Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-09-2021, 09:49 PM   #1
Brian
Junior

Huntington Beach oil derrick

Good day, I want to check out some fishing in the area. I'm thinking of paddling my Outback to the first oil derrick off Huntington. Is this an unwise decision? I'm aware of other nearby spots like PV and south of Newport Harbor, but I'd like to check out closer to home.

Last edited by Brian; 04-14-2021 at 09:42 PM.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:33 AM   #2
JohnMckroidJr

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully, someone on here can provide current information(I lived in SoCal, but now live in Florida). When you first mention the rigs off Huntington Bch, I thought of Edith, Elliot and Eureka. The closest of which is over 7 miles offshore. Then I noticed Emmy and Eva that are less than 2 miles offshore. Definitely worth finding out more info about. Hopefully, someone on here can shed some light, if not try other forums to learn what the closest distance one can fish off the rigs. Good luck.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:18 AM   #3
Saba Slayer

WHY...?

WHY...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully, someone on here can provide current information(I lived in SoCal, but now live in Florida). When you first mention the rigs off Huntington Bch, I thought of Edith, Elliot and Eureka. The closest of which is over 7 miles offshore. Then I noticed Emmy and Eva that are less than 2 miles offshore. Definitely worth finding out more info about. Hopefully, someone on here can shed some light, if not try other forums to learn what the closest distance one can fish off the rigs. Good luck.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:19 AM   #4
AlwaysFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Good day, I'm new to the forum. I'm from HB but lived in Florida for six years where I picked up kayak fishing. Now that I'm back to HB, I want to check out some fishing in the area. I'm thinking of paddling my Outback to the first oil derrick off Huntington. Is this an unwise decision? I'm aware of other nearby spots like PV and south of Newport Harbor, but I thought I'd check out closer to home first. Hopefully this is the right area to post this.
Welcome back to SoCal Brian. Lost Horizon Fishing (Dan) goes out to the oil rig all the time. He beach launch out of Bolsa Chica I believe. Check out his YT channel.

-Quang
AlwaysFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:12 AM   #5
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFishing View Post
Welcome back to SoCal Brian. Lost Horizon Fishing (Dan) goes out to the oil rig all the time. He beach launch out of Bolsa Chica I believe. Check out his YT channel.

-Quang
Nice link Quang, Dan has some productive fishing videos around those rigs.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:39 AM   #6
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
WHY...?
Why not help a fellow kayaker?
Why not find out more information regarding fishing around the rigs?
Why does this seem like a follow-up to our banter on a previous post?

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=36217

If you have a problem with my comments, let's take the banter off the forum. You can email me directly and we can resolve this privately. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2021, 04:43 PM   #7
Brian
Junior

Thank you all for the direction!
Old 04-12-2021, 03:45 PM   #8
ajcm648

I went out a few weeks ago. Launched out off of 69th across from Ballast point. Lot of activity on the fish finder but started to freak myself out with all the seals swimming around so heading back and fished the harbor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37A9B0D8-4BF0-406E-B7CE-8F65C034C5B1.jpg (67.2 KB, 189 views)
ajcm648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:48 PM   #9
Brian
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcm648 View Post
I went out a few weeks ago. Launched out off of 69th across from Ballast point. Lot of activity on the fish finder but started to freak myself out with all the seals swimming around so heading back and fished the harbor.
Sounds like an interesting day out there. Definitely understand the seal situation. It gets sort of hectic when you they won't leave you alone and you're, well, alone.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:07 PM   #10
MurdaJ
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Good day, I want to check out some fishing in the area. I'm thinking of paddling my Outback to the first oil derrick off Huntington. Is this an unwise decision? I'm aware of other nearby spots like PV and south of Newport Harbor, but I'd like to check out closer to home.
I've fished the closest two in my 14 ft aluminum. Lots of bass, too much current for me to plan a trip on my revo.

It's a conundrum. Lots of current equals fired up fish, but it was semi sketch with a 15 hp 2 stroke imo
MurdaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:31 AM   #11
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcm648 View Post
Whats the deal with leaving alamitos bay in a kayak? is it permitted or do you need to be motorized? I was under the impression that one of the harbors in the area would not allow non-motorized vessels use the inlet to pass in/out but I dont remember which one it is
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:55 AM   #12
Mski
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
Whats the deal with leaving alamitos bay in a kayak? is it permitted or do you need to be motorized? I was under the impression that one of the harbors in the area would not allow non-motorized vessels use the inlet to pass in/out but I dont remember which one it is
Not sure about Los Alamitos but Anaheim Bay (controlled by the Naval Weapons Station) is still closed to kayakers, even if motorized I heard. Was hoping they would allow use by kayaks after they reconfigured the civilian channel but no for now. Have heard they might reconsider once they finish the project by building the munitions pier. I’m sure Andy at OEX will have the latest info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FAFF110D-0784-43D3-8104-7435C4427CF8.jpg (83.2 KB, 49 views)
Mski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:41 PM   #13
tak100
Recruit

Kayaks can use the channel in Los Alamitos bay channel. I see quite a few people that actually fish the channel but I just used it to get to the break wall or oil islands.

I was never hassled.

You do have to watch the boat traffic especially later in the day on weekends.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote