Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-11-2005, 10:51 AM   #1
madscientist

LJ 8/11 AM

Back for more abuse this morning. Arne was at the launch and gave me some tips. I headed out to troll in deeper water for a change since nothing else is working. Caught a couple of bigger macs, one I stuck out on the flyline. Out from the hotel the fish finder shows lots of action on the bottom. Curious, I drop the megabait. Bang, big red rockfish, about a pound. Try again and this time its bigger, about 2.5. Drop again and whammo, this one is actually taking drag. Get it to 50ft feet when it gets off. Immediately drop back down and the stupid thing hits the jig again in 100ft. Get it up and its the biggest red I've ever seen (not that I've seen a lot), over 4lb I think. Felt like I was grouper fishing.

Proceeded to limit on nice reds, must have had about a 20lb stringer. Over to the kelp and while I'm filleting the catch the current finally starts moving. Bait all over but nothing bigger seen other than another sea turtle. Headed in when Adi informs me of some action outside. Oh well, too late. Saw psychopup for the first time in a while on the way in. No right kind, but at least I got some fish for the wife.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
vellocity

that's some massive REDs!!!!!!
wowza!

couldn't wake up this morning.. too tired from my tuna trip Wed..
will be down there tomorrowAM..
thanks for the report Brad!

that's some good eating right there!!!!!
i was amazed the other morning(when you got the little T) when i came through the canyon at 240'.. my FF was LIT UP with REDS on theh bottom.. i thought it was a joke.. my megabait pulled up a mini red though, which i'm sure you and Vito saw floating on the paddle out from the pier... didn't know the regs on RED so didn't chance it..
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 12:02 PM   #3
silverbullet
Crusty Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silverbullet
What are the limits on reds any way?

You say you caught them on an iron...like one you would throw for yellows? I've never caught a 'red' they look tasty though, nice catch

Bobby
silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 01:41 PM   #4
Slay Rider

Nice load of fish – that one looks to be as long as your yak is wide – looks like a cow cod.

SR
Old 08-11-2005, 01:52 PM   #5
Drew

Man, unless you've got the world's smallest eXtreme that first fish has gotta be more in the 8# class than 4...he's huge! And don't cow cod have red bars and "spinier" spines? I'm pretty sure those are vermillions
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:59 PM   #6
madscientist

I caught several "normal" sized ones mixed in so I'm pretty sure they are vermillions (or canary, I can't tell the difference based on the DFG info, but I've been told its rare to catch canary) but not cow cod. They are surprisingly light for their size, but that big sucker felt like a ton on the rod. Yeah, I was using the same 2.5oz megabait I throw at YT. They'd hit it before it hit bottom. Also got a bunch of bocaccio, kept one. They swam down well so I felt good releasing them. The fish were spitting up squid, octopus, and some sort of gelatinous crap. I think I was marking squid about 30ft off the bottom in the same general area.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:40 PM   #7
lamb

Brad, we could have traded some meat... I’d love to have some of those reds, just lighting up the grill. Nice catch!

I see what I see - the next yeller you hook will be some serious motherlamb. You're just accumulating the carma.

It seemed lively for us at the "5 palms in the face of that building" spot, about 90 ft. Lots of bait, and some tails hungry for slow trolled dines. All together, we went 5 out of 8. I lost 1 good fish in the bull kelp early in the morning, my buddy lost 2…. All 3 to kelp. Ended up the day with 3 babies, one 15# and one 16#.

Old 08-11-2005, 04:21 PM   #8
skiffman

todays lamb

Brad, those are some very nice reds! You don't see that quality out of L.J. very often. Adi you did well!!! You see, fishing in the skiff is a good way to go!!!. I'll be out tomorrow. Kelvin
Old 08-11-2005, 05:27 PM   #9
madscientist

Adi, looks like my wife's plan has changed and I'll be out tomorrow AM. If you are there, I'll show you mine (new secret spot) if you show me yours . If I can find it again :roll: . I seriously need a big lambtail.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:54 PM   #10
MKNOTT

I CANT GET OVER THE SIZE OF THOSE REDS!!!! I havent seen them like that for a long time. I just went out to the garage and stared at my footwells to imagine what they would look like in my boat. When I first saw the pic I said to myself, " photoshop joke, ha ha Brad". Dude, that is a sweet catch. CONGRATS. MKNOTT

When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea, <O
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
MKNOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 08:24 PM   #11
lamb

Brad...

...I'll take you up on your offer.

Say yellow... :P

1 hefty tail broke my buddy Jasmin's rod today. He was throwing some cheesy Kmart rapala like lure from light bass rod and 30# mono on spinning reel (creative guy). Yellar slammed it... :roll:

The other completely fried the drag on his other reel... Burnin' rubber... :lol: He lost both fish.

We had some laughs today. :lol:

Rock on.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:35 PM   #12
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Adi, nice job on the YT’s!!

You need to get Jasmin a bamboo pole with a string on it. :roll:

Brad, nice grip of vermilion. No points but great eating, and the satisfaction of actually catching a fish.

Fished the afternoon for nada.

Only saw one boil. Dave Easton made a perfect (and quick) cast with the mega bait, no response from the predator.

Beautiful conditions………

Ken

PS is that Drew from the PN crew? Cool 8)
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 07:24 AM   #13
potto

Re: LJ 8/11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist
Proceeded to limit on nice reds, must have had about a 20lb stringer. .
Nice catch on the Reds. The limit is 10. And those are Vermillion! Yummy! Canarys have a smoothe chin and a fork tail with the grey lateral line. Those in the picture are not canarys. I love the taste of Reds, I'll be going for them this weekend.

Always knew La Jolla had reds, but I didn't think they were that big. I would consider it rare to catch a Red that big in La Jolla. Good going. Now save some Reds for the rest of us.
potto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:41 AM   #14
madscientist

Kept 9 vermillion and one bocaccio. Tried the spot again this morning but only got a pair of reds and two bocaccio, one kept. Reds were decent but not the brutes of yesterday.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:08 PM   #15
Aaron&Julie

B-A-utiful

That is one impressive catch. We saw you pass us after we launched and figured you for deep-water fishing.
We wouldn't mind going dry on yellows if we had your catch. In fact, we probably would've traded our days' catch; 1 small yellow, 2 nice calicos and a just legal ling, for yours. Or even the GPS coordinates.
Your wife should be happy. That's some mighty fine eating .
Old 08-12-2005, 01:57 PM   #16
madscientist

A&J, Sorry I didn't say hi on the beach. In my morning stupor I didn't recognize you two. Glad to hear you got some.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:02 PM   #17
Aaron&Julie

Nothing but a chicken wing

Hey Mad,
No biggie, we too were in our pre-fishing groove. We'll say hi next time .