Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-17-2017, 06:33 AM   #1
FISH11

La Jolla 6-16-17 Birthday Party

Today is my birthday, so what else would I do but take the day off work and go fish La Jolla. I knew the weather was going to be great and the surf and wind forecast was looking good. Got a little late start but I figured there was no reason to hurry. Just have fun. Launched around 6:30 and went out to make bait. It was a little hard to find and I made 4 sardines and one greenback. I already knew Sardines suck, the are way too fragile. They won't stay alive in the live well. Pinned one on before they all died. Trolled around while still trying to make more bait. After about 40 minutes something takes it and start the clicker going but not too fast and then it stops. I'm thinking fric*** sea lion, so I start reeling it in to check the bait and as it get closer I see what's following it, a Thresher. I don't feel like dealing with a Thresher today so I start reeling it in much faster and find the bait was all racked and messed up. I throw it in and start going back towards the cove to make more bait. Peddle through the kelp and still can't find any, so I figure they have to be on the outside of the kelp. On the way south I spot a bunch of other kayak, some boats and a couple solo skiffs all hanging close, as I get closer I see bait jumping and fish crashing it in large numbers. I pull out my jig rod with the shimano flat fall jig. I start throwing it over and into the boils. after a couple cast I'm on and next thing I know I just landed the biggest Calico I have ever caught. Chased more boils and got another, this one was like 1" shorter. Kept throwing hopping for a Yellow but nothing. So I Continue going out to deeper water hopping for boils out there, but only find bait. Trolled around for hours still looking, as I'm heading back north I notice some boils somewhere close to the previous time. As I and several boats are getting close and the guys on the boat are tossing irons, I get the flat fall ready to cast and just as I'm about to heave it, my fly line starts screaming. I put the other rod back and wind up the other rod with the sabiki. In the time I took it took the line into the kelp. I knew that was going to be a problem because we were in only 57' of water and the kelp was from about 30' to the bottom. I start the fight and I'm using that light set up again, so I can't just pull as hard as I want. I had to be a little bit smarter and take a little time. Thing is that is why we use 65 lb braid and 40 lb fluorocarbon leader with Owner Mutu Circle hook. I can hear the guys on the boats around me going look the guy on the kayak is on. guys are whooping and going "Alright look at the sleigh ride", all I could do was smile and shake my head in agreement. It was a sweet feeling. After a little while I can feel the braid cutting through the kelp and long pieces come up as I get it to color. When I finally get it to the surface it's got a huge salad bowl of kelp all around it and it made it harder to see well and get a quick gaff shot. Landed it and was so glad the braid did the work and even with the light set up I was able to land it. At the landing it weighed 18.9 lbs after having bled it on the water. It turned out to be a great Birthday fishing day.
Attached Images

Last edited by FISH11; 06-18-2017 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Added more pictures
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:38 AM   #2
iethinker

Great story and adventure! Congrats on fishes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:55 AM   #3
kayakfisherman

Happy Birthday Mark! Good things happen to good people!! Not always, but a lot of the times!!!!! Thanks for the report, I'm living thru you guys this summer.
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:18 AM   #4
jorluivil

Happy birthday old man!!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:55 AM   #5
Deamon

Happy. birthday Mr. Consistency! Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:08 AM   #6
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Happy birthday

Thanks for the report
Old 06-17-2017, 09:33 AM   #7
C. Cary

Happy birthday. What a fun day on the water.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:17 PM   #8
FullFlavorPike

Happy birthday!
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #9
FISH11

Thanks guys. Yeah Jorge, I definitely feel like an old man went I get back to the landing after a long day and have to pull up the kayak up far enough up the sand with a large Yellow inside the Fish Kill Bag on the bow (especially when they are over 30 lbs). But I'm not complaining because it's a good problem to have.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #10
YakDout
Brandon

Good looking fish mark, happy birthday. Have to love making the boaters jealous.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #11
FISH11

Talking

Old 06-17-2017, 05:36 PM   #12
h2ofishfo

Good job mark you ever paddle out on that shitty day I saw you
Old 06-17-2017, 07:08 PM   #13
FISH11

No Gabe, I ended up leaving just after you did. I kept looking at the forecast and it was looking the same, so on Monday I ended up fishing all over Mission Bay and out the jetty to see if it was any better. Once just out of the jetty it was all messed up like a washing machine, so I just came back in and finished fishing in the jetty. Caught a bunch of Spotties, but it just made me miss being out at LJ. Maybe I'll see you out there on Monday.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:31 PM   #14
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Yea buddy!

Sweet bday Marky Mark!

Old 06-17-2017, 10:28 PM   #15
h2ofishfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
No Gabe, I ended up leaving just after you did. I kept looking at the forecast and it was looking the same, so on Monday I ended up fishing all over Mission Bay and out the jetty to see if it was any better. Once just out of the jetty it was all messed up like a washing machine, so I just came back in and finished fishing in the jetty. Caught a bunch of Spotties, but it just made me miss being out at LJ. Maybe I'll see you out there on Monday.
got all next week off maybe I'll see you then
Old 06-18-2017, 07:29 AM   #16
blitzburgh

Rad story and nice feeeeshes! That's my Dad's birthday too! Happy birthday!
Old 06-18-2017, 07:36 AM   #17
summers in kuwait

Great write up Mark! Congrats on the fish and Happy Birthday!
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:14 AM   #18
FISH11

Thanks Todd, just added some more pictures.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #19
Cbad Mike

Nice report and happy belated birthday!