Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
Bpcode3
Angler

Cabrillo 4/17/09

Meet up with a buddy and headed over to launch from the boat ramps, only to find the whole parking lot blocked off for beach construction. Launched from the ramps at about 0730, and paddled out to the barge to grab some bait.

Good mix bag of Sardines/Chovies. Paddle out a little farther and started to fish the kelp line. Had some good readings on the FF, so I dropper looped a nice sardine and left it as a dead stick so I could outfit my other pole. Not even a min. into outfitting my rig, got a nice little hit. Not a legal, but it had some fight in it, little over 18".

(Did notice little organisms under the skin of fish movin around, heard about worms never seen them before this, egghhh)
Ended up drifting for a good 2-3 hrs with lots of bites. Ended up with 5-6 more shorties, ranging from 11-16"

and a 46" shovel nose shark (talk about power, sucker had some speedy little fins on him, especially on 8lbs test). Had to end the day by about 1pm due to my buddy flipping his yak and loosing all his gear over by the docks, got too close, went to push off the dock with his paddle, and over he went, Bummer. Found out he lost everything from the top of his yak, 3 poles, tackle box, you name it. So, after 15-20 min of whimpering, we started paddling back to the ramp, my buddy noticed he was dragging some line, ended up pulling up all 3 poles, tackle box and net ( All intertwined) Lucky Bastard, Only thing he ended up loosing was a couple of weights. Ended the day with 7 shorties and 1 shovel nose shark, all fished released to fight another day. My buddy wasn't so lucky, Flipped his yak, lost some weights, got SKUNKED, and had to paddle back sopping wet. Picture says a 1000 words.

Great Day either way, I still had a blast
Bpcode3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
forefrazier

Hopefully he can laugh about it later....That photo is classic. ....

Kind of looks like this:

Nice report and good job on the flatties!
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:21 PM   #3
newguy01

he still lucky in my book

flip over, toss everything in the water! then at the end of the day hes still get all back most of it? except for a couple of weight and get a good practice on how to get back on the yak all in all still a good day in the water going out to LJ tomm at dark30 will be on blue trident
newguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
fishchaser25

great job. its only a madder of time before that 40# butt takes you for a ride. Thanks for the report.