Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2015, 11:55 PM   #1
King Saba

Critter fishing at NP 11/21/15

Late report, but a report is better than no report.

Went fishing with my buddy at NP to test out my Elite 4 HDI. I need to figure that thing out. It seems that I need to adjust the ping speed? I think by the time the FF showed me what the bottom contour look like I had already passed the structure. Plus, I have this split screen thing. I don't know.

Anyways, we caught a mixed bag of fish including a sheephead, starry flounder, whitefish, sand dabs, bonita, a sarcastic fringehead, and endless extremely pesky lizardfish.

Used squid strips for the bottom fish and krocs for the top. Water temp ranged from 67-71. Warm!

My first sarcastic fringehead! This slimy mushy sucker had a huge jaw with some serious teeth.

King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:31 AM   #2
Harry Hill

you caught sand dabs in Newport? I need to find where you are catching sand dabs, one of my favorite eating fish. Good report, you got me fired up to get down there again but I'm afraid this weather is going to turn things off for awhile.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:18 AM   #3
onetriphudson

Great post, sounds like a good time.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:33 AM   #4
Goose1993

Is that a blue lightning rod I see?

That thing is a great small fish saltwater rod!
Goose1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #5
TroutBum

Nice report! Thanks!
TroutBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:48 AM   #6
Harry Hill

That fish looks the mudsuckers we use to catch corvina with down at the Salton Sea.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:06 AM   #7
ROSSOLY

Thanks for report and pics☺
ROSSOLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:00 PM   #8
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
you caught sand dabs in Newport? I need to find where you are catching sand dabs, one of my favorite eating fish. Good report, you got me fired up to get down there again but I'm afraid this weather is going to turn things off for awhile.
was out last weekend with a buddy sandaps was at 135foot just outside the mouth.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:05 PM   #9
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
was out last weekend with a buddy sandaps was at 135foot just outside the mouth.
that is great to find out. I have been catching macks and spotties in the harbor but I will head out aways and see if I can pick up some dabs. Thanks for the information.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:14 PM   #10
Raskal311

Quote:
that is great to find out. I have been catching macks and spotties in the harbor but I will head out aways and see if I can pick up some dabs. Thanks for the information.
There was a lot of white fish around too, more then mack that day in my case. We limited out on white fish quickly and also landed a few reds, and couple of nice sheeps head, and sand bass.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:53 PM   #11
kobra

Nice mixed bag Brian.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:04 PM   #12
King Saba

Thanks guys! It was a fun trip.

Quote:
I got them at around the 180ish zone. It was a bit of a relief to catch them as well as they one of my favorite eating fish. Steamed or pan fried they're delish! Yeah, no bueno on the weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose1993 View Post
Is that a blue lightning rod I see?

That thing is a great small fish saltwater rod!
Indeed it is! I got it for 40 bucks at a yard sale. I'm still kicking myself for not buying the other ones the guy had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
There was a lot of white fish around too, more then mack that day in my case. We limited out on white fish quickly and also landed a few reds, and couple of nice sheeps head, and sand bass.
Oh there's a good amount of whitefish at that zone if you're into those. I didn't take any as it's like roulette with them. They'll either be super tasty when you make it or bitter. What makes them so bitter anyways? I heard it's something in their diet. Any tips on finding a rockfish spot around NP? Those were my primary target but no results to show for our efforts.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:25 PM   #13
Harry Hill

How were the sheepshead? The last ones I caught on a party boat we had to throw back because the Captain said they were wormy. I don't know how he knew that without opening one up but we didn't keep any. It's always been a real sweet tasting fish when I have eaten them so I would keep them if they are okay.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:50 PM   #14
King Saba

Quote:
How were the sheepshead? The last ones I caught on a party boat we had to throw back because the Captain said they were wormy. I don't know how he knew that without opening one up but we didn't keep any. It's always been a real sweet tasting fish when I have eaten them so I would keep them if they are okay.
I didn't eat this particular one, but my grandparents did. And, yeah the sheephead I've had in the past is exactly as you describe Harry, sweet.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:51 PM   #15
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Thanks guys! It was a fun trip.

I got them at around the 180ish zone. It was a bit of a relief to catch them as well as they one of my favorite eating fish. Steamed or pan fried they're delish! Yeah, no bueno on the weather.

Indeed it is! I got it for 40 bucks at a yard sale. I'm still kicking myself for not buying the other ones the guy had.

Oh there's a good amount of whitefish at that zone if you're into those. I didn't take any as it's like roulette with them. They'll either be super tasty when you make it or bitter. What makes them so bitter anyways? I heard it's something in their diet. Any tips on finding a rockfish spot around NP? Those were my primary target but no results to show for our efforts.
These were MUCH better the ones a caough at catalina a few weeks back.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:52 PM   #16
Raskal311

Quote:
I got 5 a few weeks back and no worms in any of them.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:33 PM   #17
Harry Hill

I always thought cooking would kill the worms so if you are making sushi I think you need to freeze if first but if they are cooked you shouldn't even notice the worms. I've seen guys throw away striped bass because they had leaches in their mouths so some people seem to worry to much. Unless the worms are really noticable I don't think I would worry to much. Of course I could be wrong, I was once before but I divorced her and fixed that problem. I think I need to carry a chart of minimum sizes so I don't keep the wrong sized fish.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:40 AM   #18
wolfman
Wolfman

fishing regs.

Check out the free app. Fish Alerts for regulations, MPA's and weather
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #19
Orca Winfrey

What app is that wolf man?
Great trip Saba! Thanks for the use of your FF. It did put us on the fish. We'll have to catch som red colored ones next time.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #20
cell128
lizard king

Quote:
Damn that sucks. I've heard a few times that cattle boats don't like sheepshead because they're tough to filet.
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote