Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

Dana Pipe location?

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking quite a while and finally was able to register ( tried a while back but had trouble ) Been kayak fishing for about two years, mostly NPH and a few trips out of Dana to the Headlands and La Jolla.

I wanna get into some bass! And from reading reports, it seems like the Pipe in DP is the place to go.

Couple questions- I know I can launch at Mothers Beach, where is a closer launch? I'm willing to pay $10 or so for less paddling.

Also I've read some explanations of how to get to the Pipe, but haven't actually been there. Does anybody have a google map marked w/ directions? if anybody is going out to the pipe PM me, I'd love to come out and rail some bass! I want to try to go out this Saturday or Sunday possibly.

Andrew
andrewtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
GregAndrew

You can park at the boat launch for $10. Must have the right change in cash to feed the machine. Much closer to the harbor entrance and the washdowns are free (just bring your own hose). Third left after leaving PCH will get you in. The pipe is just a little south of the harbor opening and extends almost directly west out towards the Barber Poles (The sailing pencil buoys painted in stripes). Much of the run is marked by kelp stringers and lobster/crab pot floats.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
DanaPT

Now I'm confused. . .

The pipe or the headlands?

HMMM? I'm going out at 0 dark 30 on 8/25.

Maybe I'll see you out there.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
Vikingj

The pipe is hard to find until Lobster season opens in Oct. and then it is well marked with buoys. Several of us fish the pipe almost every Tues. all year from about 8-12AM. We catch mostly bass with an occasional halibut, wsb, or thresher shark. Come and join us if you are available.
Wayne

Last edited by Vikingj; 08-24-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: added sentence
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
PapaDave

I will be out at DP this weekend, maybe Saturday and definatley Sunday. Usually launch around 6am or so. I would be happy to show you around a bit, I have a few locations on the pipe marked. And I am thinking of heading out to the Barber poles for some deeper water fishing one of those days. The boat launch area/ramp is right near the harbor entrance and the bait barge, a quick trip out to the fishing grounds, that would be my recommendation.

The area around the harbor can get real busy on weekends due to all the boats, and the resulting wakes can make it rather sloppy, so I generally head out from the entrance on the weekends. You can go south for some nice bass action, west for the pipeline and whatever is lurking around it, or north to the headlands for just about anything.

The Tuesday group is a good bunch of fishermen and can show you a lot more then I if you can get out on that day.

My email is dvcheaney@ca.rr.com, let me know if you wat to meet up sometime.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

Thanks everyone for their replies.

Papa -e-mail sent.

I wish I could go out Tuesdays but have got school, but am finishing up September so I may have to come out then after that.

I mostly fish plastics and love bass fishing, so I'm headed where ever the bite may be! I know where the Headlands is, but want to learn other spots.

I am trying to go out this weekend.

Shoot me an e-mail if you plan on fishing this weekend, atpaguyo82@yahoo.com

Andrew
andrewtp is offline   Reply With Quote