Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

First time lobstering NPH

Got some hoops and paddled out of the aquatic center to learn a few things about hooping from a kayak.

Nothing went catastrophic on the trip just a series of mistakes. We forgot to bring bait was a huge one, but there is a bait barge that floats in the mouth of the harbor so I figured we would be alright.

We launched in the back of the bay which was a 3.5 mile paddle against current to the mouth of the harbor, where.... the bait barge was gone for winter... DANG! So we had to leave the harbor and get out on the big ocean with no moon and I had to make bait. When I was about to call it quits I hooked onto the biggest mackerel I've ever caught which lifted our spirits, so he got cut up and put into the hoop nets.

A word on these nets if I may, they take up a significant area of deck space and there was no way to have them lay flat with the two of us on board. So for the 3.5 mile journey they were propped vertically between my lower back and my milk crate, not the most comfortable of arrangements.

So mackerel in hoop nets were dropped to the bottom of the harbor and we floated around just goofing off and pulling the nets up every 15 minutes. Just little crabs but hey it's something! I decided to call it quits for the night since it was 12:30 and we still had a good paddle. Also the kayak was beginning to feel a little too unstable to me so we crashed it on a beach and I flipped and drained like... half the sea out of it.

Apparently with two grown men and 70 lbs of gear on it my kayak takes on water at an alarming rate, so before I go out again I'm going to need to put in a hatch and find the leak and seal it up from the inside. So Slightly more buoyant and current at our back we made good time back to the harbor and enjoyed a heated and music filled van ride back to the IE, getting 23 mpg with the kayak on top. That's a 5 mpg increase thanks to some new driving tips I learned. Or perhaps my destroyed rear end increases aerodynamics?

I'm a noob to fishing, let alone from the kayak. I've gone out about six times now and... well all I've caught are mackerel, but I'm quite determined to land an actual fish. I'm going to get the kayak rigged out and I'm going to get a hotel in La Jolla and make a 3 day trip out of it, until I finally land something!
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
Caffeind

Your screen name says it all

That ambition alone will get you some fish man, keep it up and enjoy learning along the way.

Glad you guys made it in and out safely (maybe better to say alive? haha!)
Caffeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
StinkyMatt

Next time you go out, post it up ahead of time. You will likely make some friends who will save you hours of wasted fishing time.

Tight lines.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Next time you go out, post it up ahead of time. You will likely make some friends who will save you hours of wasted fishing time.

Tight lines.
That's the plan, will post up when I go to la jolla on a weekday. When I went I hadn't seen water that clear since Hawaii. Made 4 mackerel in one jig and everything was beyond promising till my sea sick buddy started chummingthe water. Can't wait to get back out there and try for one of those yellowtail!
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote