Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
ctrujillo

macs for halibut bait

Anyone use macs for haibut bait.
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrujillo View Post
Anyone use macs for haibut bait.
Yes, and they work well.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
GregAndrew

Greenbacks would be about 4th on my list of live baits. Spanish macks (Jacks) would be 3rd.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Greenbacks would be about 4th on my list of live baits. Spanish macks (Jacks) would be 3rd.

What claims 1st and second place?
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
What claims 1st and second place?
Ancient chinese secret

Old 03-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
CorvinaLoca

Greg's bait choices

Haven't u seen all his awesome vids of dragging squirts?
I'm guessing distant no 2 is la sardina.
CorvinaLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
jorluivil

For me

1. Squirts
2. Dines
3. Macs
4. Fresh dead dines

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
GregAndrew

Actually, for plain bait fishing for Halibut (No flasher) Sardines are numero uno and Squid is second. Except where the Squid are, or have recently been, spawning. My most active day with a flasher so far was with dead Sardines too. Sardines have to be 7 inches or bigger, or I will opt for a different bait. Squid has to be live or freshdead, or I will opt for another bait. That is what works for me, but individual results may vary
Old 03-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
I pretty much agree with that.

I'd say dines and chovies tie for first, squid is a close second, Spanish macks, greenbacks close behind, then Jacksmelt then brownbait and lizard fish.

Spanish being jacks are very hardy and live longer. Great large baits for bigger fish when the bites slow.

It all depends what the fish want.

When halibut are aggressively feeding Chovies will out fish Dines. People think Chovies are lame because they are wimps but they must really be candy to halibut because they really do love them. Dines have more flash and swim better, and for slower bites Dines work better because they live longer.

Likewise when halibut are aggressive Greenbacks get eaten better because they are more lively but Spanish get more fish when the bite is slow because they are lively longer.

Squid is kind of a crapshoot. I've seen times when it's all they wanted then times when they would not touch it and only wanted fin bait. Still I've caught my largest halibut on squid.

I love fishing Greenbacks. The fish hit them aggressively, and they are very good for fish in in the 15 to 25 pound range. My gripe is that they almost never take them head first usually almost always grabbing them right in the midsection.

That said if there's a lot of junk fish around I'd rather fish greenbacks then anything. Everything in the world chews on squid or chovies, but only quality fish are going to chase down a lively mackerel.

One other thing I've found is that Sardines and Greenbacks try to stay off the bottom, and often try and swim up making lots of commotion, so they are more visible to the fish. Squid and Spanish on the other hand will sometimes try and lie down on the sand to blend in, so often I do better fishing shorter leaders with Spanish or Squid.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 03-19-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
lamb

I got notin' different to say.

Macs are cool. You won't catch a small one.

For jigz, crocks and megabait. Salas 6xjr too.

Now for draggin' in a bounce ball, that's a whole different game. I am surprised that not a lot of guys on Hobies, Mariners, or whatever leg propelled are bouncing the sand for halibut. It seems it can totally be done, efficiently. Cover some serious sand. It's all about finding them.

Plug for Rick - good stuff

http://www.bestofbiggame.com/BounceballRigs.html
Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
tomahawk

I have never fished a bait bigger than a sardine. Would one of you guys answer the following for fishing a mac:
1) Rod/reel combo and line weight
2) Rigging (dropper loop, slider, bounce ball, etc)
3) Mac size
4) Weight size
5) anything else you think is important
Thanks
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #12
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post
I got notin' different to say.

Macs are cool. You won't catch a small one.

For jigz, crocks and megabait. Salas 6xjr too.

Now for draggin' in a bounce ball, that's a whole different game. I am surprised that not a lot of guys on Hobies, Mariners, or whatever leg propelled are bouncing the sand for halibut. It seems it can totally be done, efficiently. Cover some serious sand. It's all about finding them.

Plug for Rick - good stuff

http://www.bestofbiggame.com/BounceballRigs.html
I've used a Dodger on and off for over a year now on my Outback and let me tell you.....it takes some practice and a whole lot of patience. There are so many factors that can affect the entire setup:

how you release it to the bottom
direction of the current vs. the direction of the kayak
bait size
type of bait
speed
depth
size/weight of lead
etc
etc

Old 03-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #13
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Ole (deckhand trick long forgotten) trick secret of mine...3/4 oz. old "Bomber" bucktail (if you can find any), green or white with strip of Mack or squirt. I hear the " B-52's" work though.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #14
Vikingj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
I pretty much agree with that.

I'd say dines and chovies tie for first, squid is a close second, Spanish macks, greenbacks close behind, then Jacksmelt then brownbait and lizard fish.

Spanish being jacks are very hardy and live longer. Great large baits for bigger fish when the bites slow.

It all depends what the fish want.

When halibut are aggressively feeding Chovies will out fish Dines. People think Chovies are lame because they are wimps but they must really be candy to halibut because they really do love them. Dines have more flash and swim better, and for slower bites Dines work better because they live longer.

Likewise when halibut are aggressive Greenbacks get eaten better because they are more lively but Spanish get more fish when the bite is slow because they are lively longer.

Squid is kind of a crapshoot. I've seen times when it's all they wanted then times when they would not touch it and only wanted fin bait. Still I've caught my largest halibut on squid.

I love fishing Greenbacks. The fish hit them aggressively, and they are very good for fish in in the 15 to 25 pound range. My gripe is that they almost never take them head first usually almost always grabbing them right in the midsection.

That said if there's a lot of junk fish around I'd rather fish greenbacks then anything. Everything in the world chews on squid or chovies, but only quality fish are going to chase down a lively mackerel.

One other thing I've found is that Sardines and Greenbacks try to stay off the bottom, and often try and swim up making lots of commotion, so they are more visible to the fish. Squid and Spanish on the other hand will sometimes try and lie down on the sand to blend in, so often I do better fishing shorter leaders with Spanish or Squid.
Fiskadora does a great job here and I agree generally to the above. I would just add that squid & mac baits are variable in results so I would tend to "match the hatch". I like to use macs when I can as it seems to cherry pick the bigger models and discourage the little guys. I have never had good results with smelt or lizardfish even though some (mistakeningly?) believe in them.
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #15
Redeyejedi

noob disclaimer

i have been using macs with not much success, but that is due to lack of frequency, lack of skill and possible location. it is a ton of fun though regardless; making a few macs, toss in bt, head off the kelp with one somewhere behind...
still learning a ton and enjoying it all the way. soon my friends, real soon

yup yup
Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
GregAndrew

I personally don't use Anchovies for the same reason that I don't use small Sardines. I don't want to waste my time on smaller fish. Not to say that both can't catch big fish if you get them by the smaller models. Smelt would actually be above Greenbacks on my list. I have caught a decent number of Halibut on them. But they are best where they are the main baitfish around.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #17
steveooo

2 Words.

Trap. Hook.

steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #18
ctrujillo

Thanks to all your feedback.im going to give the macs a try also thanks for the pics steveoo im definitely going with a trap rig.
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #19
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
2 Words.

Trap. Hook.

Chomp chomp chomp chomp chomp chomp

Old 03-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #20
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
2 Words.

Trap. Hook.

Classic!

Like I said they almost always hit them in the midsection. I use traps with them but I like to run a shorter trap hook rig length to bait ratio then I do with Sardine and a larger treble hook. I then hook the treble in the top of the back behind the dorsal fin.

It's kind of the same way you rig a big Hud if you know that style of fishing.

Like I said Macs will often try to swim up, with that combined with the broken color pattern on the back makes a bigger hook less visible in the back, they last longer then if gut hooked and for some reason the hook up ratio is much better.

Looking at your pics both those fish hit midsection with the back in their mouth, with a large trap hook in the back behind the dorsal you would of had a good chance of hooking both those fish, also the top fish is bigger I'd say easily 15+ if that's a 7 inch mac.

You ever pull up a bait like that drop another mac right back on it's head. I got a 28 at Malibu doing that one day, and missed a even larger one I still keep thinking about right in the same spot a little later. You should of seen the teeth marks on that bait, all a 1/4 or more apart and the V created must of been three inches wide.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote