Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-09-2020, 04:06 PM   #201
FISH11

Those are some nice big bugs, congrats.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:05 PM   #202
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
Mark, I like that cart.

At first, I thought you had a cart for the launch ramp which will shred your solo.

How are you dealing with the launch ramp road rash?
I never drag any of my kayaks or the Solo Skiff across that concrete ramp with those diagonal groves and rough textures, it's like running your palm on a cheese grader. On ramps offloading is not a problem bow will float and I can ease the rear down into the water while sliding it down, for loading I use the same 2 piece ABS pipe ramp, I use at the Shores beach launch. It is actually easier at the beach because there is no boat wakes to deal with when aligning the Solo Skiff with the two ABS pipes. Then I use a strap hand crank winch to pull it up the ramp and into the truck bed. Here's a picture from a video clip taken on Thursday the 8th. Took out my dog to get her more used to the open water in the Solo Skiff. If she continues to like going out I will take her out sometimes to La Jolla when the surf forecast says it's going to be a lake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GH010045_Moment (2).jpg (66.0 KB, 257 views)

Last edited by FISH11; 10-09-2020 at 09:34 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:28 PM   #203
FISH11

SOLO SKIFF in rough open water

Today I went out and launched my Solo Skiff at La Jolla and after making bait started trolling a live mac south. After getting down 3/4 of the way to the South La Jolla MLPA, the wind picks up and keeps getting stronger. It was blowing harder than the forecast had for a small window of higher wind gusts. Long story short, is that as can often be the case, the forecast was off. It got real nasty and provably as bad as I had been in one of my kayaks. The huge difference is I was dry and other than consistent rocking, I had no problem either drifting or trolling at engine idle. If I had decided to wear my waders and waterproof jacket, I could even have cut through most of the chop at even higher speed. The temperature drop in air and water didn't help the fishing and made it a little cold while only wearing my board shorts and sweatshirt. The sun being out helped. It was a blast getting airborne so often when going through the larger chop and swells. Best of all, I wasn't even tired when I landed, was still dry and running around La Jolla for 5-6 hours uses $2.05 of regular gas. The SOLO IS A STUD!............................................. ........... This is a 60 second video of highlights from some of the rough water crossing.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:06 AM   #204
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Saw your skiff on the beach but missed ya. The swell was super bad! 4' easy. Almost capsized at 80', had not seen it that bad in a long time. Managed a limit of goats though... Hopefully the weather forecast is more accurate next time! Cheers!
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:05 AM   #205
FISH11

Yeah when I was setting up and launched there were around 5 other kayaks I saw. A couple guys were having problems in trying to surf launch. The surf height wasn't bad at 6:45 but the intervals were close. I couldn't believe how high the swells got. Some times when drifting as a tall one would come up, it seemed as if I could reach out and touch the top of the peak just as the Solo floated right up the face of the swell and the swell had gone under the Solo. That was a wild ride that could have been fun if dress in waterproof gear. Congrats on the sheeps limit, that's some nice meals there.

Last edited by FISH11; 11-13-2020 at 08:37 PM. Reason: spelling typo
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:32 AM   #206
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

I help the guy who had a hard time, it was his first time in LJ. Trying to paddle a large Hobie outis not the best plan, use the pedals!
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:33 PM   #207
FISH11

Yeah, that's what I told him. I was telling him, put your drive in, that his legs have more power than his arms. Told him not to even use the paddle. He fell off twice in front of me, so I had to hold my launch until he was clear. You must have been the guy I saw come over to help him.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:12 PM   #208
FullFlavorPike

Wish I could take my doggo fishing but he's a big stink who jumps in the water to chase whatever's floating, and he would probably try to eat the bait lol.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 02:48 AM   #209
NICKWORN

12/21/2020 Action!!

Had plans to check out a few rocks that produced some decent sized reds a few weeks backs, but figured I’d troll the rapala first, didn’t even bother with bait. Birds were abundant and so was the bait, 7am first YT smashed the rapala, troll around for a bit more for nada, start rock fishing when boils appeared all around me, ended up run n gunning for a bit and landed a second YT on the surface iron in 300’. Decided to go back and get some reds for taco night, wife’s orders!!! Amazing day, so much life out there yesterday, was awesome!

https://youtu.be/5qi4VPnFgxM
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:44 AM   #210
jorluivil

Any videos on a beach landing?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:56 AM   #211
NICKWORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Just the very end there, these were 1’ @13seconds so literally chased the wave and pulled engine up in knee deep and walk her in.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:57 AM   #212
NICKWORN

Beach landing

I’ll post a video next time I go out and include launch and landing.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:31 AM   #213
dorado123

Man That’s every fisherman’s dream catch ! Tow yellows and limited red ... I’m pretty sure your wife gave you big hug
dorado123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:47 AM   #214
ctfphoto

Waiting, waiting, and waiting for Solo to Deliver on my order ......
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:54 AM   #215
NICKWORN

Talking I know the feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
Waiting, waiting, and waiting for Solo to Deliver on my order ......
There supposedly back in production, I believe there is still a few of ya waiting, my buddy Terril is in the same boat.

Check out Socal Solo skiff FB, we gonna plan some 9mile trips, Baja, and NorCal in 2021.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:18 AM   #216
FISH11

Talking

Great video I see you found a software that worked for you. I really, really should have stayed close to you yesterday, instead of spending so much time looking for bait and chatting with Ken on the water. I think you came home with a lot more bounty then the wife was expecting. If I hadn't been listening to music with my ear buds on, I would have heard you calling me on the radio. Next trip I'll be your shadow, ha, ha, ha...Congrats
Old 12-22-2020, 08:22 AM   #217
FISH11

Thumbs up

Love how this thread has over 28K views. Game Changer!
Old 12-22-2020, 08:49 AM   #218
FISH11

LJ Solo Skiff Landing (in small surf)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Hey, Jorge here is a video I posted in on page 9 of this thread of a LJ landing. The surf was small much like yesterday so it doesn't show all the benefits of being able to come in with the power of the motor. When surf is small, you actually need to make sure not to gun the engine too hard, because like on this video you end up almost on the sand and I like to turn the Solo Skiff around to face the surf so as not to get it turned sideways by rest of the incoming surf. I prefer pulling the safety cord to shut the engine and pull it up while still in 2 1/2' of water, slide off and grab the bow handle to allow the following breaker to turn the Solo around before pulling it up further on the sand.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:44 AM   #219
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post
Had plans to check out a few rocks that produced some decent sized reds a few weeks backs, but figured I’d troll the rapala first, didn’t even bother with bait. Birds were abundant and so was the bait, 7am first YT smashed the rapala, troll around for a bit more for nada, start rock fishing when boils appeared all around me, ended up run n gunning for a bit and landed a second YT on the surface iron in 300’. Decided to go back and get some reds for taco night, wife’s orders!!! Amazing day, so much life out there yesterday, was awesome!

https://youtu.be/5qi4VPnFgxM
Nicely done! Congratulations, those tacos have me salivating!
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 06:59 AM   #220
NICKWORN

Talking Sashimi and Roll action

Here’s after I let the YT rest in and Ice Coffin for around 28hours. Copied Chris Blevins approach with the salt (non-iodized) to ensure colder temps are reached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FE0D8514-232F-443D-8A65-DF4153E39069.jpg (94.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg E67274E3-3B4F-402E-B995-BE5CA24D2646.jpg (134.5 KB, 90 views)