Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
Kahouna

Need a change and some help

I've been out to LJ for a few weeks with no love. I know I need to keep after it to learn the ropes, but I need to try something/somewhere else. I have been thinking of launching out of Oceanside harbor and heading towards the pier. I remember reading somewhere that there is a good shot at butts in that area? I also heard there is some kind of structure out there too. I looked at a couple maps that showed them, but are they marked, or do you just trust your depthfinder?

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the information you've provided to this noob so far.
Kahouna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
kobra

Out of oceanside harbor there is the artificial reefs 1 and 2. You can also make the trek south to bucaneer pipe. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...YnWbhQ02rOl00Q
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
kobra

Not exactly what I was trying to do but this info should help. A good gps is a must when it's not lobster season. Each rock pile is about 30 feet square (roughly).
Old 08-31-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
Kahouna

Thanks kobra! I see that they are a ways out. I'm not sure if I'm up for that kind of paddle yet. And I'm without GPS. I am thinking about going in the next couple days, so I might just putz around in the harbor. I have access to Red Beach (when available), but those are some impressive waves. I have San Onofre access too and I think there is a sweet spot a yak could make it out. I just stare at the kelp out there and know somebody is beggin' to nibble on my line. Just a long drive for me to get the yak to the water, stare at the waves, grow feathers and run east.
Kahouna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
kobra

The outside rocks are about 2 to 3 miles depending on which ones you fish and buc pipe is about 3 1/4 miles south. But you do need a gps to find them when lobster season is over. Good luck to you.