Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-04-2015, 05:54 PM   #21
kaya_one

Nice one. You are pretty consistent these days. I was wondering where all the Hali reports are. So out of all the baits....(here's that question again)...which is the bait of choice?
kaya_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:26 PM   #22
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

You just keep 1 uppin yourself. Last time I saw u, it was hunt for the legal ling (check that one off) now on to the 40lb butt. What's next? Very nice fish indeed!!
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:34 PM   #23
ctfphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillyak View Post
You just keep 1 uppin yourself. Last time I saw u, it was hunt for the legal ling (check that one off) now on to the 40lb butt. What's next? Very nice fish indeed!!
Thanks man, offshore rest of summer I think, 4 species I can think of
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #24
Irishman

Very nice Hali!! I spent a year at sd bay honing my comfort level on the kayak. Learnt reel quick to time the day with incoming and outgoing tides, nothing like being at the Zuniga jetty and paddling against the wind and an outgoing tide trying to get to shelter island. Have had three decent sized keepers and lost a similar sized one your holding. Actually found LJ to be an easier paddling experience than SD bay as no boat wakes, buffoons on yachts or being hassled by navy boats to move along. Still stoked you got a doormat to add to your catch.
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:01 PM   #25
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
He was missing quite a few teeth, wonder if a game clip does damage?
I don't recall who told me this but I was told that whenever divers catch trophy halibut they always run the clip/stinger through their eyes instead of through the gills and mouth so that the clip doesn't damage their teeth.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:06 PM   #26
JeffB

Very nice barn door!
Old 08-04-2015, 08:08 PM   #27
HobieScot

Wide Open Halibut Bite plus PB at 40 Pounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I don't recall who told me this but I was told that whenever divers catch trophy halibut they always run the clip/stinger through their eyes instead of through the gills and mouth so that the clip doesn't damage their teeth.

I do the same thing while spear fishing. Not so much to save the teeth, more so because it's nice and secure and it subdues the fish real fast. I usually do it while the butt is still pinned to the sand with my spear. I'm not sure if a spike thru the eyes brains the butt or not butt it stops the fight pretty fast. I make sure the stringer is thru the eyes and closed before I let off pressure from the spear that is still pinning the butt to the sand.

We are also using a totally different type of stringer which is a three inch pointed spike attached to about 3 feet of 200lb mono which is attached to a clip that you attach back to the spike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by HobieScot; 08-04-2015 at 08:30 PM.
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:27 PM   #28
HobieScot

I realized after I typed that last post that it might be hard to picture the type of stringer we use for spear fishing if you have never seen one before so I included a pic
Attached Images

HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:21 AM   #29
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

Great photo Chris! And I love the swap.... can't wait to eat your halibut!

We got so much ahi (yft) that it is a perfect trade. As of today, in my freezer I have tons of YT, some dorado and YFT from Tuesday, and your halibut..... wow! I am just on cloud 9 for culinary delights.

And my wife is working on perfecting the Mai Tai..... life is soooooo good!

Last night Dorado with garlic butter (guys..... adding lots of butter keeps it so moist, just can't stand to have it dried out) tonight seared ahi, and some sushi chunks, next day.... maybe the halibut! Whole family loves teriyaki soaked 'fish-ka-babs', with onion and pineapple....

"Just another sushi summer...." (to the tune of "Just another Manic Monday"....)

Great story and butt!
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote