Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-25-2020, 05:08 PM   #1
Jonesdds
Junior

First Kayak, need an education

Your message board is the first IÂ’ve registered for, IÂ’m in the market for my first fishing kayak. Seems this is a very west coast based board, which is helpful but may also not give all info I need. Hopefully, IÂ’m wrong, but if not suggestions much appreciated.

I live 40:60 Park City UT: Santa Barbara CA. The kayak is going to spend March- September in UT, maybe all the time. But, I will probably have years itÂ’s brought home to SB.

IÂ’m an avid fly fisherman and thereÂ’s a number of lakes(maybe Green River B section when conditions permit) I would find a kayak to be a great option in UT, WY, etc.. I donÂ’t love tube fishing and some of lakes IÂ’d frequent would benefit from increased water coverage and ability to get home in windy conditions.

IÂ’ve narrowed to Jackson Kayak Mayfly(great setup for fly fishing), native Watercraft propel slayer 10.6(light), Pescador pilot 12.5 ft or OldTown Sportsman 10.6. First has no pedals but very well thought out for fly fishing. But, I like the idea of pedals to stabilize my position more quickly. ItÂ’s going to be fly fishing almost exclusively and while I might do some calm water ocean fishing 80%+ freshwater.

One of the benefits of the Mayfly is its built for fly fishing and the floor is very open for fly line. One of the issues with it is I see the benefits of hands free movement and stabilization with pedals, not an option with it. But thereÂ’s the issue with line,pedal entanglement. Heaviest kayak is the mayfly of my choices, so getting on my lifted Jeep(4-5 inches above stock) is also a concern. Maybe 60-90 lbs range doesnÂ’t make too much difference but some of the easier loading options, Hullvater and the Yakima option have 70 and 80 lb limits so might make the difference.

Love to hear opinions on this and sorry for the length.
Jonesdds is offline   Reply With Quote