Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
sdcoastie
Junior

First timer - Mission Bay 5/12/15

First time out on a kayak. Picked up a Stealth 9 Kayak yesterday at OEX Mission Bay. Hit up Mission Bay for a couple hours this afternoon. Pretty stoked, I ended up with 5 SBB all around the 12" mark. One on the Big Hammer swimbait, the rest on a 1/2 oz Reebs Spinner (Bleeding Illusion). Much more productive than my shore fishing excursions lately!

I look forward to meeting you all on the water one day.

One tip for other noobies: Don't forget the sunscreen!! My upper body is fine but my legs got toasty!
Attached Images

sdcoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:50 PM   #2
mpc

Awesome! Good for you. My first time out I got skunked, except for catching some bait fish.
mpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:01 PM   #3
sdcoastie
Junior

Thanks. Wanted to get some fish on my line first time out. So launched from the beach next to OEX and just fished the eel grass around there. I'm sure my patience will be tested when I head down to Carlsbad Lagoon.

sdcoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #4
FISH11

Congrats on the new yak. Those areas were the eel grass grows are some of the better areas to find spotties.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:28 PM   #5
King Saba

Nice job. How do you like your new Stealth? I toyed around with the idea of getting one before.

Compression pants are helpful if you are lazy about the sunscreen.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #6
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

Welcome to the Addiction !!! I was out on MB last night with one of my college roomates (who live in Chicago) He caught his first kayak fish and his first saltwater fish! MB is such a great resource to have!! Enjoy it, explore it and share it with others.

As far as sunscreen goes be careful to not get it on your hands or baits, scent is very important to spotties and sunscreen can really put them off. I either wear lightweight sun pants or spray on sunscreen before i get on the water and wash my hands a bunch before i touch my baits.

I'm out on MB quite a bit, if you see a big dude standing on a crazy looking SUP come over and say hi! I'm always looking for people to fish with!

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote