Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #1
Murray

8/4 Report

Launched at 5:30 and was met with some really nice surf. Got lucky and timed the sets perfect so all good. Wondered how the landing was going to go the rest of the morning....ha ha. Ended up backing in and it worked perfect. Felt like a real pro. Making bait at the pier and north was rough...1 small greenie. Went outside then to corner with no strikes. Ground swells made the ride exciting. Not many yakkers out today so did not see anyone hooked up. Wish I had more intel but that is about it. Hopefully, someone else can report more useful info.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:30 PM   #2
svendawg

explain

Can you explain how you back in. I always thought about trying it but not really sure how it done. Do you have a PA or so other type of Hobie.
I take it this is done with the rudder up and mirage drive lock in the up position. (if you have a Hobie)
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:46 PM   #3
chris138
donkey roper

thanks for the report! all info is good.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:28 PM   #4
Pocoloco

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendawg View Post
Can you explain how you back in. I always thought about trying it but not really sure how it done. Do you have a PA or so other type of Hobie.
I take it this is done with the rudder up and mirage drive lock in the up position. (if you have a Hobie)
Seems the way to do it with the PAs. Works for me. Paddlle into the surf as it backs you in. Not sure with bigger surf but 3ft. And under works.
Pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:10 PM   #5
Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendawg View Post
Have an outback. Rudder and drive up using paddle to keep bow into the waves. Nice thing is that if a big wave approaches, you just paddle into it. Once it has passed, continue back paddling. Once out of the break zone(do not hang there), the surge and back paddling will get you home. Today was a good test and it worked. Try it on small days to get confidence. Good luck.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #6
sdfishin..alex
Banned

Was out today got 2 went to pier got one greenie and one Spanish
sdfishin..alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #7
rdahl

Went out Monday evening. Plenty of gbacks out off the pier and further out under birds. Lots of seals out there. Need some whitey to clean that up. The gbacks were extra large models. No bites, went in at dark.
rdahl is offline   Reply With Quote