Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-16-2022, 10:21 PM   #1
FISH11

La Jolla 6-16-2022 on the Solo Skiff

Another trip to La Jolla in search of the Yellowtail. For months the signs, bait variety, water temp and clarity and FF great marks have been saying that the Yellowtail and other large species bite should have been on. Instead it's the Calico Bass the are going nuts. Usually, in years past, I've caught many under sized and few large ones. This last year has been almost the opposite, many large and few undersized. The thing is I tend to mainly target Yellowtail and it make it hard to cover some areas, without getting hammered by Calicos. Many love targeting Calicos and so I'm sure they're happy, for me, it makes it harder to cover some areas, without Calicos taking my flylined mac. Years ago it was the sea lions I would bitch at, for steeling my bait. Now it's becoming the Calicos. Ha ha....

Old 06-18-2022, 05:41 PM   #2
Oolie
Headshots Only

Any desire to try vertical jigging? I can walk you through the basics to get you to find more target species.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:16 AM   #3
FISH11

Yes, I do use Jigs both vertical and some I cast. That is on top of having a live Greenback swimming around. It has been very surprising to not have had luck when dropping and vertical fishing a jig on some bait balls that had many individual fish marks. I almost 9 year of fishing LJ, the last 3 1/2 have been slow, but this last year is way worse. I used to release at least 1/2 of the Yellowtail that I caught ( under 25 lbs Yellowtail). Now I only wish, I had that choice to make.
Old 06-19-2022, 05:49 PM   #4
Nobody

Thanks for the report.

A little late to post but I know it has been tough out at our LJ sanctuary with the weird change in water temps, tidal currents and most of all algae bloom. The yellows are there and in big numbers but they're really skiddish and weary (possibly because of recent spawn). It might take a couple more hot weather weeks to get that water temp up to make them want to act aggressively as they normally do.

Don't be afraid of aiming towards the 150-220 depths. Have caught them down deep on the dropper loop where they peck at it a few times before commiting.
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:25 PM   #5
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oolie View Post
Any desire to try vertical jigging? I can walk you through the basics to get you to find more target species.
I was thinking the same, but Mark is a veteran to the area. Still, it surprises me that he has not connected yet. Always good to see you out there Mark. Thanks for the report.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote