Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-28-2019, 04:14 PM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Deoression

DEPRESSION

Depression Sucks. Sometimes life throws us a few lemons, sometimes in a short time.
I find that the best way for me to handle it to think of Baja, my happy place, or plan a
trip or project. Something to keep my mind off of the sinking feelings. I am tired of
making lemonade. It is just too sour.

Here is my plan to get out of that rut. I know it will work, it will serve a couple purposes.
Pun intended. It will definitely keep my mind on positive things. So hear is what I plan
on doing to void myself of the depression.

I am going to plan a trip that I wanted to do a couple of years ago. I wanted to do an
exploratory trip from Puertocitos to Makoville approximately 35 miles by sea. Originally
I wanted to go from San Felipe to Bahia Los Angles. And maybe that will happen too.

Last year I wanted to fish from from north oh San Felipe to Makoville on an exploratory
for corvina. Due to health problems that did not happen. Now I will plan a human powered
trip from Puertocitos to camp. If I can make that happen I will plan a longer passage.

Human power means I have to pedal, paddle, or row. I might take a small sail for safety
and a small outboard motor. Logistics should be easy enough. A few years ago I built two
CLC Northwester Dorys. One from kit and one from plans. I also built one of their kayaks.
Fun and enjoyable. I sold all three over the years.

I am getting too old to put things off. Today I purchased their kit for a Southwester Dory,
18’10” and with a 62” beam. The kit takes normal people 200-250 hours to build. I still
hope to be walking by November and the first of the year at the worst. Thats 5-6 weeks
for most. Without feet I figure two months at 40 hours per week to finish the build.

I will build it in Makoville. I may or may knot ask for help with the build. Most I should be
able to do myself. Things like turning the hull over I will need help with. The blood, sweat
and tears will make a better man of me and help me rid my mind of negative thoughts.
Depression is a killer and I have so much to live for.

I do not know when the kit will arrive, depends if they have it on hand, this is their busy time
of year. If they have it on hand it will ship next year, if not lead time is 3 weeks to make all
the parts for my kit. So it would still be hear early November. I might need help getting all
the parts down to camp.

Considering the build time I would expect the launch to be in March. Leaving the trip from
Puertocitos to Makoville for the April run of corvina. ANYONE interested in a corvina trip, put
it on your calendar for next spring. I will fill in the trip date as the build progresses on the
boat. We would leave from Puertocitos and spend 5-6 days fishing all the way to Makoville.

We would hit the beach in the afternoon to set up camp and fix dinner, trip is down wind
so very easy passage unless we hit bad weather. I can carry enough water for four or five
yakers. Food and cooking and sleeping gear on my boat. Maybe one person on the boat with
me. If interested contact me in the next couple of months.

CLC is Chesapeake Light Craft. And you can check out the kit I got at www.clcboats.com

Yes so today instead of being down in the dumps I am excited and looking FORWARD to the
upcoming projects. I will be using the lemons to make lemonade on this trip.

DEPRESSION BE GONE. Baja will make me sane one Moore time again. Now you know how I
handle the bumps in the road. So what do YOU do to help handle your DEPRESSION? Tell us.

Your story might hekp someone else. Thanks amigos, Tight Lines and VIVA BAJA.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:13 PM   #2
DanaPT

Bob,

We've never met but I feel you. I know depression is real and am glad to hear you are working through it. Keep us posted on your journey and know you aren't traveling alone!

DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #3
walrus

Bob,

I'll help with the bailing when the stormy waters slosh over the gunnels, as you know this is on my bucket list.

The last two years I was planning a trip like this, but, my health failed both years. Right now I'm working my way back out from under the dark clouds. Your post was like a ray of sunshine breaking thru the clouds.

Thanks Brother,
and stay in touch, you know where I'm at.

Ben
Old 10-03-2019, 04:24 PM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
Bob,

I'll help with the bailing when the stormy waters slosh over the gunnels, as you know this is on my bucket list.

The last two years I was planning a trip like this, but, my health failed both years. Right now I'm working my way back out from under the dark clouds. Your post was like a ray of sunshine breaking thru the clouds.

Thanks Brother,
and stay in touch, you know where I'm at.

Ben
Sometimes we sea the clouds, sometimes the sun appears. Today was sunny and brihjt, sea you soon brother. Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote