fishing so I want to keep it simple and we'll mostly paddle around scouting stuff. I don't have really decent freshwater rods set up anyway. I plan in getting a nice baitcaster soon and we could hit up those coves!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
steveooo

Ive done good there trolling little rapalas & anything silver or gold like castmasters or bouyants. I would start from the boat ramp and work my way to the dam, with most fish being caught withing 50yds of shore. Goodluck
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
jake42frsocal

I went out there last month, I had no luck althought I was fishing for bass. It got really windy in the afternoon and made it hard to paddle back.
jake42frsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
CheapPelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriola_killer View Post
...Question: Why not launch at Bernasconi beach and work Rock Climbers Cove for some big ass green bass? ...
Bernasconi is infamous for having cars broken into there. Never seen it for myself but there is always broken glass in the parking lot, especially outside of the gate.

Whatever you do, drift a night crawler at the same time. Anything there will eat it, I dont know about the striper though.

Inflate to give it some buoyancy and drop shot it 3-4' from the bottom. Or pinch on a few split shot 12" above, just enough keep it down, and fish it at different depths. I use 4lb leader & swivel to 6lb because Split shot sometimes kinks lighter line. Drift one rod with half a worm and the other with a 3/4" piece. Pan fish will pick apart a large worm. If trout hits your half worm, have your buddy pull the 3/4" piece in and swap it for a half a worm. Viceversa for the 3/4" piece.

As for Bass, cant help you there

BTW, the gates are suposed to be closed weds and thurs untill the end of the month. You can still walk in. Have fun pulling your yaks up the driveway
CheapPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
eertkao
Steve-O.

I went to Perris a couple weeks ago and the one trout we caught was at the point that sticks out between the boat dock and the tackle shop/boat rental-area. Caught it on a standard power mouse set-up (chartreuse trout worm w/ chart/white power dough).

Hope that helps
Old 04-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

thanks for the heads up n the lake being closed. that would have been frustrating