Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #21
taggermike

Gret vid. Thanks for posting. I noticed you put a muzzle or shealth around that ono's mouth befor you stashed it in the hatch. Great idea right there. What were you using bait or lure wise? Is that kage barbed or knotched in any way? Seams like if the spike was smooth or polished it would slide back out of the fish. Thanks, Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:25 AM   #22
Kau grown

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Gret vid. Thanks for posting. I noticed you put a muzzle or shealth around that ono's mouth befor you stashed it in the hatch. Great idea right there. What were you using bait or lure wise? Is that kage barbed or knotched in any way? Seams like if the spike was smooth or polished it would slide back out of the fish. Thanks, Mike
Aloha Mike, I like to use the muzzle to protect my fish bag in my hull, I ruined a bag stuffing ono's in without the muzzle before! Them teeth are razor sharp! I like to use whatever live bait that are around the peligcs since that is what they are feeding on, mostly scads. But sometimes they are very hard to find and catch and I'm stuck with using crystal minnows or swim baits. My kage is made out of a 3/8" stainless steel threaded rod. It usually sticks very well if you hit um in the head or spine, but if I get a meat or belly shot it does slip out if I don't back it up with my gaff! I also had a tuna slip off when I kaged it right through the eyes. Try to hit um in the head, it's very bony and it most likely will never slip off! I stoned a 71# tuna in the brain with my kage and pretty much had to unscrew it out because it was stuck so bad! Lol

Thanks mike and tight lines!
KG
Kau grown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #23
JarrodMc

Great day on the water man!
JarrodMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #24
Kau grown

Here's a new vid of the ono's I caught from the past couple weeks! I went out yesterday and had an EPIC day!!!! Hooked and landed 3 yellow fin tunas, 12#, 30#, and a monster 115# yellow fin tuna! A 4 hour battle and 3 mile tow kicked my butt! Lol but it was well worth it! Gonna work on that vid this weekend and post it here when it's done! Mahalo everyone for the awseome comments and aloha!

KG

http://youtu.be/cRW3VNC4bbc
Old 12-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #25
ful-rac
Emperor

That's some awsome fishing you have over there! I still can't belive you can actually catch wahoo from your kayak! How far do you usually have to paddle? Man if you wanted to catch wahoo here you'd have to go on a 7-8 day out of san diego...and go about 600 miles...your a lucky guy! Cant' wait for the yellowfin video that's too cool!!!
Old 12-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #26
VINNYC
VINNY

Damnn

You make me want to tell my wife were going on a vacation to Hawaii and just fish the entire time were there, looks like a blast!!!
VINNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #27
Kau grown

Worlds largest fish!

The day before I caught a 115# yellow fin tuna I bumped into the worlds largest fish, this whale shark was massive!!!!! It made a 19 foot boat next to it look like a lil dingy!!!! It hung out for about 10 minutes until the boats chased it away!!! Them damn noisy motors!!!!! It was an awesome expiernce I will never forget! I got some underwater footage with my gopro while it was checking me out, but I had to keep my distance since I know that they like to scratch there backs on the bottom of the boats. I didn't want to be a back scratcher for a fish this size!!!
Shortly after it left I hooked and landed a 31# bull mahimahi! I gotta say it was an awesome week and a great Xmas gift!

Happy holidays and tight lines brothers!
Aloha, KG

http://youtu.be/fhxpzKifc9s
Old 01-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #28
Kau grown

Aloha brothers, I hope everyone had a fun and safe holiday break. Finally had some time to edit my video of the 115 pound ahi (yellow fin tuna) I caught a couple weeks ago!!!! Ended 2012 with a BANG!!!!!! This is how we do it here in Hawaii, mahalo for watching and enjoy!

Happy new year everyone!
Aloha, KG

http://youtu.be/fU8LbHtAYc8
Old 01-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #29
dbarnett66
Danodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kau grown View Post
Aloha brothers, I hope everyone had a fun and safe holiday break. Finally had some time to edit my video of the 115 pound ahi (yellow fin tuna) I caught a couple weeks ago!!!! Ended 2012 with a BANG!!!!!! This is how we do it here in Hawaii, mahalo for watching and enjoy!

Happy new year everyone!
Aloha, KG

http://youtu.be/fU8LbHtAYc8

I just watched this with my 7 year old three times. Awesome!
dbarnett66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #30
JKay
Junior

Great videos!! I spent 4 years on the Kona side of the Big Island many years ago. Wish I would have been into kayak fishing back then. I never would have left. Which side of the island do you normally fish? Mahalo for the videos bro.
JKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #31
Kau grown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKay View Post
Great videos!! I spent 4 years on the Kona side of the Big Island many years ago. Wish I would have been into kayak fishing back then. I never would have left. Which side of the island do you normally fish? Mahalo for the videos bro.
Mahalo!!! I go from the Kona and south side.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #32
RGB

Great videos keep em comin!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #33
ful-rac
Emperor

WOW!!! You are a tough crazy mofo! Awsome! Thats tough enough to do on a boat...you are DA MAN!
Old 01-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #34
GregAndrew

Ridiculously Awesome! Great group of videos there.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #35
Kau grown

Thanks guys!!!! I got to get out today, first day of 2013 and landed a 39# wahoo and lost a bigger one to a damn tiger shark!!!! Really bummed out that the shark had to grab the bigger one of the two but at least I came in with one.

Aloha, KG
Old 02-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #36
Kau grown

Aloha, here's a new vid from a trip in January, I haven't had time to do editing lately, I have tons of new epic footage to work on this week and will try to bang out a few this weekend for everyone to see the action here in Hawaii.

Mahalo for watching, tight lines and safe fishing brothers!!!

KG

http://youtu.be/T9Af5R6HfrI
Old 02-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #37
GregAndrew

Killer as usual. You need to get somebody to change the words on "Gangster Paradise" to "Pelagic Paridise".
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #38
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Incredible! Keep em coming!
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #39
outdoorzen

Sweet vids KG, thanks for sharing!
outdoorzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #40
fishingfiend

RESPECT! Wahoo is just incredible from a kayak, but the 115# Ahi is out of control.
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote