Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2014, 02:38 AM   #1
crazywakeboarder

Pacific Bonito good to eat?

I caught two large bonito and threw them back when I was at La Jolla, do you guys do the same or are they good to eat?
crazywakeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:16 AM   #2
inbx3

You can cook the meat and chop it up to make "tuna" salad for sandwiches. Had it on the San Diego about 10yrs ago. Pretty good. Did it myself with some back then and nobody complained.
inbx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:58 AM   #3
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywakeboarder View Post
I caught two large bonito and threw them back when I was at La Jolla, do you guys do the same or are they good to eat?
As long as you bleed them immediately they're not too bad! Otherwise they end up tasting really "fishy" (unless you like "fishy").
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:14 AM   #4
Saba Slayer

yea!

IMHO Bonito is great table fare...of all the Tuna family it seems to spoil the quickest...I spike the head of the fish to keep it from thrashing and tenderizing the meat...then I pull a few gills to bleed it...once it's bled out in the bait tank I put it on ice. If you don't care for this fish it will turn mushy and the meat will separate and taste funky. There are lots of small Bones all over the Redondo Canyon and at the PV kelp line...they really haven't moved into King Harbor yet.
My favorite ways of prepping the Bones is for Spicy Tuna...filet the fish and cut out all the dark meat or bloodline. Then chop into small pieces and mix into the spicy sauce. The spicy sauce is...Mayo, Rooster sauce (Sarichi) to taste, Masago (flying fish egg or smelt roe), a splash of rice vinegar and soy, a splash of sesame oil and hot chili oil, a little ginger, lots of blackened sesame seeds, and some sea salt from Hawaii.
This is a Mexican style poki I learned from the panga guys down in the East Cape... Squeeze the juice from some limes and soak some small pieces of Bonito in the lime juice for about 15 minutes then add the lime cooked fish to a sauce made from Soy, Wasabi, and chopped green onions. Simple but delicious.
Bonito Sashimi and sushi rolls are good too.
Smoked Bonito is another popular dish at my house. We marinate the cleaned fish fillets in Terrayaki, Ginger and Brown Sugar overnight, then put the fillets on a rack to air dry. I roll the fillets in brown sugar then place them back on the rack and sprinkle some Cajun Spices and or Lemon Pepper on them, then smoke the fillets for a couple of hours...Delicious...!
Good Luck
Jim / Saba Slayer

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 08-26-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #5
Siebler

What Jim said.

I love bonito, just have to spike and bleed and get on ice or in the tank.

I like grilling a piece for a tuna burger or cooking for tuna salad. They are really good canned.

Definitely one fish that doesnt get near the credit they deserve. be good to them and they will be good to you!

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #6
crazywakeboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
IMHO Bonito is great table fare...of all the Tuna family it seems to spoil the quickest...I spike the head of the fish to keep it from thrashing and tenderizing the meat...then I pull a few gills to bleed it...once it's bled out in the bait tank I put it on ice. If you don't care for this fish it will turn mushy and the meat will separate and taste funky. There are lots of small Bones all over the Redondo Canyon and at the PV kelp line...they really haven't moved into King Harbor yet.
My favorite ways of prepping the Bones is for Spicy Tuna...filet the fish and cut out all the dark meat or bloodline. Then chop into small pieces and mix into the spicy sauce. The spicy sauce is...Mayo, Rooster sauce (Sarichi) to taste, Masago (flying fish egg or smelt roe), a splash of rice vinegar and soy, a splash of sesame oil and hot chili oil, a little ginger, lots of blackened sesame seeds, and some sea salt from Hawaii.
This is a Mexican style poki I learned from the panga guys down in the East Cape... Squeeze the juice from some limes and soak some small pieces of Bonito in the lime juice for about 15 minutes then add the lime cooked fish to a sauce made from Soy, Wasabi, and chopped green onions. Simple but delicious.
Bonito Sashimi and sushi rolls are good too.
Smoked Bonito is another popular dish at my house. We marinate the cleaned fish fillets in Terrayaki, Ginger and Brown Sugar overnight, then put the fillets on a rack to air dry. I roll the fillets in brown sugar then place them back on the rack and sprinkle some Cajun Spices and or Lemon Pepper on them, then smoke the fillets for a couple of hours...Delicious...!
Good Luck
Jim / Saba Slayer
So do you take ice out on the water with you to immediately ice them?
crazywakeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #7
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Your cat will love it.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #8
Dail14

If it does go bad on you, save it for Lobster season.
Dail14 is offline   Reply With Quote