Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
ore714

Cool 06/17-2016 2nd time at La Jolla

The conditions looked great so I decided to head to La Jolla to try my luck for a 2nd time since last week I got fur bagged too many times and got my skunk on. Anyhow I got on the water about 530am and it was an easy launch with small 1 foot waves. Made bait fairly quickly with 8 good sized macks on the way out. Headed south around the point and fly lined a mack about 630 my line started to run a bit and after a few seconds I turned the turner and I was on. Then a Thresher shark made a dazzling few jumps and I was then on a nice sleigh ride for the next hour. I was using a 30lb leader with 65lb braid and for such a big fish I was surprised I didn't bust off. I got the shark up to my kayak 3 times and I saw that he was easily over a 100lbs and I wasn't sure how I could bring him in without a rope so I cut him loose. Fun ride and nice fight on lighter gear. About 745am another shark was slapping my bait so I reeled it and the shark followed hung around under my kayak for a few which was kind of creepy because it was another good sized thresher shark . After that I needed more bait as most of my other ones died. A big bait ball of sardines swam by so I snagged a few of those and only pinned on one since they live long in the bait tube. I trolled the sardine around in 40 to 60 feet water for about two hours then some took it and my reel was screaming. I was using a circle hook and I ended up trying to set hook by mistake and pulled it out....DOH! I assume it must have been yellow by the way it ran but who knows. Anyhow found a few more Spanish macks one got hit by something toothy maybe another shark or an angry bass. After that it was about noon and I decided to head in. I saw that several guys caught some fish...however it was a fun day on the water but no take home fish. I will probably try again next Friday if the conditions are good.

-gabe
ore714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:58 PM   #2
FISH11

Congrats on the sleigh ride, they are so much fun. I know the feeling of getting a thresher over 100 lbs and without help and the right tools it's wiser to cut it loose. There have been quite a few Threshers hanging out lately.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:37 AM   #3
blitzburgh

Nice! Keep working it!