Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2015, 09:01 AM   #21
ful-rac
Emperor

Still worth the upgrade

Iv'e used the new mirage drive for about 2 months now...and it's still amazing!
Old 04-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #22
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Hey Tony,
With the new drive are the turbo fins really necessary now?
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #23
ful-rac
Emperor

I think so! If you got the PA get the turbofins.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:57 PM   #24
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
I can only handle the Outback Tony.
My back injuries (even if I opt for surgery) limits my carrying ability and the PA's are "TANKS"!
They are too big for me to handle (I'm only 5'5"). I'm unable to load/unload one (on my Escape) and don't have a truck to transport (Ladder rack) and I don't care for trailering.
I was just wondering if I could get away with just the standard fins when I finally order a new Outback (I plan on ordering an extra Mirage Drive with mine and a repair kit on the off chance anything happens when I finally make a trip with Bob to Gonzaga).
FFY
Old 04-09-2015, 05:00 PM   #25
YakDout
Brandon

Definitely get the turbo fins. When I upgraded my 2013 revo from stock to turbo, I was kicking myself for not doing it sooner. It's going to cause a little more resistance with each stroke, but that thing was a rocket after the turbo fins. I almost tried racing the new seaforth once.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:24 PM   #26
FlyFishinYakr

Thanks for the info Brandon.
I've had the Turbos on my 2013 from the beginning and don't know/remember what it's like to not have them (then again I haven't been out on my Outback since I last went out to "The Lagoon" @ Castaic to dial in the FF back in July of 2013.)
I thought that I might not need them with the improvement to the Drive.
Maybe I'll only upgrade one of the drives (and regret it later, I know!) and borrow from the 2013 unless I decide to sell it. I was just trying to save a little $ (penny save, pound foolish I know).
Appreciate the insight though Brandon.
FFY
Old 04-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #27
ful-rac
Emperor

Roby has the new outback + the new drive with the standard st fins...and he likes it, a little bit slower but almost no resistance when pedaling compared to the st turbo fins. Me personally I like to have some resistance there...I tried his turbo fins and I tell ya....it felt like pedaling masts with no fins! They will get you moving though, you just have to have a faster cadence.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:09 AM   #28
farmer

New Drive

Thanks for your report Tony very good and detailed. Missed it the first time it was posted. Will be giving Andy a call Thanks again.
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #29
svendawg

Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendawg View Post
Andy

Do you have the GT drums in stock yet.
My current ST drive is getting real sloppy so it's time to upgrade.
Is it necessary to replace the main shaft also

Also, in a pinch if a sprocket breaks OTW. Is it possible to use the older ST sprocket as a replacement on the side that broke to get back to shore or do I need the GT sprocket in my repair kit.
Spoke to Andy yesterday morning and ordered the parts for the upgrade. Got the parts today in the mail. GREAT customer service. Thanks Andy
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:37 PM   #30
YakDout
Brandon

Hey Sven, lip ripper posted a pretty good tutorial for replacing the parts. One thing I can say when installing is Very careful to not let every needle in the bearings to fall out when pushing it. But if they do, and they might, add a bunch of marine grease to keep them stuck on the outside of the hole.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #31
svendawg

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Hey Sven, lip ripper posted a pretty good tutorial for replacing the parts. One thing I can say when installing is Very careful to not let every needle in the bearings to fall out when pushing it. But if they do, and they might, add a bunch of marine grease to keep them stuck on the outside of the hole.
I printed out lip rippers instructions. I will be referring to it during the upgrade
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:54 PM   #32
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
FFY, TURBO fins all the way.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:21 PM   #33
bigbarrels

Just picked up the new mirage drive/Revo from Andy today and after reading this post can't wait to get on the water and give it a go. Definitely seems smoother just by moving them with my hands.

Thank you again Andy for putting together another kayak for me .
Old 04-12-2015, 10:48 AM   #34
IN2DEEP

For you guys doing the upgrade to you older drives, I would closely examine the drum shaft for wear.
If you see any wear, I would seriously consider replacing it with a new one so your drive will be like new and not just "reconditioned"
I've heard it said that you can knock out the shaft and rotate it. This is okay for the bushing models, but with needle bearings, you want the close tolerance between the bearing and shaft
My drive is only 1 1/2 yrs old and I was surprised how much wear had occured in that short amount of time when I took it apart to lube it.
If I sound like I'm full of it, I've been a machinist since 1979