Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
User name

Eventful/ heartbreaking Days of Fishing

Sorry in advance for the long winded post but last weekend at the Sewer was the most eventful/ heartbreaking days of fishing I have ever had.

I hit the water at 6am on Saturday and quickly made bait near the boat launch and started trolling. After a while I made it to the lighthouse. The water was calm and the wind hadn’t picked up so I decided to try my luck on the outside of the break wall. After about a half mile something big hit my bait. The fish fought hard for about a minute and the popped off. When I got my line to the surface I could see that one of the hooks on the treble had broken off.

Determined to make up for the fish I lost, I quickly retied and set out another greenback. With no one around I decided test out some new gear and practice fly lining for an upcoming La Jolla trip. Not long after, the fly lined greenback got hammered. Now my rod is fully racked and the fish is heading into the kelp. The inevitable happened and the fish got tangled in the kelp. After a few minutes of trying to get it out, my other line fishing the bottom gets slammed and also runs into the kelp. With two big fish in the kelp I decided to focus on one rod and hope for the best. After another minute with two rods fully racked, I felt the line (brand new 65lb Spectra) in my hand pop. I transferred my attention to my other line and as soon as I touched that line, it broke off. Now I was certain that today just wasn’t my day. But after a few expletives I quickly got some new lines in the water. After an hour of nothing, I get picked up and finally get a fish landed; my first Bonito.

photo 3_zpsb2b2ca1a.jpg

Now feeling a little better I set out another greenback. A few minutes later I got hooked up again and landed a nice hali. I was planning on C&R everything today but it swallowed the trap hook, so this one made it to the dinner table.

photo 1_zps0976a2b0.jpg

When I got home that night I was still juiced on how good the bight was and really wanted to bet back out there and see if I could catch what hit my fly line. Exhausted from the long day of fishing I decided to head out Sunday at 7am. I got to the outside and started fly lining greenbacks. After an hour I got hooked up and once again the fish ran into the kelp. This time I was able to muscle the fish to the surface and pull out my PB Calico. With fish from the day before, this one made it back out to fight another day.

photo 5_zpsf1d501d5.jpg
User name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
tamddo714

Nice butt on the flyline. I don't see that too often
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
User name

Oh sorry for the confusion. I got the butt trolling the bottom and the others on the flyline.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #4
jorluivil

Bummer...................but on the bright side you did go home with some halibut

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Doesn't sound too heartbreaking to me...?

Sounds like you lost 2 mystery fish....If that's heartbreaking....uhhh....

Looks like your doing pretty good to me, lotta guys are still looking for their first halibut, and your starting to throw'n em' back....?
Old 07-29-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
User name

I know you are right. It was heartbreaking up until I started landing fish. Even with the lost fish it was the best weekend fishing i have ever had.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
jorluivil

I just realized that if I include your two mystery fish you hooked more fish in one day than I've hooked in the last month

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:21 PM   #8
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I just realized that if I include your two mystery fish you hooked more fish in one day than I've hooked in the last month
I went 0 for three today on the flyline and watched the seabass of my dreams swim 5 feet under me with an u loaded speargun. I'm slumpin hard
Old 07-29-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
Widgeon

Sounds kind of sweet and sour.
Two weeks ago I had a serious snag and could not free it. I even tied the line to a Cleat on the yak and got a running start and when the line got taught, it almost tipped me over. That was 50# spectra with a 30# leader. I eventually had to cut my line.
Just makes me wonder if what happened to you might be caused by a bad knot. What knot do use?
Widgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #10
User name

I had an Albright 40# flouro to 65# spectra with a palomar at the hook on one and 50# spectra to a 3 way swivel with a palomar on the other. I'm pretty sure barnicals on the kelp cut it or the fish ran into the rocks in the break wall.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:04 PM   #11
Widgeon

Those are good knots. A guy from squidco once tied an Albright for me and said to make sure to make 30 wraps. I had been using 10 and had them slip.
I use a GT knot from line to leader.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #12
Widgeon

Great knot and easy to tie...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4R3_znSAPz8
Old 07-31-2014, 09:36 AM   #13
User name

Thanks for the info. Ill have to give the GT knot a try. I will also be doubling up on the wraps for the Albright from now on.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #14
Widgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
Thanks for the info. Ill have to give the GT knot a try. I will also be doubling up on the wraps for the Albright from now on.
I think you'll like the GT.
I've been using it for a few years now, up to 80# spectra with 40# leader. No problems whatsoever.
Just be sure to use some glue or tie a couple extra half hitches at the end.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:17 AM   #15
blitzburgh

Nice work