Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2011, 05:43 AM   #1
fearnofish

1st time fishin California waters

Headed over to Cali from AZ this weekend to break my cherry. Can't wait! Gonna do the Islander trip.

Have fished the east cape on multiple occasions and San Carlos as well but am definately "green" when it comes to the salt. Any info at all would be appreciated. I have been lurking the site and gathering as much intel as I can. I am geared up with surface and Yoyo Irons, waxwings, and some rapalas. Circle hooks for live bait. Also have plastics/swim baits if the calico's end up being the way to go. My goal fish is a yellowtail but have not seen any reports on them coorperating at the island.

Reading the regs I see I have to buy an 18" net, any other must haves that an out of stater might not think of? I assume I can buy a license at the landing somewhere? I don't want to bring too much crap but don't want to wish I had brought it either. Trying to find a balance. Water temps I assume will be in the high 50's low 60's? How are the currents out there?

Yea I know I am green!

Thanks all, Andrew
fearnofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
Headed over to Cali from AZ this weekend to break my cherry. Can't wait! Gonna do the Islander trip.

Have fished the east cape on multiple occasions and San Carlos as well but am definately "green" when it comes to the salt. Any info at all would be appreciated. I have been lurking the site and gathering as much intel as I can. I am geared up with surface and Yoyo Irons, waxwings, and some rapalas. Circle hooks for live bait. Also have plastics/swim baits if the calico's end up being the way to go. My goal fish is a yellowtail but have not seen any reports on them coorperating at the island.

Reading the regs I see I have to buy an 18" net, any other must haves that an out of stater might not think of? I assume I can buy a license at the landing somewhere? I don't want to bring too much crap but don't want to wish I had brought it either. Trying to find a balance. Water temps I assume will be in the high 50's low 60's? How are the currents out there?

Yea I know I am green!

Thanks all, Andrew
Might be easier to buy your license online ahead of time.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/ols/

Water temp (per online) states appx 63, not sure I believe it.

18" net, hmmm ... I'm not going to say "don't get one", but there isn't one on my Yak.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
surfnutnj

water temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Might be easier to buy your license online ahead of time.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/ols/

Water temp (per online) states appx 63, not sure I believe it.

18" net, hmmm ... I'm not going to say "don't get one", but there isn't one on my Yak.

Surfed this morning and the water was definitely in the 60's 63 sounds about right warmed up quite a bit.
surfnutnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
fearnofish

Regor, thanks for the reply, lisence is printed. You are not the first one to say that about the net...

surfnutnj, thanks for the confirm on the temp. "warming up" you say... We're lucky to get our beer that cold in AZ

Definately ready to get out of this heat and fish! Really lookin forward to it. Thanks again for the replies.

Andrew
fearnofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
Regor, thanks for the reply, lisence is printed. You are not the first one to say that about the net...

surfnutnj, thanks for the confirm on the temp. "warming up" you say... We're lucky to get our beer that cold in AZ

Definately ready to get out of this heat and fish! Really lookin forward to it. Thanks again for the replies.

Andrew
if you need to use a net it ain't big enough to keep anyway...just sayin...
I don't think any of Greg's fishies would fit in a net...lol
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote