Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-22-2020, 06:09 PM   #21
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Lost what would have been a personal best fumbling with second line. Had him at color. Estimated to be 45-50 lb. I’m done running 2 lines.

There will be other bat rays.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:48 PM   #22
TJones

that post was an inside joke to another user

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
There will be other bat rays.
who was right next to me.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:34 PM   #23
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Lost what would have been a personal best fumbling with second line. Had him at color. Estimated to be 45-50 lb. I’m done running 2 lines.
No fumbling allowed -- Just need to focus on the fish. One line out eliminates the chance for a double hook up and theoretically cuts chances down by 50%. When I am vertical jigging I always have a second line out. Most of the time it is annoying and constantly getting tangled, but that one in ten days when it finds the school of Mahi that I otherwise would have missed makes it worth the annoyances.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:17 PM   #24
TJones

copy that

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
No fumbling allowed -- Just need to focus on the fish. One line out eliminates the chance for a double hook up and theoretically cuts chances down by 50%. When I am vertical jigging I always have a second line out. Most of the time it is annoying and constantly getting tangled, but that one in ten days when it finds the school of Mahi that I otherwise would have missed makes it worth the annoyances.
Loosing a trophy was pretty heart breaking. Guys next to me were probably chuckling. .
Ill keep at it. This last loss may have been due when I tried to back off lever drag and momentarily put slack in line. I was trying to get a few winds on the other leader in water. If the two lines get wrapped, is it a done deal?
Old 06-23-2020, 08:05 PM   #25
FISH11

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
LMFAO I'm dying
Likewise when I first saw it. it's great to have Jorge back in a kayak and participating in the posts on BWE. He always has a funny way of telling stories and the real funny part is that he's telling the truth.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:47 AM   #26
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotpron View Post
I believe the stupid ones just spin in a circle. While the “home guards” bolt for any structure they can find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If one survives the first couple of runs of the fish looking for structure, they all eventually wear out and go into the death circles before making it up to the kayak.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:39 AM   #27
TJones

This is my biggest fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
If one survives the first couple of runs of the fish looking for structure, they all eventually wear out and go into the death circles before making it up to the kayak.
Do you try to get the deep drop rig up completely or just under the surface if I was hooked up on the fly line? Or, is this not gonna be a real issue of him wrapping in the other line?
Old 06-27-2020, 09:42 AM   #28
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Do you try to get the deep drop rig up completely or just under the surface if I was hooked up on the fly line? Or, is this not gonna be a real issue of him wrapping in the other line?
It depends on what type of fish I am fighting. If I am fighting an Amberjack, Grouper, or fish that is going to dive into the structure, I totally ignore all other rigs and focus on getting the fish clear of structure. Once clear of the structure, intermittently reel in other rigs until clear. It's a must to crank up my downrigger before it gets wrapped, or it will get cut off or cut off my fish. Peddling the kayak to keep the other lines behind the kayak helps keep them clear of the fish I am fighting.