Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
Phatford
Heroes on the Water Staff

THULE roof Racks for a Hobie

I am getting killed on gas prices driving my 8.1 liter truck to and from the beach..... So I am thinking of putting a roof rack on my Chevy Aveo (this car gets the chicks ha ha). My kayak is a Hobie Outback...

Anyone have experience with the Thule racks specifically?
I can get my best deal about 50% off through my best friend.
There are a couple different bases, two options for bars Square or Aero, and a miriad of kayak holding options. Non of which show a sit on top kayak... ha ha So before I plunk down money I wanted to find out from the experts...
Thanks guys
Phatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
joshg
Junior

I'm dealing with the same problem myself.. I have a brand new acura and my REVO is huge! I can use soft racks anymore, I just don't know if they make them for my car!

Good luck
joshg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Phatford

I know I am going to get laughed at when I roll out to the beach, My kayak and surboard both are longer than the little car is... ha ha
Old 07-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
joshg
Junior

Yeah I have the same problem!! hahaha Now some how I have 2 kayaks now so I really don't know how this all will work out!
joshg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
blitzburgh

I have a Thule rig on my Mazda 3 hb and love it. I've had it for about a year & a half now, using it approx. every couple of weeks with no issues. Every few trips or so I just check to make sure everything is secure and tight. Great quality & MADE IN THE USA! When I was installing my rack I had some questions, called customer service and got very good help. If you can get it on the cheap, jump all over it. I got the regular bars but wish I would have sprung for the aero bars just because they look nicer. Get the Fairing for sure though. It cuts down the wind noise big time. I went with the Glide and Set option. I wanted the Hullivator but its only rated to 75lbs. and I have a Pro Angler soooo...nope. Also, they have a cool mat accessory to put on your roof while loading now. I'd pick that up too. Sand + Car paint = . Your set up won't be too ridiculous. Here is a pic of my PA on my sled. Don't get much funnier than this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PAonMazda.jpg (63.4 KB, 209 views)
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
scoop

I have Thule on my VW Jetta. I went square, and would do so again!

Made a getto rack extender, see detail in

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...&postcount=107

Saves on the chiropractor bills
scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
romspacenut

I have a the Thule Slipstream on my Acura RDX and my haul my Hobie PA that way. No issues.
romspacenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
tagyak

if you go with thule, go with the square rack. this will allow for you to use a yakima mounting hardware too.
yakima's are round but the mounts are made so if you have a square bar, you can just cut off some extra plastic on the mounts to use for a thule rack. thought that was smart of yakima to do.
also if you look on c.l. for yakima racks you can find some good deals. i got mine from c.l. for around $50, the mako and the hully rollers.
i have mine mounted to a honda crv, your outback is going to look big compared to your aveo.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
jorluivil

I know the feeling. I was getting killed on fuel on my Tundra so I bought a Yakima rack for my wifes Honda Accord, my Tundra gets about 15mpg compared to 22mpg on the Accord. I only use my Tundra if I'm fishing local or going to LJ in a group of two or more. Do like I do and try to get a group together that will carpool.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
fredsoller
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoop View Post
I have Thule on my VW Jetta. I went square, and would do so again!

Made a getto rack extender, see detail in

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...&postcount=107

Saves on the chiropractor bills
Love Ur getto rack extender. I saw Tule wanted $80 +/- for theirs. Was thinkin some kind of channel or tube would fit right in the square. Looks like a project I can do.
fredsoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Dude how do you launch... just drive out into the ocean until the car is folating and peddle off... or does the car just float below the PA?

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
fredsoller
Junior

I use a Hull-a-port pro on a Honda Civic to haul a Malibu X-13 all around mountain lakes in Oregon. Moved to AZ 6 mo ago and the yak made the 1400 mile trip just fine. Great, secure carrier. Picked up a Glide and Slide on the cheap and I'm sure it'll work fine, too...just haven't told the little Mrs about the 2nd yak plan.
fredsoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #13
Phatford

Wow thank you guys for posting up... Yeah I am definately getting a THULE rack, especially since I haven't seen a "I lost my boat because of a Thule rack" ha ha

The one thing I was thinking was that on an Aveo it is pretty narrow, so I would have to tilt the kayak if I wanted two up there right? (I know some of you are thinking, thats more weight above the rack than below). ha ha....

Are the racks really that noisy that you need the deflector? Or is that a car by car basis?

Thanks again guys!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #14
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Great Rack!

I use Yakima racks, mako saddles, hulley rollers and the hullraisers on top of my old Pathfinder....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00375.jpg (74.3 KB, 131 views)
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #15
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Quote:
The one thing I was thinking was that on an Aveo it is pretty narrow, so I would have to tilt the kayak if I wanted two up there right? (I know some of you are thinking, thats more weight above the rack than below). ha ha....
The bar can extend past your car...

Quote:
Are the racks really that noisy that you need the deflector? Or is that a car by car basis?
Try using the rack without a deflector first. It's a simple add on that you can put on afterwards.

FYI: the Thule website has a "fit guide" section. I linked it below...

http://www.thule.com/fitguide/index....n-US&Market=US
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:20 PM   #16
Phatford

Thank you Yes I kind of thought about having it wider but I am dumb enough to keep bumping into anything sticking out all the time and since the rack will always be on the car... I think I have to go with whatever fits...

I did go to the Thule website and believe it or not Today they changed it and discontinued the one I thought I was going to buy and they added prices to the website which is cool... ha ha

The problem with their fit guide is that it is strictly for the car.... I wanted to know what worked for our style kayaks too.... I guess there isn't a huge difference?

I think I am set on buying the aero bars and the kayak mounts that tilt the kayak. I can't see any real difference in the bases?

Again thank you guys you helped me out a lot.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:21 AM   #17
Lets_Fish

Save some $$$

If you plan on loading your yak upside down, you will only need to purchase the cross bars, four "bases", some type of padding for cross bar and tie downs.

I have a set of Thule's on my F-150 with two pairs of the Glide & Set to carry two yaks. As with any kayak the hulls differ so placing equal amounts of pressure onto the "rack" is difficult. I also have a wagon that has a Inno rack. It came with large form blocks & a cable that lets you "lock" the yak to the rack, but once again hull design comes into play using those blocks. I purchased a set of foam surfboard pads and placed those over the cross bars. Now when I load the yak onto the wagon I load it upside down.

As for noise, the racks do add some to it. You will also have a decrease in gas mileage. I do not have the fairing on either of my vehicles but have been thinking of purchasing one for my wagon since I use it more hoping to increase mileage and reduce noise.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote