Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2020, 07:23 PM   #1
Hillbillymad

Is pedal drive necessary

I’m about to buy my first kayak and I tried another guys top water pdl while I was trying it I stoped using the pedals and only used the paddle. I was going so slow I feel like I would need pedal just to manage out in lajolla
Hillbillymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
FoodGeekFish

Not *necessary*

Lots of folks fish offshore saltwater in paddle style kayaks. Are pedals convenient? 100%, right up until they fail.

So, more maintenance investment off the water to reduce the risk of on the water failure, in exchange for hands free fishing.
FoodGeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:27 PM   #3
cris

With a peddle system you can follow a hooked fish, cast at fish while moving towards them or hold the rod while you slow troll a live air and feel for bites. Ultimately big fish are caught every day on paddle kayaks though!
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:48 PM   #4
surfshotmoto

I have both. If your fishing get pedal. Paddle is a big pain fishing. Also pedal uses your legs which are much stronger so you can overcome wind and current easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
surfshotmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:26 AM   #5
Mahigeer

Yes and yes.

I am selling my 14' paddle and maybe later my 13' Outback.

I am keeping my 11" Hobie inflatable with pedal.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:36 AM   #6
hiramehunter

just skip to getting a bixpy! Haha
it's a viscous cycle!
paddle > pedal$ > electric $$ > boston whaler$$$ > parker$$$$ > paddle
rinse and repeat!!

Last edited by hiramehunter; 11-06-2020 at 09:30 AM. Reason: typo
hiramehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:46 AM   #7
skrilla

Solo Skiff
Old 11-06-2020, 12:52 PM   #8
FullFlavorPike

Order a Malibu Express and get a good paddle and seat and you'll be the swiftest thing on the water lol.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:32 PM   #9
surfshotmoto

I have a Newport Bessel 36 LB trolling motor with 80 amp/hr lithium ion battery. Works great for LaJolla. You get the pedal and the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
surfshotmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:50 PM   #10
the dude

my favorite kayak ever (and I've owned a few) was a wilderness systems 16. Paired with a carbon fiber paddle the thing was a rocket. I could glide over the kelp beds without worrying about getting my drive stuck. I also had a hobie outback. The pedals are nice, but I'd take that WS16 over anything. Loved it.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:44 PM   #11
FISH11

Talking Paddle or Pedal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrilla View Post
Solo Skiff
X2, save time and money just order one now. After you see us out there moving from spot to spot or distant bird action in a couple of minutes instead of 20 minutes, you'll know why. I have owned both and caught more Yellowtail on my paddle kayaks then on my 2016 Hobie Revo 13. Every time I use my Solo Skiff, I get more impressed at it's ability in surf launching and landing, rough water, wind, current and stability. Neither paddle or pedals can even come close to the power of the 6 hp outboard while using about $2 of gas in 6-8 hours in La Jolla. I think I've launched at La Jolla about 12 times since July 23rd. The Solo Skiff isn't just a game changer, it's on another planet! Here's a couple picts, 1st is at the La Jolla Shores launch and the 2nd a Yellowtail release.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOLO SKIFF 1st SURF LAUNCH at La Jolla 7-24-2020_Moment(1).jpg (28.7 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg GOPR1009_Moment(3).jpg (35.9 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by FISH11; 11-06-2020 at 11:00 PM. Reason: add picts
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:01 AM   #12
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
X2, save time and money just order one now. After you see us out there moving from spot to spot or distant bird action in a couple of minutes instead of 20 minutes, you'll know why. I have owned both and caught more Yellowtail on my paddle kayaks then on my 2016 Hobie Revo 13. Every time I use my Solo Skiff, I get more impressed at it's ability in surf launching and landing, rough water, wind, current and stability. Neither paddle or pedals can even come close to the power of the 6 hp outboard while using about $2 of gas in 6-8 hours in La Jolla. I think I've launched at La Jolla about 12 times since July 23rd. The Solo Skiff isn't just a game changer, it's on another planet! Here's a couple picts, 1st is at the La Jolla Shores launch and the 2nd a Yellowtail release.
Of course its on another level its not a yak. Just like going from a bicycle to a car and being impressed by how far you can go in a day. solo skiff = jetski fisher.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:12 AM   #13
Mahigeer

How much that unit weigh?

How do you transport it?

Not on a roof I would guess.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:46 AM   #14
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillymad View Post
IÂ’m about to buy my first kayak and I tried another guys top water pdl while I was trying it I stoped using the pedals and only used the paddle. I was going so slow I feel like I would need pedal just to manage out in lajolla
Lets drop some lj real experience from a paddler turned peddler.
Reasons I switched to Peddle.
1. Size of boat and thrust required.
I am a bigger guy reasonable shape 220-240 over the last few years and with that to get a good comfortable seat and fit all the gear, bait tank, extra rods etc I was looking at a large yak. Large yaks do not traditionally paddle well and at testing in waves and wind "Floundering" was the best way to put how I felt against elements in a paddle yak, paddling in weather took 90% of my energy and effort. Left nothing for fishing and left me wore out and limited my range.
Bottom line Legs are huge efficient muscles compared to arms and you will get 2-3x the range.

2. LJ Currents.
In my old paddle yak I found myself being pushed off spots. I would mark good fish that I would want to drop to but proper presentation was very difficult fighting just a 1mph current and a little wind was enough to make you move on frustrated.
I also found myself pinned against the south preserve on several occasions and had to end the day with a miserable 3mile paddle against heavy current and NW winds, watched peddlers fly by no issues....ugh.

3. Bay currents.
See above multiply x3.

4. Boat positioning.
Critical factor in fishing structure. I can stay on the structure 100% peddle,
Paddle im drifting off or my paddles in my hands not my rod.
To hit my zones and tend poles in bays and LJ I would have to anchor with the paddle yak, peddles allow me to be in control of rods in the zone and control the craft for big bay wakes.

5. BAD Weather Fishing
IT SUCKS DONT DO IT.
If you do keeping the bow into the waves or on your desired course is key and in big white caps for safety and stability. This is the only area that paddle and peddle are even in my book I like paddling super rough weather because I can use the paddle to help stay upright, but with the peddle I end up in less of those situations that I feel uneasy in. After fishing Michigan and Texas, our weather here is truly blessed.

6. My back and shoulders.
Peddle

Paddle
Barely move after a 6 hour trip.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:37 AM   #15
Pocoloco

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiramehunter View Post
just skip to getting a bixpy! Haha
it's a viscous cycle!
paddle > pedal$ > electric $$ > boston whaler$$$ > parker$$$$ > paddle
rinse and repeat!!
been there done that
Pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:39 AM   #16
FISH11

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
Of course its on another level its not a yak. Just like going from a bicycle to a car and being impressed by how far you can go in a day. solo skiff = jetski fisher.
Having fished for years at La Jolla using paddle and pedal kayaks, I have to disagree about how easy it is on a drive kayak to stay in place. That is more dependant on the type of current and wind. If you move, in a pedal kayak it takes longer to get back in place because of the wide turning radius, unless you use your paddle. Hands free is only part of the time, the rest of the time you are constantly having to make rudder corrections. Getting tired (arms, shoulders) is not too much different then with pedals. If you don't use it once a week or more you won't be in the shape needed for a day of fishing at any real distance. Even on my Hobie Revo if you don't go out for a few weeks, it's best to pace yourself so as not to strain any muscles that could make it even harder to get back to the launch. Being at the southern La Jolla MLPA and having to get back to the shores is a task on either if there is a strong current and wind. I have had to do it multiple time on both. When you look at the FF and the GPS is telling you that you are going into the current and wind and depending on strength the speed is .5-1.1 mph and there is over 3 miles to go, you can't troll or fish. If you catch even a Calico you will loose the distance it took you 15-20 minutes to cover. Without heavy current or head wind I could paddle at 2.5-3.2 mph for a constant speed, on the Hobie it was only .2 mph faster, that is not top speed, but top speed is impossible to keep up for more than a few minutes. When covering that distance in those conditions, it SUCKS on either type of Kayak. The Solo has no problem with either and can often go full speed and get back in 20 minutes instead of hours of constant paddling or pedalling. More and more guys are putting some kind of electric motor on kayaks to save some energy, but the speed is the same or less then under their own power. The hulls don't have the design to let them go too much faster safely. BOTTOM LINE: (and it's been debated here on BWE many, many times) THE SOLO SKIFF IS AS MUCH A KAYAK AS A HOBIE PA! I know that will ruffle some feathers. I'm not saying they are bad, just pointing to advantages that the outboard and the Solo's hull design have. At my age after 7 years of kayaking I want to cover water that used to be out of reach, spend more time fishing, finding bait quicker and most of all not having to wear myself out fighting the elements. In the end It makes it easier to have a great time every time. Relaxing and de-stressing is one of the main reasons I do this in the first place. ALSO what needs to be said is every one has a budget and not everyone can spend 2k or 5k. Get what you can afford and allow for a good FF, that means spending more than $300 on a FF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
How much that unit weigh?

How do you transport it?

Not on a roof I would guess.
Weight: The Solo's hull is 150 lbs, that only 10 lbs more than a PA14 without the engine. The Tohatsu/Mercury (they are all Tohatsu) outboard is 57 lbs and can very easily be removed for transport if needed. I leave mine on.

Transportation: Like a lot of guys with different kayaks, I carry it on the bed of my Ram 1500 using a bed extender. I made a 5' 2 piece ABS pipe ramp to the bed extender and use a hand crank strap winch to pull it up and into the bed. Same as you have on a boat trailer, $27. That saves me having to do any heavy lifting. It take less time to load than it took to remove items and lift any of my kayaks on top of my truck bed rack. If I need to use my travel trailer I remove the outboard and put the Solo on top of the bed rack. No different than all the guys that have to carry their PA's on a truck rack.

Roof Mount: On a car I have seen all sort of Kayaks and combinations loaded. Roof racks on cars are usually rated for 150 lbs Some you know just aren't safe. It's not the weight on the roof rack. It's the forces of the weight wanting to continue it's course while the driver is trying to stop, turn, or accelerate. I have seen Pa 14s on the roof of small cars, but would never recommend that as being good. I choose not to use a trailer because of speed limits and hassle in finding Parking (especially at La Jolla)

Price: The Solo Skiff and the Tohatsu outboard together is less $ than a PA14, Pa12, and just a little over the Outback.

Last edited by FISH11; 11-07-2020 at 10:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-07-2020, 03:40 PM   #17
hiramehunter

For solo skiff owners, have you used them to hoop net with? And how do you add accessories? Can you add a rail system?
Old 11-07-2020, 07:48 PM   #18
FISH11

You can see some pictures and comments from Nick (NICKWORN) on this General Kayak fishing discussions page go to SOLO SKIFF PROGRESS thread half way down the page and go to page 10. Yeah his post started the longest running thread about the Solo Skiff and has had over 19k views (crazy)

Last edited by FISH11; 11-08-2020 at 11:29 AM. Reason: change views count, it's at almost 20k now.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:35 AM   #19
Mahigeer

Thanks for the information.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:38 AM   #20
hiramehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
You can see some pictures and comments from Nick (NICKWORN) on this General Kayak fishing discussions page go to SOLO SKIFF PROGRESS thread half way down the page and go to page 10. Yeah his post started the longest running thread about the Solo Skiff and has had over 15k views (crazy)
thanks!