Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #1
ctrujillo

pa surf landing?

Ok I've seen video of rough landings.i would like to get some input from pa owners on how you surf land.i got some input from another site to turn the bow around and come in backwards on the landing anyone else doing this? I have a pa14 don't know if a 12 is any different in the surf
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
PapaDave

I have a PA14, coming in backwards can work but you need to be patient.

Some use the approach of taking out the drive as they get close to the beach and using the paddle to stabilize on the way in.

I use a more direct, kamakazi approach. I put the pedal bungie on and pedal as fast as I can towards the beach and when it gets shallow I push one pedal all the way forward, or let the bungie do that, which takes the fins up next to the hull and glide in.

Do make sure you have the bungie on though, other wise when you get out of the layak a wave can launch your yak up on the beach and the fins will try to center, which will bend a rod on your fins.

And yes, most people frown on this approach, but it works for me.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
I use a more direct, kamakazi approach. I put the pedal bungie on and pedal as fast as I can towards the beach and when it gets shallow I push one pedal all the way forward, or let the bungie do that, which takes the fins up next to the hull and glide in.

Do make sure you have the bungie on though, other wise when you get out of the layak a wave can launch your yak up on the beach and the fins will try to center, which will bend a rod on your fins.

And yes, most people frown on this approach, but it works for me.
What Papa said. I did this for 2 years on my PA14 and since May of last year on my PA12. IMO, this approach gives me the most control on the way in. That being said, I pretty much only go out when the conditions are good. When I got my first PA in 09' I tried the drive pull-out method and I had mixed success with it. Like Papa said, I pretty much gun it after I have timed the sets, get really close then let the hobie bungee raise the fins, rudder in a few more feet and jump out.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
ctrujillo

Thanks for the repli
es im going to give it a try this weekend
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote